It's Football Time In The South

Guest longhorns51

Ok, I'll say this and if anyone still disagrees with me, then you obviously just want argue and don't want logic.

In 2002 there was a player very similar to the '97 Charles Woodson. Chris Gamble from Ohio State.

Gamble, like Woodson, started at Cornerback and returned punts. Gamble started 5 games at WR as well, and worked frequently in OSU's offensive sets. Gamble was a legitmate offensive player, unlike Woodson who was a speciality guy. Gamble and Woodson were both effective return men. Gamble had 4 picks and 1 TD. Woodson had 8. Woodson was probably a notch above Gamble as a defender, which would make up for the fact that Gamble was a consistant offensive player.

The difference? Woodson won the Heisman and Gamble didn't. Both teams were Nat'l Champs, so that aspect is a tie. Gamble was a big playmaker for OSU, and ESPN loved to talk about his versitility. He was properly recognized for his achievments in 2002. He was 1st team Big 10 All-American and 3rd team National All-American and was co-team MVP. Gamble was a first round pick in the draft, as well. My point is, Gamble was a premiere, versatile player back in 2002, but no one ever mentioned anything about the Heisman. That's the way it should have been for Woodson. Woodson deserved high praise, and All-American honors but should have never been seriously considered for the Heisman. Remember how good Gamble was? The guy would play almost every snap for OSU, which is amazing. That's more versatility than even Woodson could brag about.

Woodson's '97 season and Gamble's '02 season are remarkably similar. Woodson had an edge as a defender but Gamble had the edge as an offensive player. All things considered, their seasons nearly mirrored each other, right down to each team's success. What made Woodson a Heisman winner and Gamble simply an All-American? Unless you have a bias towards Michigan or something, I highly doubt you can argue with anything I said. If Gamble's season wasn't just like Woodson's, then I don't know what was. Woodson, as great as he was, should have ended up more like Gamble. High praises and plenty of accolades, but just not the Heisman trophy.

Comparing Woodson and Gamble is absolutely ridiculous, besides the fact that the played offense, defense, and special teams, there aren't many similarities because Woodson had a much more profound impact on his team and was THE difference maker in them winning a NC or being a mediocre team. Woodson was UM's Peyton Manning that year (he even pulled his best Manning impression on a 30 yard pass, that was stopped a half yard shy of him adding a passing TD to his stats that year), as in he was who carried the team. Here's his reel from his heisman season, it shows everything he did and why it had an such an impact:

Most fans down here argue until they are numb in the face about Peyton vs. Woodson, yet most of them when it comes down to it, didn't even actually watch a game that he played in his college career (outside of sportscenter highlights). This play right here singlehandedly would win the heisman for anyone, and comparing Gamble to Woodson is an insult to Charles.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Woodson and Gamble is absolutely ridiculous, besides the fact that the played offense, defense, and special teams, there aren't many similarities because Woodson had a much more profound impact on his team and was THE difference maker in them winning a NC or being a mediocre team. Woodson was UM's Peyton Manning that year (he even pulled his best Manning impression on a 30 yard pass, that was stopped a half yard shy of him adding a passing TD to his stats that year), as in he was who carried the team. Here's his reel from his heisman season, it shows everything he did and why it had an such an impact:

Most fans down here argue until they are numb in the face about Peyton vs. Woodson, yet most of them when it comes down to it, didn't even actually watch a game that he played in his college career (outside of sportscenter highlights). This play right here singlehandedly would win the heisman for anyone, and comparing Gamble to Woodson is an insult to Charles.

This is my favorite part right here: Besides the fact they both played offense, defense and special teams. Yeah, besides the fact they performed the exact same jobs. And how could Gamble not have a direct impact on his team if he played almost EVERY snap for OSU?

I told you guys, I'm not a Peyton Manning fan. I'm a fan of giving the Heisman to someone who isn't a joke. How can you call two Big 10 Cornerbacks who won National Championships (Woodson only got a share) that played offense and returned punts, a ridiculous comparison? They seem to line up pretty well. Woodson did impact his team. And so Gamble, given the fact he played almost every snap. And do you really think Woodson should have gotten the Heisman for that one play? Hey, then let's give the Heisman to the ECU player that blocked VTech's punt and returned it for a TD. That was a big play, so let's give the award to him. C'mon I said if you could find a way to disagree with Woodson/Gamble, then you're nothing but a Michigan homer. You're a joke, Woodson is a joke. Strike up the band! Rebelrebelman 1 - you/woodson 0.

This is my favorite part right here: Besides the fact they both played offense, defense and special teams. Yeah, besides the fact they performed the exact same jobs. And how could Gamble not have a direct impact on his team if he played almost EVERY snap for OSU?

