Powell vs. Maryville Freshman game

PowellPanther4life

My son is friends with some of those kids over there so you can imagine that the talk has already started. To my knowledge this group of Powell kids has never played this group from Maryville. I don't know if theres a good reason for that other then logistics and travel costs, but I think Monday night ought to be pretty interesting. I've been hearing that Maryville has got an absolute monster at running back and some really good kids overall. Anyone have any thoughts on this matchup?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is friends with some of those kids over there so you can imagine that the talk has already started. To my knowledge this group of Powell kids has never played this group from Maryville. I don't know if theres a good reason for that other then logistics and travel costs, but I think Monday night ought to be pretty interesting. I've been hearing that Maryville has got an absolute monster at running back and some really good kids overall. Anyone have any thoughts on this matchup?

We played Maryville this past Monday night. They have a very good freshman team. The tailback you mentioned is Jacob West, he is 5'11" and goes about 185 lb. He runs the ball very hard and has grood speed. They are not one demmentional, they can also throw the ball very well. The QB is Patton Robbinett, 6'2" 175 lb. Throws very well and can also run if he needs to. They have a oversized line for a freshman team and of course they are coached very well.

Good luck.....

Pepvol,

Zach Sharp started every game as a freshman.

Sorry about that /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , I was just thinking position players . We are very lucky to have Zach , and just think , we have 2 more years after this year to watch him boom them into the endzone . He will more than likely set all new kicking records before he leaves Maryville .

well that was certainly one heck of a ballgame. Both teams played incredibly well. Powell ends up winning 36-20. Really a great win for the Powell program. I believe that 21 was the jacob west kid. He got the first carry of the game, threw an impressive stiff arm and picked up a first down for MHS, and then he never came back into the game. Hope he's ok. Darian Logan had a nice game for the Panthers and it was certainly good to have John Staggs back at FS this week. Landon Wright's TD on the screen pass on 4th and 16 was also a really nice play. What are the reactions of anyone else that was there?

well that was certainly one heck of a ballgame. Both teams played incredibly well. Powell ends up winning 36-20. Really a great win for the Powell program. I believe that 21 was the jacob west kid. He got the first carry of the game, threw an impressive stiff arm and picked up a first down for MHS, and then he never came back into the game. Hope he's ok. Darian Logan had a nice game for the Panthers and it was certainly good to have John Staggs back at FS this week. Landon Wright's TD on the screen pass on 4th and 16 was also a really nice play. What are the reactions of anyone else that was there?

I just caught the end of the Freshman game, but Powell looked pretty good. Congratulations on a win over a much heralded Maryville Freshman class. Hope is not dead in Powell. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don't think that this Maryville Freshman class has been overated. However, sometimes it takes a little adversity to reach your full potential. The Maryville coaching staff will use this to build on.

PowellPanther4life....Eye thank a player iz limited in tha amount of quarters he can particpate in during a week and this may have been tha case with West.....He played a lot in the varsity game and even scorred a TD Friday nite.....Plus anuther frashman lineman played haif tha time Friday nite two....Pal must haiv a good frashman teem...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Powell's kids were much more physcial than Maryville's. Maryville's kids played as if they were deer in headlights, and the Powell Panthers smacked them in the mouth. This might be the best thing that can happen to a group (Maryville) that has not been tested yet. We will see how they respond to a little adversity. Congrats to Powell's kids for taking the fight to the Rebels, which is something you do not see very often. Good luck to both teams throughout the rest of the season.

PowellPanther4life....Eye thank a player iz limited in tha amount of quarters he can particpate in during a week and this may have been tha case with West.....He played a lot in the varsity game and even scorred a TD Friday nite.....Plus anuther frashman lineman played haif tha time Friday nite two....Pal must haiv a good frashman teem...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don't think that was the case last night, SnB. West only played the first series or two for Maryville in the freshman game and he didn't play at all in the JV game. I believe he got his bell rung in the final series he played and was held out for precautionary reasons the rest of the night. He certainly is a talented freshman, which is obvious in the fact that he is even seeing vasity snaps. Even most of the great Red Rebel players during this incredible run haven't seen the field on Friday nights much, if at all.

The quarters rule in football is pretty much null and void now. That rule is primarily enforced in basketball and intended for number of quarters played in one night, not in a week. I did a quick scan of the TSSAA bylaws and football guidelines and didn't see anything about playing limits during a week.

It is a very good freshman group at Powell this year. There is a lot of talent there, as well as in the current group of 8th graders. If Panther fans will be patient the program will return to the level of competitiveness that they are accustomed to.