Jo Byrns vs. Forrest

FridayMainEvent

Winner?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

Jo Byrns does tend to play to the talent level of the opponent. We did lose some dang good football players. The talent we've had at Jo Byrns over the last 4 or 5 years is almost unheard of in a small 1A school. We have a great deal of talent this year also. We are solid at all the skilled positions. The biggest difference is, as you stated, the loss of Shane Spann at QB. I'm not taking anything away from Scott Adkins. He has come a long have and is doing a good job for Jo Byrns this year. Shane had the talent of a 5a qb playing at a 1a school so naturally you are gonna miss that. Friday night will let us know where we are as a football team.

Us, too, but we have a few skilled players hurt, that will either play hurt or won't play. I know others will step up and fill the gaps. Inglewood was right about having to be from Chapel Hill to understand. After the "whoopin'" you guys put on us in'06, it's purely a mental thing.(And I still swear I heard the "Deliverence" music on our drive up there. You may think the same about our place!!) Still looking forward to tomorrow night!! Go Rockets! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, we have a great concession stand, burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos, etc. The food is very good. There is also a good Mexican Place we like across from the school; The Country Diner with all you can eat catfish on Friday nights also across from the school, and a Sonic and Dominos pizza south of town. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Couldnt have said it better myself. The main obstacle the Rockets have to overcome is the name Jo Byrns, and all of their studs are gone from last year. Sure they are 4-0, but they have beaten a 1-3 East Robertson team, an 0-4 Clarksville Academy squad, 1-3 Unionville, and last week beat an "ok" MTCS team with a 3-1 record. So their opponents have a combined 5-11 record. They are ranked as high as they are, like many others in the rankings because of reputation. They can be easy beaten with a little confidence.

Bottom line is, neither of these teams have has a legitimate test this season. I think Nan hit the nail on the head with the MC- JB analogy. Any team is beatable on any night as long as you believe it is possible.

inglewood you're making a mistake if you think the main obstacle is the name Jo Byrns. Did we lose a lot of players from last year? Yes, and so did Forrest, cascade, WHH, etc. Our first 4 opponents this year are the same as last year so let's compare:

E.R...41-7

C.A....36-0

Community...44-0

MTCS...49-13

E.R...37-6

C.A....28-0

Community...33-8

MTCS...16-8

Now are the '08 scores as good as the '07? No but they're not far off. The MTCS game is totally different but so is MTCS and Forrest will see that soon. You're post makes it sound like JB is garbage..."all of their studs are gone", "they're ranked because of their reputation", and "they can easily be beaten with a little confidence". So basically what your saying is that there is no reason why Forrest should lose this game? I know this is not the case but if the players thought like this, JB would blow the doors off of the Rockets. Maybe the problem is not the name but rather everybody telling them it's just a name. Like they say, if I stand in my garage that doesn't make me a car...if you dress WHH up in JB uniforms and call them Devils, that doesn't make them a good football team. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

inglewood you're making a mistake if you think the main obstacle is the name Jo Byrns. Did we lose a lot of players from last year? Yes, and so did Forrest, cascade, WHH, etc. Our first 4 opponents this year are the same as last year so let's compare:

E.R...41-7

C.A....36-0

Community...44-0

MTCS...49-13

E.R...37-6

C.A....28-0

Community...33-8

MTCS...16-8

Now are the '08 scores as good as the '07? No but they're not far off. The MTCS game is totally different but so is MTCS and Forrest will see that soon. You're post makes it sound like JB is garbage..."all of their studs are gone", "they're ranked because of their reputation", and "they can easily be beaten with a little confidence". So basically what your saying is that there is no reason why Forrest should lose this game? I know this is not the case but if the players thought like this, JB would blow the doors off of the Rockets. Maybe the problem is not the name but rather everybody telling them it's just a name. Like they say, if I stand in my garage that doesn't make me a car...if you dress WHH up in JB uniforms and call them Devils, that doesn't make them a good football team. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok, so....you had beaten the brakes off four terrible opponents to start out the 2007 year. Now you have beaten three terrible opponents and an improved MTCS squad who all combine for a 5-11 record thus far and 3 wins came from MTC, whom you only beat by a touchdown.

