Greeneville @ Cocke Co.

tricitiessportsfan

way to go greeneville... this slaughter was much needed as barb mentioned earlier. hopefully it will boost confidence of the greeneville boys although it was expected. hopefully they can come out with a win this coming week at home against mercer co... does anyone know what mercer is lookin like this year?....... and by the way i loved the one handed interception by 13 but this of course was only one of the turnovers the greene devils caused the fighting cockes to give up. good luck next week to the devils and good luck to the cockes also .... and thanks for the chicken crap on your visitors' stands it really seemed to help your team. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> roosters for dinner anyone?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way to go greeneville... this slaughter was much needed as barb mentioned earlier. hopefully it will boost confidence of the greeneville boys although it was expected. hopefully they can come out with a win this coming week at home against mercer co... does anyone know what mercer is lookin like this year?....... and by the way i loved the one handed interception by 13 but this of course was only one of the turnovers the greene devils caused the fighting cockes to give up. good luck next week to the devils and good luck to the cockes also .... and thanks for the chicken crap on your visitors' stands it really seemed to help your team. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> roosters for dinner anyone?

good game by greeneville..got some pretty good athletes

i think putting #24 at QB for cocke county gives them a better chance of moving the ball and making a play on the ground and in the air for the rest of the season

you need to have a little more confidence in youre guys there cchs2 thats one of the things they need right now. A little support and confidence in your team and coaches can go a long way.

Support in coaches is the key. I have heard so much out of Newport and maybe they need to hire better coaches to support Kelly instead of young and inexperienced coaches plus retreads that call themselves coaches. I hear CCHS is losing a load of seniors and even their size. So whats next year have in store? If 1-9 or 0-10 is the norm, whats next.... actually scoring points in a ball game? It's really lousy for the kids as well and I'm actually suprised they still even have a team after barely winning 8 games in the past 5 years.... thats pathetic in my book...

CCHS used to have some great players and really put the hat to people back in the early to mid 90's. Yes, everything comes full circle, but there has to be some sort of problem there with something. How can you go over and over losing like that?

I got wind of some news that CCHS had a coach last year that used to be a coach at Ole Miss and Tennessee a long time ago back in the mid 80's. He was even head of recruiting at Tennessee at some point! I heard he left because they would not allow him to teach kids and work with kids in the summer and after practice for running and receiver drills. The coach wanted the head job and they never interviewed him. CCHS later offered him.... (drum-roll please...) THE FRESHMAN JOB! Talk about a smack in the face! I thought this was a load of crap and then I get other news about a former NFL combine strength and conditioning coach that was in the area. I was told that he worked with something like 5 of the football players and the rest were either too lazy or told by the coach to stay away. It does not make sense, but I did see an artice in the Newport paper back in the winter that suggests that the NFL guy was told not to come back. I hear the former college coach left and took another job in Cumberland Co. The NFL guy I think went back to the NFL -dolphins?. If I had those 2 guys in my backyard, I would be twisting their arms to come and make our team better!!!

All in all, Im not bashing CCHS, it may seem like it, but when you have good people that are trying to help, why get rid of them? Truth hurts sometimes... Is it jealously? Pride? I mean, it sounds that way. I live in Chattanooga, so it's hard to get to the bottom of things.... but I cannot put my finger on it when I hear of rumors of lack of player development, lack of a feeder system, lack of community support, etc, etc. I heard from a parent (son has played 2 or 3 years at the school) that this summers workouts at CCHS consisted of the weightroom door being unlocked for the players to come in and sign their names without any supervision! GET REAL... this is not the 80's! Other things like cancelling and not scheduling scrimmages because of fear that players will get hurt gives your players zero confidence. Players need to learn and become battle tested and the last time I checked.... football is a copntact sport. If you get a few players banged up, gues what ol' ball coaches.... it's up to YOU to get others ready!

