It's Football Time In The South

Guest longhorns51

I have destroyed this argument so many times that it has grown boring, but you are walking into it, so learn.

Bottom line, who was the best football team in January? Nebraska went up 42-7 at the half on Baylor and pulled the dogs off...whatever. Michigan played Colorado at home and got after them good. No rivalry, just an early season home game. Colorado played Nebraska in Boulder on the last Friday of the season in the biggest rivalry game they had in front of a frenzied crowd....quite a difference. Michigan needed some rallies of their own to get by perennial juggernaut Iowa in a come-from-behind thriller. Iowa?

As for Michigan's schedule....THEY PLAYED IN THE BIG TEN!!! Think that's just hype? Try the Big 10 being 2 and 5 in Bowl games that year! Try Michigan rushing for all of 43 yards against mighty Ohio State (at Michigan mind you!) and winning by 6 points shortly before Florida State trashed them in the Sugar Bowl. Try Michigan rallying by a mediocre Washington State (Washington State?) team by 5 points in the Rose Bowl. WSU was led by NFL superstar and future Hall of Famer Ryan Leaf. Meanwhile, Nebraska broke open a close game at the half and blasted a loaded Tennessee team 42-17. They ran the ball for 340 yards in the 2nd half alone! Tennessee had Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Al Wilson, Peerless Price, and Al Wilson just to name a few. Michigan never saw an offensive attack like that of the ferocious Cornhuskers. They were there before Michigan, and they were there after. They left bodies on stretchers. The Vegas odds makers had it right when they immediately installed Nebraska as 7.5 favorites if they were to play Michigan. That's why the coaches voted as they did, and that's why the Sears trophy went to Lincoln for the 3rd time in 4 years.

You are clearly ignorant on the part of Michigan and their 1/2 championship in saying Nebraska was clearly better. That couldn't be further from the truth. They needed an illegal play to beat Missouri as the clock ran out, and common opponents, they beat Baylor by the about same score while Michigan beat Colorado by 35 instead of just 3 for Nebraska. Michigan played 5 ranked teams while Nebraska played 6, however Michigan played 4 teams ranked in the top 10 at the time they played them, and overall Michigan's schedule was much tougher since their schedule didn't include Akron or Iowa State, Baylor was the easiest team on Michigan's schedule but that is a wash since Nebraska played as well. And who really cares what Ohio States record against the SEC is (0-9, ok I admit seeing that) but Michigan is 20-5-1 against the SEC so your point proves your point. And Miami can hardly be considered in the south besides location of the city/school, that is more northern than Ohio State or Michigan (which are actually in the Midwest, not the North)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have destroyed this argument so many times that it has grown boring, but you are walking into it, so learn.

Bottom line, who was the best football team in January? Nebraska went up 42-7 at the half on Baylor and pulled the dogs off...whatever. Michigan played Colorado at home and got after them good. No rivalry, just an early season home game. Colorado played Nebraska in Boulder on the last Friday of the season in the biggest rivalry game they had in front of a frenzied crowd....quite a difference. Michigan needed some rallies of their own to get by perennial juggernaut Iowa in a come-from-behind thriller. Iowa?

As for Michigan's schedule....THEY PLAYED IN THE BIG TEN!!! Think that's just hype? Try the Big 10 being 2 and 5 in Bowl games that year! Try Michigan rushing for all of 43 yards against mighty Ohio State (at Michigan mind you!) and winning by 6 points shortly before Florida State trashed them in the Sugar Bowl. Try Michigan rallying by a mediocre Washington State (Washington State?) team by 5 points in the Rose Bowl. WSU was led by NFL superstar and future Hall of Famer Ryan Leaf. Meanwhile, Nebraska broke open a close game at the half and blasted a loaded Tennessee team 42-17. They ran the ball for 340 yards in the 2nd half alone! Tennessee had Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Al Wilson, Peerless Price, and Al Wilson just to name a few. Michigan never saw an offensive attack like that of the ferocious Cornhuskers. They were there before Michigan, and they were there after. They left bodies on stretchers. The Vegas odds makers had it right when they immediately installed Nebraska as 7.5 favorites if they were to play Michigan. That's why the coaches voted as they did, and that's why the Sears trophy went to Lincoln for the 3rd time in 4 years.

You are so hypocritical with all of your arguments it is just dumb. You talk about a rivalry game for Nebraska with Colorado (which that shouldn't even matter b/c it's Colorado) and then you dog on Michigan b/c they only had 43 yards rushing against Ohio State which is a much, much (add however many much's you need b/c it is the biggest rivalry in sports) bigger rivalry game than that. Then you go on to say it is no big deal playing WSU with Leaf because he was crap in the NFL, and you list Peerless Price for UT's "loaded" team who also didn't do crap in the NFL, why the double standard? Personally it doesn't matter to me what a player has done in the NFL, a great college player is a great college player, and they both were. Michigan may have squeaked a couple games, as did Nebraska, but at least they did win one of those squeakers on a play that shouldn't have counted.