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I made JB seem like garbage. I do believe you might be super-sensitive though. "all their studs are gone" - they are. I pretty sure last years team would have put up more than 16 on this years MTC squad. "they're ranked because of their reputation". They are, period. Who have they beat this year that makes them worthy of their ranking? No one, its because of their reputation and tradition. Why is that calling your team garbage? "They can be easily beaten with a little confidence". They can. Ask MTCS. What, they have had a football team now for 4 years, 5 tops? And you beat them by a touchdown? What makes you think the Rockets are any different? I would say they have already played 3 of the better teams in the region and came away victorious.

So yes, basically what I am saying there is no reason for Forrest to lose the game. Just like I would hope you would say the same thing about and to your team. If not, then I would be saying "roll over to Jo Byrns because they are ranked number whatever, and also because they are traditionally a great team."

So now ask yourself how knowledgeable you are about the sport itself. Do you honestly think tradition has no affect on a high school players mind? Why hadn't Riverdale lost a region contest in around 10 years before this year? Why hadn't a Williamson County school beat Brentwood Academy in since the 90's before this year? They were just that much better than just Williamson County opponents? Should I give college examples as well? With all that being said, WHY IN THE WORLD would I not say that if the guys come prepared, forget about the name then we can beat any single A team in the state? Why?

Ok, so....you had beaten the brakes off four terrible opponents to start out the 2007 year. Now you have beaten three terrible opponents and an improved MTCS squad who all combine for a 5-11 record thus far and 3 wins came from MTC, whom you only beat by a touchdown.

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I made JB seem like garbage. I do believe you might be super-sensitive though. "all their studs are gone" - they are. I pretty sure last years team would have put up more than 16 on this years MTC squad. "they're ranked because of their reputation". They are, period. Who have they beat this year that makes them worthy of their ranking? No one, its because of their reputation and tradition. Why is that calling your team garbage? "They can be easily beaten with a little confidence". They can. Ask MTCS. What, they have had a football team now for 4 years, 5 tops? And you beat them by a touchdown? What makes you think the Rockets are any different? I would say they have already played 3 of the better teams in the region and came away victorious.

So yes, basically what I am saying there is no reason for Forrest to lose the game. Just like I would hope you would say the same thing about and to your team. If not, then I would be saying "roll over to Jo Byrns because they are ranked number whatever, and also because they are traditionally a great team."

So now ask yourself how knowledgeable you are about the sport itself. Do you honestly think tradition has no affect on a high school players mind? Why hadn't Riverdale lost a region contest in around 10 years before this year? Why hadn't a Williamson County school beat Brentwood Academy in since the 90's before this year? They were just that much better than just Williamson County opponents? Should I give college examples as well? With all that being said, WHY IN THE WORLD would I not say that if the guys come prepared, forget about the name then we can beat any single A team in the state? Why?

Darn, Nan, can we hire this guy to speak in our locker room during the pre-game?? He almost has me ready to change my vote in this game... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

E.R...41-7

C.A....36-0

Community...44-0

MTCS...49-13

E.R...37-6

C.A....28-0

Community...33-8

MTCS...16-8

Football is a game of inches and seconds. Each one matters. Every time.

If you don't believe that the name of your opponent has an effect on the attitude of the game, then you haven't paid alot of attention in the past. If you believe that you can not possibly do something, then you can't. If you believe that you can, then it becomes possible - not a given, but a possibility. I believe that any given team can win on any given night. That's why we play the games. Reputation comes into play to develop the mind set of the teams. If you believe that you are beat, then you are. If a certain team has the reputation for being unbeatable, then that can become self fulfilling. After a few years, the other teams believe it too.

