Congrats to 2 TN Teams on making NATIONAL RANKINGS!

fargen01

Sounds good KWoodroof.....Eye dont wanna git no kickboxer farred up.....Unless of course mommaSTARS is thair two protect me.....Eye know he'll bee impressed wif tha garbige servuss hear..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I understand the garbage service is what attracted him to the area.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go RedTwin ...

Thank you sooo much Southeast21 for letting us all know how disgraceful Maryville really is /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just like I said .... amazing ..... wow , it's amazing how resourceful Maryville is in finding 65 WEAK opponents in a row !! Everybody on board now !! lol , the more Maryville wins , the more clowns show up to tell them how awful they are .

No problem. I just cant see how a team is going to crown themselves the best when they jus go through beating VERY weak teams. I think Maryville is really good, but we will never know how good they are becuase they continue to play these weak teams and if u dont beat the best u cant be the best.

Sorry to have offended you big red big blue but I am just so sick of logging on here and attempting to read some good posts and chat with some good football fans and it turns into a Maryville bashing party. I see you only quoted part of my post and that is typical but if you were being fair you would have read all the posts that lead to what I am saying. I see you have nothing to offer to those who would try to bring down the accomplisments of teenage kids. It is my fault for allowing myself to debate with some on here who have not even gotten out of puberty. I just wish you guys with come up with some new material like who is going to win the games on Friday Night instead "our classification is better than your classification" and "if Maryville played Northwestern High...". See my point? It just gets old and now I remember why I stopped posting for a while.

I know that yes some people are bashing maryville. But me and the rest that are posting about this are just saying yeah yall have had success but its hard to call yourselves the big daddy of the state when you look at your opponents. Im not takin anything away from maryville theyre talented and prolly have great coaching too. but its hurting the program by stayin at such a low level of comepetition. the streak will continue most likely and the only chances of it ending will prolly come the last 2 games of the playoffs. All im tryin to say atleast and i think alot of others are too is look at who you play versus some others that play at a higher level and come out with near perfect records and never come close to seein a national ranking. all im sayin is strength of schedule should play more into the national rankings more than it does.

To Maryville Fans: You have a great program I am not doubting that...But what is the common theme in this tread is that you have not played a single out of state team, played a DII school, or any team worth anything until maybe the state championship throughout this entire 65 game win streak. I said it once and ill say it again, "To be the best, you have to BEAT THE BEST" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

To Maryville Fans: You have a great program I am not doubting that...But what is the common theme in this tread is that you have not played a single out of state team, played a DII school, or any team worth anything until maybe the state championship throughout this entire 65 game win streak. I said it once and ill say it again, "To be the best, you have to BEAT THE BEST" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

So, who is the best IYO?

Need I say more. This post sums up my frustrations with coming on here and trying to have intelligent conversations with football fans. IT NEVER ENDS. EVER. See you on Friday guys.

You're basically saying what I've said all along , and I don't have any problem with you rollredroll (you've always been a classy guy ), but it does surprise me sometimes why it is so hard for some of your fellow MBA fans to just give credit where credit's due ... and just leave it at that ..... without resorting to diminishing Maryville's achievements by saying all the usual stuff , 4A , we don't travel the country to play games , and so forth . Ya , now some Maryville fans have got upset because just take a look how this thread went , just as it always does ... bash Maryville . I never see unprovoked Maryville fans claim superiority over the whole state . Our team's fans should have a great respect and admiration for each other , but it seems to me that can't happen unless Maryville fans place your team much higher than Maryville . I'll just come right out and say it rollredroll , I'm about to the point that I could care less about what a lot of guys think , and that is I do believe Maryville would have beat MBA more than MBA would have beat Maryville the last few years , and yes , I have seen your team play about every year . I'm sure that you believe just the opposite , but what good does it do to put the other team down when we're not even going to play each other . All this said , I do believe , just like Solomon that this may be the most vulnerable team we've had in a while , so I'm not tooting this year's team at all , they've got a long way to go , but they are getting better every week .

BTW rollredroll I, just like you , try to ignore all the little drive by posters who are only here to hate on some team , and only because some of your regular posters felt they had to make sure that Maryville didn't get too much credit , did I decide to voice my opinion . I really wish our 2 teams could call a truce on here because both teams deserve each other's respect and admiration . That is not going to happen as long as some posters feel they have to belittle Maryville's accomplishments though .

Pepvol, here is an example of why those of us that are not Maryville fans get tired of hearing it:

RedSox wrote:

Agree Greyrider. These forums always start out with a good idea then turn to Maryville bashing. Look national rankings are all based on reputation. There are no national playoffs or BCS bowls for high schools so it is pointless to carry on and on about how Maryville could not compete at the National level and how they would get whipped by 15 Florida teams. Listen people you do not live anywhere but here in the great state of Tennessee and in this state Maryville is your daddy. End of story. Get used to it. If Dont like it then move.

You see you can't claim to be "our daddy", when you won't play us or anyone else outside of east tennessee, and the 4A playoffs. I take as much offense to those comments as you take to mine. Clearly it is a 2 way street that you only see as one way.