If this thread suggests anything, maybe Greenville should be the model. They had a couple of losing seasons and they went out and got a coach.... new staff... changed everything almost overnight! It shows that winning can happen and it can happen with the right staff, right work ethic, and the coaches actually doing everything in their power to win and be successful. GHS went from not making the playoffs to winning the conference.... WITH THE SAME PLAYERS! Get your heads out of your arses CCHS... it's time you guys get a new adminstration, new football coaches, and new attitude or maybe it would be best to eliminate football from athletics because word is... women's and men's basketball is the cash cow, so spare me... "We aint got the athletes" crap!

There has got to be some other thing in Newport holding athletics back. Basketball is winning, and other sports are average at best, but football is horrible... one of the worst programs in the state the past 4 years. I think Kelly is right for the job, but ol saying goes... it's hard to fly with the eagle's when your surrounded by turkey's!

Support in coaches is the key. I have heard so much out of Newport and maybe they need to hire better coaches to support Kelly instead of young and inexperienced coaches plus retreads that call themselves coaches. I hear CCHS is losing a load of seniors and even their size. So whats next year have in store? If 1-9 or 0-10 is the norm, whats next.... actually scoring points in a ball game? It's really lousy for the kids as well and I'm actually suprised they still even have a team after barely winning 8 games in the past 5 years.... thats pathetic in my book...

CCHS used to have some great players and really put the hat to people back in the early to mid 90's. Yes, everything comes full circle, but there has to be some sort of problem there with something. How can you go over and over losing like that?

I got wind of some news that CCHS had a coach last year that used to be a coach at Ole Miss and Tennessee a long time ago back in the mid 80's. He was even head of recruiting at Tennessee at some point! I heard he left because they would not allow him to teach kids and work with kids in the summer and after practice for running and receiver drills. The coach wanted the head job and they never interviewed him. CCHS later offered him.... (drum-roll please...) THE FRESHMAN JOB! Talk about a smack in the face! I thought this was a load of crap and then I get other news about a former NFL combine strength and conditioning coach that was in the area. I was told that he worked with something like 5 of the football players and the rest were either too lazy or told by the coach to stay away. It does not make sense, but I did see an artice in the Newport paper back in the winter that suggests that the NFL guy was told not to come back. I hear the former college coach left and took another job in Cumberland Co. The NFL guy I think went back to the NFL -dolphins?. If I had those 2 guys in my backyard, I would be twisting their arms to come and make our team better!!!

All in all, Im not bashing CCHS, it may seem like it, but when you have good people that are trying to help, why get rid of them? Truth hurts sometimes... Is it jealously? Pride? I mean, it sounds that way. I live in Chattanooga, so it's hard to get to the bottom of things.... but I cannot put my finger on it when I hear of rumors of lack of player development, lack of a feeder system, lack of community support, etc, etc. I heard from a parent (son has played 2 or 3 years at the school) that this summers workouts at CCHS consisted of the weightroom door being unlocked for the players to come in and sign their names without any supervision! GET REAL... this is not the 80's! Other things like cancelling and not scheduling scrimmages because of fear that players will get hurt gives your players zero confidence. Players need to learn and become battle tested and the last time I checked.... football is a copntact sport. If you get a few players banged up, gues what ol' ball coaches.... it's up to YOU to get others ready!

If this thread suggests anything, maybe Greenville should be the model. They had a couple of losing seasons and they went out and got a coach.... new staff... changed everything almost overnight! It shows that winning can happen and it can happen with the right staff, right work ethic, and the coaches actually doing everything in their power to win and be successful. GHS went from not making the playoffs to winning the conference.... WITH THE SAME PLAYERS! Get your heads out of your arses CCHS... it's time you guys get a new adminstration, new football coaches, and new attitude or maybe it would be best to eliminate football from athletics because word is... women's and men's basketball is the cash cow, so spare me... "We aint got the athletes" crap!