You should not take offense that the name of Jo Byrns carries that weight. It is a compliment to your school and its football program. You should also not take offense when other schools try to knock Jo Byrns off the top of the heap. That is the price you pay for having a winning program.

I look forward to Forrest having your problem.

Darn, Nan, can we hire this guy to speak in our locker room during the pre-game?? He almost has me ready to change my vote in this game... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

TOLD you I liked him! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Football is a game of inches and seconds. Each one matters. Every time.

If you don't believe that the name of your opponent has an effect on the attitude of the game, then you haven't paid alot of attention in the past. If you believe that you can not possibly do something, then you can't. If you believe that you can, then it becomes possible - not a given, but a possibility. I believe that any given team can win on any given night. That's why we play the games. Reputation comes into play to develop the mind set of the teams. If you believe that you are beat, then you are. If a certain team has the reputation for being unbeatable, then that can become self fulfilling. After a few years, the other teams believe it too.

You should not take offense that the name of Jo Byrns carries that weight. It is a compliment to your school and its football program. You should also not take offense when other schools try to knock Jo Byrns off the top of the heap. That is the price you pay for having a winning program.

I look forward to Forrest having your problem.

Me, too!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm not being super-sensitive, just defending my team. Basically what I'm saying is that your original argument about JB was lame and if you think that your original post doesn't make JB look like garbage then put yourself in a JB players shoes and read what you said. Based on your post your telling the JB player:

1. You have no studs on your team

2. You shouldn't be a ranked team, you don't deserve it

3. You can easily be beaten.

That's how I see it, you're calling this JB team gargle. It takes more than just confidence and you know that, you even said it yourself. Also, I would never tell my team that there is no reason for them to lose a game. There are a million reason why they could lose a game. Lastly, your last sentence "WHY IN THE WORLD...". You are absolutely correct, the problem is that you never said that. You said forget about the name, play with confidence and you'll win the game. It sounds to me like your telling the team...hey you should have a lot of confidence that you can win this game because JB is garbage. That's not the type of confidence you should have.

I've been watching & reading all week And to put a little closure on the game in my behalf it will be a measuring stick for both teams and Im sure both teams will be well prepared for the game. But dont think for a moment that all the tallent is gone from JB, I assure you that the devils still have some boys that can tote the mail and make some plays after the catch, jus dont fool youself into believing all the studs are gone cause you will be sorely surprised, but Im looking for a real good game. Good luck to all. GO RED DEVILS !!!!!

I'm not being super-sensitive, just defending my team. Basically what I'm saying is that your original argument about JB was lame and if you think that your original post doesn't make JB look like garbage then put yourself in a JB players shoes and read what you said. Based on your post your telling the JB player:

That's how I see it, you're calling this JB team gargle. It takes more than just confidence and you know that, you even said it yourself. Also, I would never tell my team that there is no reason for them to lose a game. There are a million reason why they could lose a game. Lastly, your last sentence "WHY IN THE WORLD...". You are absolutely correct, the problem is that you never said that. You said forget about the name, play with confidence and you'll win the game. It sounds to me like your telling the team...hey you should have a lot of confidence that you can win this game because JB is garbage. That's not the type of confidence you should have.

I've been watching & reading all week And to put a little closure on the game in my behalf it will be a measuring stick for both teams and Im sure both teams will be well prepared for the game. But dont think for a moment that all the tallent is gone from JB, I assure you that the devils still have some boys that can tote the mail and make some plays after the catch, jus dont fool youself into believing all the studs are gone cause you will be sorely surprised, but Im looking for a real good game. Good luck to all. GO RED DEVILS !!!!!

I've known inglewood for a LONG time, and I promise you he has nothing but respect for Jo Byrns. He is not a basher. Sorry you misunderstood his intentions.

Easy big fella, you sound like a school girl who just got...........Well nevermind. I don't think anyone was trying to insult your boys, he was just trying to pump his team up. It'll all play out tomorrow night and then the victor can talk all the smack they want. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />