CAK Vs. Wartburg

Respect all, Fear none. That is what one of my football coaches use to preach. I believe it is good advice. Wartburg may not have been very successful over the past but that doesn't mean they are not capable of beating CAK. I learned those hard lessons before, ouch! On paper CAK should be the better team, but the game is played on grass not paper. But I trust the coaches will have the Warriors ready to play this Friday night. IF so, CAK should win by a couple of scores.

FYI: CAK's JV's looked good tonight at Grace Christian. I believe the score was 38-6. This group showed they can find the end zone. You can start to see some of the players stepping forward and putting themselves in a position to be good varsity players next year. They also beat Loudon last week.

I agree Footballdad. If the games were played only on paper it would be alot less exciting on Friday nights!

I'm really glad to hear the JV team has looked so good so far this year. Are they primarily running on offense or throwing it around a little too? Have they looked pretty stong on defense? I would enjoy hearing some more details.

The middle school program has looked fantastic so far. They are 3-0, with only one TD scored against them to date. They have played Harriman (some great games with them over the last cpl years), and the 2 middle schools from Oak Ridge. They have won convincingly and frankly could have scored much more had they chosen to. There are a number of kids playing that if they continue to work hard (and grow!) will be a big asset to the HS program in a couple of years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Footballdad. If the games were played only on paper it would be alot less exciting on Friday nights!

I'm really glad to hear the JV team has looked so good so far this year. Are they primarily running on offense or throwing it around a little too? Have they looked pretty stong on defense? I would enjoy hearing some more details.

The middle school program has looked fantastic so far. They are 3-0, with only one TD scored against them to date. They have played Harriman (some great games with them over the last cpl years), and the 2 middle schools from Oak Ridge. They have won convincingly and frankly could have scored much more had they chosen to. There are a number of kids playing that if they continue to work hard (and grow!) will be a big asset to the HS program in a couple of years.

Govolsknox:

Let me clarify "looking good". You know these guys don't really practice as a complete unit until warm ups for the JV games. So they are not a cohesive team yet. They wear practice jerseys, no game jerseys, and our QB's still have on the blue jerseys, which looks odd. Of course the QB's can be hit but the blue jersey is like a target on them. The team makes lots of mistakes still, but under the circumstances they are doing fairly well. I wasn't sure they would even be able to line up against Loudon, due to lack of practice, but they actually put together special teams an hour before the game and went out and executed pretty well. Loudon was big and tough but our guys hung in there with them. They beat Loudon 16-14, but we fumbled once inside the 10 yd line and killed the clock on about the 20 yd line to end the game. Nice physical game to learn from.

At Grace lastnight we showed much improvement over the previous week, but Grace's JV weren't as strong as Loudon's. We threw the ball all over the place! Some real nice deep balls and fades as well. The receivers have improved a great deal from the start of practice. They were catching over the shoulder passes, finger tip grabs, and over the middle snags and holding on even after big hits. The running game looked good too, with some real hard running by the backs. Blocking is getting better, very little pressure put on the QB's and when there was some pressure the QB's got positive yards running or threw on the run for completions. I would estimate close to 300 yards passing between the 2 QB's lastnight, 5 TD passes, a couple of interceptions, close to 100 yards running by the backs, and 1 punt return for a TD. Defensively, we were much stronger and aggressive than they were. We seem to start of slow, not very physical, but after the first couple of series our defense starts hitting people pretty good. The DL has some quick and strong players and they make a lot of hits in the backfield. We still need to improve our tackling skills, just like our varsity needs to. Tackling too high, not wrapping up, etc... but they are improving.

Sorry, didn't mean to take this thread to the topic of JV football, but I know you like following all of the CAK teams and wanted some details.

at sunbright we are 2-2 winning last week 34-0. our jv played against the warts the other night and lost. pretty sure they were playing varsity guys on jv probably seniors. we killed them in a pre-season scrimmage so they had to find a way to beat us. CAK wins by as much as they want to win by in this won. GEAUX TIGERS

Get it through your head Idiot, you did not kill Wartburg in the pre-season scrimmage. Your team had 54 yards in total offense. There were not seniors on the JV game. Just got your butts kicked by a better group of kids. Your schedule has more cup cakes than a bakery. So go ahead and talk your talk, but everyone else knows the true story.