I told you guys, I'm not a Peyton Manning fan. I'm a fan of giving the Heisman to someone who isn't a joke. How can you call two Big 10 Cornerbacks who won National Championships (Woodson only got a share) that played offense and returned punts, a ridiculous comparison? They seem to line up pretty well. Woodson did impact his team. And so Gamble, given the fact he played almost every snap. And do you really think Woodson should have gotten the Heisman for that one play? Hey, then let's give the Heisman to the ECU player that blocked VTech's punt and returned it for a TD. That was a big play, so let's give the award to him. C'mon I said if you could find a way to disagree with Woodson/Gamble, then you're nothing but a Michigan homer. You're a joke, Woodson is a joke. Strike up the band! Rebelrebelman 1 - you/woodson 0.

Uh, oh!! We're about to have inner circle fighting. Charles Woodson shut down half of the field like Deion Sanders. People were afraid to throw to his side. He was primarily used as a decoy on offense and teams would put two defenders on him opening up everybody else. They were afraid to kick to him when caused great field position for the offense and when they did kick to him, watch out! People can say what they want to about Peyton getting screwed but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is who has the trophy.

Charles Woodson - 1

Peyton Manning - 0

Uh, oh!! We're about to have inner circle fighting. Charles Woodson shut down half of the field like Deion Sanders. People were afraid to throw to his side. He was primarily used as a decoy on offense and teams would put two defenders on him opening up everybody else. They were afraid to kick to him when caused great field position for the offense and when they did kick to him, watch out! People can say what they want to about Peyton getting screwed but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is who has the trophy.

Charles Woodson - 1

Peyton Manning - 0

The only thing that really matters is one has a Super Bowl ring and is going to the Hall of Fame and the other isn't even the best CB on his team!

Peyton Manning-2

Charles Woodson-0

Charles Woodson - 1

Peyton Manning - 0

Woodson is not, nor has he ever been, on Deion Sanders level. "Primetime" is the best CB to ever play the game.

Unfortunately for Peyton, that is indeed the case. Unfortunately for Charles Woodson, Peyton Manning has the Super Bowl Ring and the likely future Hall of Fame induction.

Charles Woodson: Heisman trophy and team won a part of the 1997 national title

Peyton Manning: Super Bowl MVP, 2 time NFL MVP, Future NFL Hall of Famer

Let's just call this debate a wash shall we? Especially considering how far it has drifted away from the original topic.

The only thing that really matters is one has a Super Bowl ring and is going to the Hall of Fame and the other isn't even the best CB on his team!

Peyton Manning-2

Charles Woodson-0

The fact of the matter is that I don't get all torn up when you say anything about manning winning a superbowl. that's a team achievement, just ask scottie pippen. It's hilarious how mad little UT fans get about the Heisman. Fact is, Woodson was the better college player. Don't you just love the video of Woodson and the rose in his mouth after the Ohio St. game? Beautiful video!!!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The fact of the matter is that I don't get all torn up when you say anything about manning winning a superbowl. that's a team achievement, just ask scottie pippen. It's hilarious how mad little UT fans get about the Heisman. Fact is, Woodson was the better college player. Don't you just love the video of Woodson and the rose in his mouth after the Ohio St. game? Beautiful video!!!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The Hall of Fame will not be a team honor either and Woodson will never know. This is my point, I think I would rather be in the Hall of Fame than have a Heisman along with Eric Crouch,Ty Detmer,Gino Toretta, & Charles Woodson! Like I said before Woodson is the 2nd best DB on the Packers!

The Hall of Fame will not be a team honor either and Woodson will never know. This is my point, I think I would rather be in the Hall of Fame than have a Heisman along with Eric Crouch,Ty Detmer,Gino Toretta, & Charles Woodson! Like I said before Woodson is the 2nd best DB on the Packers!

You still can't read. I don't care about manning. it's all the little UT fans that get so upset about this. Fact is, woodson was the better college player. Good try, but you fail!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You still can't read. I don't care about manning. it's all the little UT fans that get so upset about this. Fact is, woodson was the better college player. Good try, but you fail!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You obviously can't read because I don't care about the Heisman look athe busts who have won it. Fact is, Woodson isn't even as good of a pro as Eli Manning much less Peyton Manning. Keep deflecting the truth about Woodson if it makes you feel better!

You obviously can't read because I don't care about the Heisman look athe busts who have won it. Fact is, Woodson isn't even as good of a pro as Eli Manning much less Peyton Manning. Keep deflecting the truth about Woodson if it makes you feel better!

You don't care about the Heisman now because little peyton didn't win it. It's ok. We still know who the better player was. (striking my heisman pose for you) /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You don't care about the Heisman now because little peyton didn't win it. It's ok. We still know who the better player was. (striking my heisman pose for you) /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I've never cared about the Hesiman because it is joke! I like to think of is and not was! Sorry your still living in the glory days. Maybe you will come to the new millenium eventually.

I've never cared about the Hesiman because it is joke! I like to think of is and not was! Sorry your still living in the glory days. Maybe you will come to the new millenium eventually.

You must care about it. You keep posting on this thread. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />