It's Football Time In The South

Guest longhorns51

And I personally love knowing that UT fans STILL hold a grudge about the '97 Heisman. I don't know if there was ever a player who did more for his team in every aspect of the game than Charles Woodson. Shutdown corner, explosive returner, and served as a key playmaker on offense at times. I dont know If we'll ever see a player like him again.

Did you watch Reggie Bush a few years ago?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Reggie Bush ever player corner?

And since when do corners win the heisman? When do corners get taken first in the draft? Woodson only had 17 offensive touches, so it wasn't like he played both ways and made plays all over the field. He didn't return kicks and his punt returns were pretty modest, 8.4 avg and 1 td. Corners are pretty overrated.

And since when do corners win the heisman? When do corners get taken first in the draft? Woodson only had 17 offensive touches, so it wasn't like he played both ways and made plays all over the field. He didn't return kicks and his punt returns were pretty modest, 8.4 avg and 1 td. Corners are pretty overrated.

The problem with numbers is that they do not tell the whole story. Woodson more often than not was used as a decoy and it worked most of the time as teams were heck bound determined to stop him by doubling him every time he lined up on offense.

You aren't clear on what those years mean.

I was answering your question. "Since when do corners win the Heisman?"-1997 Charles Woodson, first and only defensive player to win the Heisman. "Since when do corners get taken in the first round of the draft."-Pretty much every year, but Woodson was taken in the 1st Round by Oakland in 1998.

I was answering your question. "Since when do corners win the Heisman?"-1997 Charles Woodson, first and only defensive player to win the Heisman. "Since when do corners get taken in the first round of the draft."-Pretty much every year, but Woodson was taken in the 1st Round by Oakland in 1998.

Yeah, I know about Woodson in '97. But I meant corners being taken as the number 1 pick in the draft. It hasn't happened. Corners just aren't as important as a lot of other postions, like ya know, quarterback. And hey, I'm no Peyton Manning fan. I'm anti-Colts all the way. I just think giving the heisman to a cornerback is a joke.

Yeah, I know about Woodson in '97. But I meant corners being taken as the number 1 pick in the draft. It hasn't happened. Corners just aren't as important as a lot of other postions, like ya know, quarterback. And hey, I'm no Peyton Manning fan. I'm anti-Colts all the way. I just think giving the heisman to a cornerback is a joke.

What do you mean corner isn't as important as other positions? First off, every position on the field is important. If one guy doesn't do his job right, the entire team suffers. But broken coverage or losing a half-step on your receiver can be the difference between a win and a loss. Now they may not be the high-profile position like a QB or RB. But a genuine, shutdown corner is becoming a rarity in the football world.

What do you mean corner isn't as important as other positions? First off, every position on the field is important. If one guy doesn't do his job right, the entire team suffers. But broken coverage or losing a half-step on your receiver can be the difference between a win and a loss. Now they may not be the high-profile position like a QB or RB. But a genuine, shutdown corner is becoming a rarity in the football world.

It's not as important because you can mask average corners (not bad ones, though.) The Giants did that last year. Their pass-rush was good enough to keep the heat off the secondary. A good WR can beat a good CB most of the time.

There are great defensive players every year, and in 97 Woodson was one of them. But for decades before 97 and the decade after, the award has been all about Qbs and Rbs. And one random year they decide to give it a cornerback, even when they had a viable canidate at Quarterback. There have been corners before and after Woodson who had just as effective seasons and they didn't even get mentioned in the Heisman race.

First of all, Charles Woodson isn't even the best CB of the 1998 class let alone the best player overall. Patrick Surtain, Samari Rolle, and Duane Starks were all drafted AFTER Charles Woodson that year. I would expect the CB who wins the Heisman to be....I don't know.....perhaps the BEST CB THAT HAS EVER PLAYED or something, but that honor goes to Deion Sanders in my opinion.

Now, as for the postion argument: the Heisman trophy is supposed to go to the "Most outstanding college football player" in the country. However, the day you see a lineman or punter win the award is the day you can honestly make such a claim. Until Tim Tebow's sophomore campaign last year, the Heisman was awarded to the most outstanding Senior or Junior QB or RB (exceptions being Tim Brown & Desmond Howard at WR). I use the prime example of Adrian Peterson's freshman campaign as the ultimate show of bias against young players. In my eyes, the Heisman trophy is slighty more of an honor than a team winning the BCS national TITLE.

For argument sake in this particular matter:

Charles Woodson (1997)- offense: 11 recs 231 yds 2 TD; 3 carries (2 of 3 =-18 yards) 15 yards 1 TD

- defense: 42 tackles (4 for loss) 1 sack, 7 INT

Peyton Manning (1997)- 287-477 60.4% 3819 yds 37 TD 11 INT

I think Woodson won the 1997 Heisman largely on a single game against Ohio State where he returned a punt 78 yards for a TD and intercepted a pass in the endzone to prevent a TD. Basically, it would appear that Woodson's versatility won the trophy for him, at least that is my perspective.

Only YOU yankees keep bringing up a war that was waged 120 years ago, The South has moved on. The northern employeres may pay more, but you still had to move to The South to have a job. My point being if the north is so great, then move back. As for us Southerners we'll stay down here in paradise, cuss ignorant yankees, and enjoy our lives...

Nope we northern folks just move south to take it over as wellplus we take away ur women with our high payin jobs..

Look we are foremost all americans and we should be proud of that

Look i played I@ Notre Dame trips to the big house, etc but I can tell you a fan at a nothern idaho is just as passionate as all these other major schools.