There has got to be some other thing in Newport holding athletics back. Basketball is winning, and other sports are average at best, but football is horrible... one of the worst programs in the state the past 4 years. I think Kelly is right for the job, but ol saying goes... it's hard to fly with the eagle's when your surrounded by turkey's!

Keepin' it real, not everyone has the budget to hire a premier program coach like Greeneville's McCurry.

i'm from cocke county and i know of the two coaches who are supposed to be great. I know you really don't know them so i'm not bashing you, but the wide receiver coach that has had college experience is a football idiot. Sorry, it would be one thing for someone who has coached in college to evolve and learn new things, but this guy had coached in the 50's and then still taught football like it was the 50's. The kids really weren't learning that much seriously. He wanted a lot more power than he deserved. I know you had just heard these things, and like i said i'm not trying to argue, i had just seen his work at the practice field. Sometimes, no matter how much you used to know, coaches must still evolve and continue to learn. bottom line.

i'm from cocke county and i know of the two coaches who are supposed to be great. I know you really don't know them so i'm not bashing you, but the wide receiver coach that has had college experience is a football idiot. Sorry, it would be one thing for someone who has coached in college to evolve and learn new things, but this guy had coached in the 50's and then still taught football like it was the 50's. The kids really weren't learning that much seriously. He wanted a lot more power than he deserved. I know you had just heard these things, and like i said i'm not trying to argue, i had just seen his work at the practice field. Sometimes, no matter how much you used to know, coaches must still evolve and continue to learn. bottom line.

I can understand your logic and even though the coach "appears" old, still a program like CCHS needs that guy's experience as a consultant or even a reference. Yeah the guy may have been around, but he did coach in the SEC for a number of years. What other coach from CCHS can say that? Im just saying....

What about the NFL strength coach? You did not bring him up. I found a few articles from the Newport paper. Sounds like some parents really went to bat for the guy and even to the school board, so he cannot be all that bad... From the second article, it was mentioned that kids who could not afford the training could get it for FREE! WOW!

Article 1

Article 2

I have been around a few years and I have seen former NFL players work with kids either through private training and even camps. If the trainer was doing work in the area for almost a year, why did CCHS just up and slam the door? They should have "hired" the guy as a volunteer coach or something.

Anyways, going back to the old coach... it's true that sometimes the game passes some by. It's one thing to hang around... just as Paterno and Bowden. This coach is still coaching in the high school ranks and was able to get a job in the state. I do not think if the guy "was off his rocker" he would have not been hired or even move away. Would it not have been easier to just quit and never coach again?

Oh well... good luck to CCHS and GHS the rest of the season!

I can understand your logic and even though the coach "appears" old, still a program like CCHS needs that guy's experience as a consultant or even a reference. Yeah the guy may have been around, but he did coach in the SEC for a number of years. What other coach from CCHS can say that? Im just saying....

What about the NFL strength coach? You did not bring him up. I found a few articles from the Newport paper. Sounds like some parents really went to bat for the guy and even to the school board, so he cannot be all that bad... From the second article, it was mentioned that kids who could not afford the training could get it for FREE! WOW!

Article 1

Article 2

I have been around a few years and I have seen former NFL players work with kids either through private training and even camps. If the trainer was doing work in the area for almost a year, why did CCHS just up and slam the door? They should have "hired" the guy as a volunteer coach or something.

Anyways, going back to the old coach... it's true that sometimes the game passes some by. It's one thing to hang around... just as Paterno and Bowden. This coach is still coaching in the high school ranks and was able to get a job in the state. I do not think if the guy "was off his rocker" he would have not been hired or even move away. Would it not have been easier to just quit and never coach again?

Oh well... good luck to CCHS and GHS the rest of the season!

all true my man all true

I'm from cocke county and I know about all this from the papers, players, experience, and parents

The strength guy was here all summer and worked with some of the kids. Most of the parents were in full support and it would have been great because he was willing to do it for basically free. Crawford had a problem with it and told the kids to stay away and then the administration told him to stay away because it was some sort of violation.

The coach did coach way back when at UT and Ole Miss, and did try to put his say into the coaching...but Crawford had a problem with this as well as he liked to have complete control of the program...not sure how good he was because he came the year after I left, but i think sticknmove had it about right. They need to get some quality coaches in this system. I give support to Coach Kelley he knows the game..knows the program..knows the area...and can be a good role model to the kids. The staff of coaches is basically coaches brought back from the 80's and 90's tho. I did like the change to the shotgun at the end of the Greeneville game tho. The whole system is shot all the way down to middle school but they are putting emphasis back into it.

The weight room thing is true from what I have heard as well. It was pretty much the same way my first three years with the program. Come in during the morning sign the sheet and lift as you like. I am pretty sure a coach is always around though.

The whole team is basically seniors...and WOW after this year I really dont kno about the program from here on out. They lose basically the whole team, but I havent seen the freshman or middle school program to know who is coming up. There are athletes in the school...just gotta watch the bastketball teams to know that, but nobody will come out and play. We never have more than 40 kids on the team and the freshman team is basically always moved up. We had 28 players my junior year.

Barb had a point tho..CCHS doesn't have the money that Greeneville has, but at times it has seemed they haven't even cared. I wish all the best to CCHS. I would love to see these kids and parents finally have a program to be proud of. The kids come play hard every friday night and it gets hard to play like this. This was a proud football program that desperately needs to be rebuilt.

Well thank you for your insight as well cchs2. I did not think all of that stuff was made up. Its a shame that the kids that have played have to go out the way they have. I cannot imagine how those 20 seniors you speak of continue to do it. I think what you said about the program's summer lifting speaks volumes about the dedication and discipline of the coaching staff. Just to leave a weight room door open tells me a number of things.... the coaching staff is lazy, there is no discipline or accountability, and it could represent a huge liability if someone was hurt. I will say this, there is no way in hades that we could ever just leave the weightroom freely open. I mean what if small kids came there or someone got hurt? Whoever the athletic directors and principals are... they are foolish to think that they can just allow coaches to leave a faciliy wide open. I cannot believe in this day and time that a school, especially a 4A school would do that.

Anyways, sound like you guys lost 2 quality individuals. Especially the guy with Nfl and pro experience that was willing to train kids for basically free. My main question is... why didn't the head coach Kelly or the athletic director attempt to keep those 2 people? That's what really is mind boggling, especially a program that barely wins one game per year. I would figure that if you wanted to completely turn things around, you try to go and get good people and good coaches. I think the Kelly guy can be a good thing for the program. I heard he was a former small college player and that does help, but how does CCHS figure that a coach like Kelly will stick around if he truely does love football and coaching if the losing seasons pile up? This really sounds like a case where you have some stubborn people behind the scenes and they should be really putting some resources into getting Kelly some quality help. Thanks for the reply, cchs2, it really helped sum up things I hear from friends up there in Newport and Morristown.

Well thank you for your insight as well cchs2. I did not think all of that stuff was made up. Its a shame that the kids that have played have to go out the way they have. I cannot imagine how those 20 seniors you speak of continue to do it. I think what you said about the program's summer lifting speaks volumes about the dedication and discipline of the coaching staff. Just to leave a weight room door open tells me a number of things.... the coaching staff is lazy, there is no discipline or accountability, and it could represent a huge liability if someone was hurt. I will say this, there is no way in hades that we could ever just leave the weightroom freely open. I mean what if small kids came there or someone got hurt? Whoever the athletic directors and principals are... they are foolish to think that they can just allow coaches to leave a faciliy wide open. I cannot believe in this day and time that a school, especially a 4A school would do that.