As has been stated on television many times, the "play" was fortunate, but it was not illegal. As for your comments on rivalries, you are deeply mistaken......tragically, horribly, irretrievably broken wrong. Ohio State/Michigan is a rivalry game that matters to the 2 universities, particularly around Oct./Nov./Dec. While many rivalries that cross many sporting lines exist, nothing takes the place of Alabama/Auburn....fact. Do your own investigation and see what you come up with. No where in America in any sport do the contestants literally spend one year HATING one another. Video is available of irreconcilable differences in a divorce court because "she's from Auburn, I'm from Alabama." Just 2 years ago a Dad shot his son TWICE over the game. I'm not defending any of that, but it's a fact. No rivalry matches the hate those two have for one another and it goes on year 'round.

You are so hypocritical with all of your arguments it is just dumb. You talk about a rivalry game for Nebraska with Colorado (which that shouldn't even matter b/c it's Colorado) and then you dog on Michigan b/c they only had 43 yards rushing against Ohio State which is a much, much (add however many much's you need b/c it is the biggest rivalry in sports) bigger rivalry game than that. Then you go on to say it is no big deal playing WSU with Leaf because he was crap in the NFL, and you list Peerless Price for UT's "loaded" team who also didn't do crap in the NFL, why the double standard? Personally it doesn't matter to me what a player has done in the NFL, a great college player is a great college player, and they both were. Michigan may have squeaked a couple games, as did Nebraska, but at least they did win one of those squeakers on a play that shouldn't have counted.

As has been stated on television many times, the "play" was fortunate, but it was not illegal. As for your comments on rivalries, you are deeply mistaken......tragically, horribly, irretrievably broken wrong. Ohio State/Michigan is a rivalry game that matters to the 2 universities, particularly around Oct./Nov./Dec. While many rivalries that cross many sporting lines exist, nothing takes the place of Alabama/Auburn....fact. Do your own investigation and see what you come up with. No where in America in any sport do the contestants literally spend one year HATING one another. Video is available of irreconcilable differences in a divorce court because "she's from Auburn, I'm from Alabama." Just 2 years ago a Dad shot his son TWICE over the game. I'm not defending any of that, but it's a fact. No rivalry matches the hate those two have for one another and it goes on year 'round.

my gosh i can tell you a winona state - st marys rivalry game that is just as hateful as bama aurburn ohio state-Michigan

dad shot his son over a oklahoma - texas game last year ( well add in some jack and they said 3 casses of beer)

There is a difference between hating one another and a rival game .......that is a fact!

Your view of the Alabama/Auburn vs. Ohio St. /Michigan........that an opinion.

My friend, I think Michigan had a few NFL players that did and are still having some great success in the Pro game too. Lets see: Tai Streets.....Jeff Backus......Steve Hutchinson.....Jon Jansen.....Jerame Tuman.....Mark Campbell.....Charles Woodson......Brian Griese.....Aaron Shea.....Sam Sword..... Ian Gold??¦... Should I go on?

Oh, lets not forget about the #2 QB, that has done a few good thing in the NFL........Brady, Tom

My friend, I think Michigan had a few NFL players that did and are still having some great success in the Pro game too. Lets see: Tai Streets.....Jeff Backus......Steve Hutchinson.....Jon Jansen.....Jerame Tuman.....Mark Campbell.....Charles Woodson......Brian Griese.....Aaron Shea.....Sam Sword..... Ian Gold??¦... Should I go on?

Oh, lets not forget about the #2 QB, that has done a few good thing in the NFL........Brady, Tom

Even A-Train (Anthony Thomas) had a few great years in the NFL with Chicago and Buffalo before injuries curtailed his career.

Really? There's no hatred the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry?

.......I guess I can't blame you for being ignorant

No offense Bulldog, but you are leaving out the best ones: Marlin Jackson, Ty Law, Cato June, Jake Long, Dhani Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Larry Foote, Amani Toomer, Braylon Edwards, David Harris, Leon Hall, and the 1 year-renaissance man, Todd Collins.

No offense Bulldog, but you are leaving out the best ones: Marlin Jackson, Ty Law, Cato June, Jake Long, Dhani Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Larry Foote, Amani Toomer, Braylon Edwards, David Harris, Leon Hall, and the 1 year-renaissance man, Todd Collins.

I believe he was referring to those on the 97 Championship team.

Dhani Jones was on that team as well though

Even A-Train (Anthony Thomas) had a few great years in the NFL with Chicago and Buffalo before injuries curtailed his career.

Really? There's no hatred the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry?

.......I guess I can't blame you for being ignorant

A-train really was not a starter that year. Chris Howard and Clarence Williams got most of the carries.

But he did have some impact plays that year. That is true.