Get it through your head Idiot, you did not kill Wartburg in the pre-season scrimmage. Your team had 54 yards in total offense. There were not seniors on the JV game. Just got your butts kicked by a better group of kids. Your schedule has more cup cakes than a bakery. So go ahead and talk your talk, but everyone else knows the true story.

I concur here Getit. I don't have a dog in the race here, so all I'm saying is just opinion based, but from what I heard and read, Sunbright didn't beat Wartburg in that scrimmage by any means. He's also calling several teams in the area "the worst" and such, which I think is wrong. After seeing Coalfield drill OS Friday night, I think the tigers better be ready to play when that game comes around; not to mention Midway, Harriman, Greenback, and Oneida. He needs to remember that those teams aren't Pickett County!!

Govolsknox:

Let me clarify "looking good". You know these guys don't really practice as a complete unit until warm ups for the JV games. So they are not a cohesive team yet. They wear practice jerseys, no game jerseys, and our QB's still have on the blue jerseys, which looks odd. Of course the QB's can be hit but the blue jersey is like a target on them. The team makes lots of mistakes still, but under the circumstances they are doing fairly well. I wasn't sure they would even be able to line up against Loudon, due to lack of practice, but they actually put together special teams an hour before the game and went out and executed pretty well. Loudon was big and tough but our guys hung in there with them. They beat Loudon 16-14, but we fumbled once inside the 10 yd line and killed the clock on about the 20 yd line to end the game. Nice physical game to learn from.

At Grace lastnight we showed much improvement over the previous week, but Grace's JV weren't as strong as Loudon's. We threw the ball all over the place! Some real nice deep balls and fades as well. The receivers have improved a great deal from the start of practice. They were catching over the shoulder passes, finger tip grabs, and over the middle snags and holding on even after big hits. The running game looked good too, with some real hard running by the backs. Blocking is getting better, very little pressure put on the QB's and when there was some pressure the QB's got positive yards running or threw on the run for completions. I would estimate close to 300 yards passing between the 2 QB's lastnight, 5 TD passes, a couple of interceptions, close to 100 yards running by the backs, and 1 punt return for a TD. Defensively, we were much stronger and aggressive than they were. We seem to start of slow, not very physical, but after the first couple of series our defense starts hitting people pretty good. The DL has some quick and strong players and they make a lot of hits in the backfield. We still need to improve our tackling skills, just like our varsity needs to. Tackling too high, not wrapping up, etc... but they are improving.

Sorry, didn't mean to take this thread to the topic of JV football, but I know you like following all of the CAK teams and wanted some details.

I appreciate the details; that's what I was hoping for. Sounds like they are making marked improvement and playing well, particularly given the lack of practicing as a unit. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guys are called on this week. I hope they are ready!

Speaking of this week, any word on injuries and availability?

A friend of mine's son plays for CAK and he said that the issue of twisting ankles, etc. was addressed in practice and the players who were accused confessed and stayed after practice for a little "reminder" not to do it again. Hopefully this is settled that the CAK organization does not endorse foul play. Sometimes individuals make mistakes. Now maybe we can move on to the Wartburg game and let these CLASSY people from Page get back to their OWN boards

Yes individuals do make mistakes....and another CLASSY shot at Page. At least the players did have the courage to speak up and take their medicine, can't say that about some of the CLASSY fans. No apology necessary...or needed or expected about the ankle twisting. I sure hope our QB gets to be 100% after that....hey govols....as long as we are brought up in your other threads...it won't go unnoticed. Let's see...you won and you are still complaining about our fans...get over it!

I appreciate the details; that's what I was hoping for. Sounds like they are making marked improvement and playing well, particularly given the lack of practicing as a unit. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guys are called on this week. I hope they are ready!

Speaking of this week, any word on injuries and availability?

Most of the players available last week will be available this week. They've been resting #9 at practice, but he will be available for as long as they need him. #42 is nursing an upper body injury he got Friday night in the game and will probably try to rest him if possible. #18 went down with a knee injury today at practice, will be evaluated tomorrow, but most likely not available Friday night, he was #42's offensive backup. The #23 hasn't practiced but looks like his injury isn't as serious as first thought, probably available for the game. The #20 has been practicing this week, but after the long layoff he is still working his way into playing condition, should be available though. Still some guys nursing other aches and pains, but should all be available. Although others who read these posts may believe that our "injury report" is simply gamemanship, CAK is truly a wounded team. They are simply playing through it. However; we will have enough healthy players to go out and play Friday night and hopefully get the win.