Anyways, sound like you guys lost 2 quality individuals. Especially the guy with Nfl and pro experience that was willing to train kids for basically free. My main question is... why didn't the head coach Kelly or the athletic director attempt to keep those 2 people? That's what really is mind boggling, especially a program that barely wins one game per year. I would figure that if you wanted to completely turn things around, you try to go and get good people and good coaches. I think the Kelly guy can be a good thing for the program. I heard he was a former small college player and that does help, but how does CCHS figure that a coach like Kelly will stick around if he truely does love football and coaching if the losing seasons pile up? This really sounds like a case where you have some stubborn people behind the scenes and they should be really putting some resources into getting Kelly some quality help. Thanks for the reply, cchs2, it really helped sum up things I hear from friends up there in Newport and Morristown.

Well I think somebody is usually around during the summer lifting, but I think they just go in and out a lot. Not entirely sure though because I've heard both. The administration had a meeting and decided that the strength and conditioning guy wasn't allowed to work with the kids because of insurance issues I believe, not entirely sure on that may have been another issue.

I am afraid Kelley may get run off by the locals, but they need to give him the time and resources necessary to be succesful. He was a linebacker at Emory and Henry and CCHS graduate. He knows his stuff. I've heard the middle school program has some wins, but I haven't seen them play because I'm not around through the week. They have to get some of the basketball athletes and others out to play before this thing gets turned around.

The kids need better around here. I know we all felt like we got slighted during our run. Last season was surrounded by drama and arguments internally and publically. The years before were filled with lack or care or concern by the coaching staff. Thanks for the concern foshizzle, and hopefully this program can get turned around. Best of luck to the Fighting Cocks.

Well I think somebody is usually around during the summer lifting, but I think they just go in and out a lot. Not entirely sure though because I've heard both. The administration had a meeting and decided that the strength and conditioning guy wasn't allowed to work with the kids because of insurance issues I believe, not entirely sure on that may have been another issue.

I am afraid Kelley may get run off by the locals, but they need to give him the time and resources necessary to be succesful. He was a linebacker at Emory and Henry and CCHS graduate. He knows his stuff. I've heard the middle school program has some wins, but I haven't seen them play because I'm not around through the week. They have to get some of the basketball athletes and others out to play before this thing gets turned around.

The kids need better around here. I know we all felt like we got slighted during our run. Last season was surrounded by drama and arguments internally and publically. The years before were filled with lack or care or concern by the coaching staff. Thanks for the concern foshizzle, and hopefully this program can get turned around. Best of luck to the Fighting Cocks.

Okay Roosters --everyone is counting you out so play loose and put up a good fight.

Have a good time and play to win. I hope you get some breaks ---play until the

whistle blows --then you can say you did you best. You are not beat yet.

they lost the coach who had been in the sec because they WANTED TO BRING BACK CCHS FOOTBALL and he wasnt hired or even interviewed because he had been at cosby for so many years and they diddnt want to bring a cosby man into the program. the whole thing is a joke he knows as much or more thananyone on that staff guranteed. and no crawford wasnt a good coach at all . he wouldnt even take a football out on the field on thursday walk through. he wouldnt even use the word win and if any coach used it he would chew their toe

he resented the strength coach in my opinion because he didnt have full control. the man knew more about weight and speed development than any man in cocke county and anyone i know, he was even offered the head strength coach job at THE WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY where he was an alum from but turned it down to take a job in florida .and i know this because i trained wiht him longer than anyone i wsa his first athelete he trained there and soon after more atheletes began training with him when they learned of his knowledge.

another problem is the kids have forgotten howto win. they have lost soo much they accept it isnt a big deal just the usual. there are some but not many who it hasnt truly affected like the rest and they work to win.

and the coaches name is WAYNE STILES he was at both OLE MISS and TENNEESSEE as assistant coach and head recruiter.

hopefully one day CCHS will get back to their winning ways but they are a long way away. the talent is there but there is no desire to play for them.

dont make stupid remarks about a topic you know nothing about. and yea he may be older but football is football and he knows how to teach it just fine. and all he wanted to do was coach and he never really got that chance. your the idiot not knowing what your talking about!!!!!!!!!!!