As to Maryville vs MBA. 04 MBA had a good team with lots of injuries, and we were still one play away from beating MUS in the Semi's who went on to kill BA in the State Championship game. 05 was not as good, and 06 we had a ton of injuries as well and went 4-6. I will give you 05 and 06, but not necesarily 04 or 07. Those both would have been great games.

All of that being said, I have said repeatedly on here that Maryville is a great program, that 65 in a row is a huge accomplishment. Maryville might very well be the best team in the state, they might have beaten us last year, but we will never know will we. We will never know how they would stack up against the other great programs in this state (outside of Alcoa, and 4A), because they won't step out of the comfort zone, and I understand all the reasons why. But until Maryville is ready to step out, stop with the "we're your daddy" talk.

Here's the problem with this thread...its title is not "is Maryville good enough to compete in DII?" It's not "is Maryville good enough to compete in CA, FL or MS?" It's more like "congratulations for an arbitrary recognition that you've worked very hard to earn."

Regardless of your schedule, going 65 straight is a great accomplishment. It means that you've shown up each and every Friday night for multiple years without believing the hype and you've given it your all and have come out on top. That's commendable by any standard...especially for kids. Kids. These are young men who are at least as committed to football as most of us are to anything in our lives. Why do we need to belittle that?

It's not Maryville who ranked themselves. It's not our kids or fans who picked us out of the state as one of the teams worth recognizing. And it's not our fans who made any outrageous claims about our team until we were pushed to defend them. It's a group of boys who have done something so remarkable that the national media has taken notice. Let's not diminish that with qualifications or limitations...for either team.

Here's what I do know: Maryville is the measuring stick of 4A football in the state of TN. Say what you want about TN football or about the classifications of TN football. But in 4A in this state, Maryville has proven itself to be the best. Period.

And that's all we have to do. We're not a national program. We don't recruit nationally. Honestly, we don't really even send out many of our players to compete athletically on a very widespread basis across the nation after they graduate. We are a 4A program. And we're great at that. And we're proud of that.

I don't need to know where these kids stand nationally, because at the end of each season I know that they stand alone at the top of the classification where they compete. That's their goal, and most years it's realized to an unparalelled degree of success. Discussion outside of that rhealm is pointless speculation. It's "sound and fury signifying nothing."

Sorry for the epistle, but in closing I want to just respond directly to a couple of points:

1. Is the MHS schedule weak? It is what it is. To win the gold ball, MHS has to beat the best of 4A, and that's what they do.

2. Could MHS compete outside of TN? No one knows for sure, but there is one source that knows better than anyone who's posted on this thread and I'll give you his opinion to take for whatever it's worth. Coach Blade from Hillsboro had great things to say after playing Maryville in the state championship a couple of years ago. Prior to his move to Nashville he coached in both HS and college in CALIFORNIA (oh, and he was an all-conference player there too at San Diego State). After the loss in the state championship he said of Maryville that they had one of the best offenses he had ever seen and that they could compete with ANY team in the nation. Maybe that was false modesty on his part b/c of the loss, or maybe someone with a legit ability to make this comparison feels differently than many on here do. You'll decide what is most convenient for you to believe, but that opinion came from someone more qualified than any of us to make that call. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

papa their teams aren't in the top 100. That's the underlying problem. 5A in Tennessee is not much better than 4A. In fact, I don't know if they are better at all. I was at the Maryville vs Farragut scrimmage and the game was VERY close, and Maryville played AWEFUL. If Maryville would have played their A game against Farragut, they would have easily beat them by a few scores. And Farragut is number one by a long shot in 5A.

A few years ago, I think it was 2005, when Hunt was a junior and Burnette was a sophomore and we won the state championship. I saw a bunch of Hoover players in their lettermans jackets. They were a part of the team that had the MTV reality show "Two-a-days." After the game I asked them what they thought, and they said Maryville would have demolished them. That Hoover team was in the running for the "National Championship" if you can call it that in highschool. It is all about DYNASTY. Not one year rankings.

papa their teams aren't in the top 100. That's the underlying problem. 5A in Tennessee is not much better than 4A. In fact, I don't know if they are better at all. I was at the Maryville vs Farragut scrimmage and the game was VERY close, and Maryville played AWEFUL. If Maryville would have played their A game against Farragut, they would have easily beat them by a few scores. And Farragut is number one by a long shot in 5A.

A few years ago, I think it was 2005, when Hunt was a junior and Burnette was a sophomore and we won the state championship. I saw a bunch of Hoover players in their lettermans jackets. They were a part of the team that had the MTV reality show "Two-a-days." After the game I asked them what they thought, and they said Maryville would have demolished them. That Hoover team was in the running for the "National Championship" if you can call it that in highschool. It is all about DYNASTY. Not one year rankings.

I don't think Tennessee has enough schools to justify the number of classifications it has. I would love to see them go back to three divisions. At that point a state championship trophy would really have a great deal more meaning. When they give out 7 of them, they just don't have quite the luster.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not intended to diminish the accomplishments of any school or community, or any hypersensitive fans of same. The TSSAA may infer that they're being skewered here, but nobody else.