Most of the players available last week will be available this week. They've been resting #9 at practice, but he will be available for as long as they need him. #42 is nursing an upper body injury he got Friday night in the game and will probably try to rest him if possible. #18 went down with a knee injury today at practice, will be evaluated tomorrow, but most likely not available Friday night, he was #42's offensive backup. The #23 hasn't practiced but looks like his injury isn't as serious as first thought, probably available for the game. The #20 has been practicing this week, but after the long layoff he is still working his way into playing condition, should be available though. Still some guys nursing other aches and pains, but should all be available. Although others who read these posts may believe that our "injury report" is simply gamemanship, CAK is truly a wounded team. They are simply playing through it. However; we will have enough healthy players to go out and play Friday night and hopefully get the win.

I really hate to hear #18 got hurt. We need him at FB and depth for LB. I believe he would have seen significant time this week. He will be in my family's prayers. Please keep me posted if you hear anything else on how serious the injury is.

If 42 is out it may put more pressure on 24 and 1 to go both ways. Is 26 the likely back up for 42 on defense with 20 still not 100%? Hopefully, 8 and others may see some time if 9 is still questionable. We will certainly have to have him next week. Is 9's foot hurt too or shoulder only?

As you know, I've been waiting to see 20 get back to the line up. Having him available for the rest of the season takes pressure off 42, 1, etc. but also adds a significant weapon. I suspect we will not see him on defense for 42, but only on offense?

How about our OL and DL? Other than 92's broken hand are we in pretty good shape? Also, any further word on 88 and 81? I have heard 88 may be back for Alcoa.?.

I gathered 23 was not hurt as badly as it looked at first. It would be hard to overstate IMO the importance of having him on the field the rest of the season.

BTW, I have been impressed with the DL. They seem to be improving every week. 67 had a monster game last week; he is turning into the force everyone predicted. Love 64's speed and motor. 92 is a handful and I liked seeing him at end some last week. I know the idea was probably to make it harder to run away from him by putting him at DT, but he sure looks like a natural at DE. I would have loved to see him get a few snaps at TE, and he can move. He looks like a college TE to me, but with a broken hand that might be a little sketchy...

I really hate to hear #18 got hurt. We need him at FB and depth for LB. I believe he would have seen significant time this week. He will be in my family's prayers. Please keep me posted if you hear anything else on how serious the injury is.

If 42 is out it may put more pressure on 24 and 1 to go both ways. Is 26 the likely back up for 42 on defense with 20 still not 100%? Hopefully, 8 and others may see some time if 9 is still questionable. We will certainly have to have him next week. Is 9's foot hurt too or shoulder only?

As you know, I've been waiting to see 20 get back to the line up. Having him available for the rest of the season takes pressure off 42, 1, etc. but also adds a significant weapon. I suspect we will not see him on defense for 42, but only on offense?

How about our OL and DL? Other than 92's broken hand are we in pretty good shape? Also, any further word on 88 and 81? I have heard 88 may be back for Alcoa.?.

I gathered 23 was not hurt as badly as it looked at first. It would be hard to overstate IMO the importance of having him on the field the rest of the season.

BTW, I have been impressed with the DL. They seem to be improving every week. 67 had a monster game last week; he is turning into the force everyone predicted. Love 64's speed and motor. 92 is a handful and I liked seeing him at end some last week. I know the idea was probably to make it harder to run away from him by putting him at DT, but he sure looks like a natural at DE. I would have loved to see him get a few snaps at TE, and he can move. He looks like a college TE to me, but with a broken hand that might be a little sketchy...

I believe your on target with #26 getting some reps on defense, I believe the #20 will see only offensive snaps. The #24 and #8 will see action at #9's spot. #9's foot is ok. #88 is improving and should be available by Alcoa, #81 I'm not sure about, still in a sling. OL/DL in pretty good shape, but #54 didn't practice until today due to an injury from Friday nights game, but should be available. #67 is getting better each week, happy he is just a sophomore! He may be a two way guy next year. IMO #92 is more effective at DE, I hope they keep him there. I'll let you know about #18 whenever I hear anything.

Thanks for the injury report. Sorry to throw out all the questions. I am excited to see how focused and sharp the team comes out this week. I hope that the guys take nothing for granted and come out and take control early.

I pull for Wartburg against all of their opponents except CAK. I would like to see them continue to improve and become a region contender. I just don't want it to start this week. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />