Union City @ Obion County Central...Who Wins?

uctfan

Don't get me wrong jumpingjack,I'm glad he decided to play his senior season and he is a talent, but he was a non-factor last night and if he continues to not secure the ball he will HURT the Tornadoes in the long run(i.e the playoffs)...His ball security is just a matter of not being disciplined enough...In this offense you have to secure the football...It's fixable though..He also didn't make the pitch on some of the option plays and one that he did was a bad decision that almost cost the Tornadoes possession deep in Rebel territory...This also is fixable...He just has to continue to improve every week and continue to be coachable...He has in my opinion since Week 1,all but ball security...

Anyone know why Price didn't play last night??

I guess the fact that no one elses shortcomings were mentioned is why I responded. A 51 yard TD pass and a 5 yard TD run was not that shabby. Where would we be now without Speed. People flip-flop more than a chef at the waffle house making pancakes. Anyway BRUCETON next and you are great at getting it started. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the fact that no one elses shortcomings were mentioned is why I responded. A 51 yard TD pass and a 5 yard TD run was not that shabby. Where would we be now without Speed. People flip-flop more than a chef at the waffle house making pancakes. Anyway BRUCETON next and you are great at getting it started. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No flip-flopping here..Go look at previous posts(Even agreed with a poster on another thread about Speed being mentioned as a possibilty for a Mr Football Back award winner...Still think he has a shot)...He has had poor ball security all season though and it continues...You are right on the money about where the Tornadoes would be without him...Never questioned that...Like I've said before he is a very good talent...Think about this...How many plays did the Tornadoes run on offense??...How many times does he touch the ball on offense??..In this offense his decisions are paramount to how the unit runs or doesn't run...It's his baby and he will get the praise or the fault....Running the football last night??..He was largely ineffective..I should have made that clear...The pass was a very good one and came at a great time in the game...If he corrects his ball security he will be one of the better QB's UC has ever had....I'm all about Colton Speed jumpingjack...JUST HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL!!....

As for Bruceton...UC needs to watch the last two games they have played with the Tigers...They should be sky-high for this one..Bruceton rubbed their noses in it last season at home..Time to return the favor!!...I bet Speed has a HUGE game against Bruceton....

No flip-flopping here..Go look at previous posts(Even agreed with a poster on another thread about Speed being mentioned as a possibilty for a Mr Football Back award winner...Still think he has a shot)...He has had poor ball security all season though and it continues...You are right on the money about where the Tornadoes would be without him...Never questioned that...Like I've said before he is a very good talent...Think about this...How many plays did the Tornadoes run on offense??...How many times does he touch the ball on offense??..In this offense his decisions are paramount to how the unit runs or doesn't run...It's his baby and he will get the praise or the fault....Running the football last night??..He was largely ineffective..I should have made that clear...The pass was a very good one and came at a great time in the game...If he corrects his ball security he will be one of the better QB's UC has ever had....I'm all about Colton Speed jumpingjack...JUST HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL!!....

As for Bruceton...UC needs to watch the last two games they have played with the Tigers...They should be sky-high for this one..Bruceton rubbed their noses in it last season at home..Time to return the favor!!...I bet Speed has a HUGE game against Bruceton....

Thanks for clerifying, UC is becoming a close and unselfesh team which leads to sucsess. We do not need to take any other team in this region for granted and that is good because it will make everyone better. But like you said a vendeta is a great incentive. At the end of the season he is suppose to autograph anyones "butterfinger" candy bar who will bring it to the field house. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How many of you folks were at the game and noticed the big fella #54 pushing Speed around early in the game.....well, he was ejected late in the game and had another personal foul called and he now is out for the Rebels next game.

I was told today by a VERY good source, some of the players from Obion were playing to hurt someone and one of them got caught....again #54.

In the rule....the quarter backs are protected weather you pass or hand off. I was also told by a longtime official, that if this was happening, the kid or kids should have been ejected early.

Also, after about two or three of those push downs by #54, Speed turned his back and the kid quit know he would be call for a clip......this was called from U C sidelines.

What Union City did, was go in at halftime, make adjustments and came out and said....OK Obion Stop me if you can and they couldn't!!

Union City 19

Obion 6

You know as well as me that the offense isn't designed for the QB to hand off every time...As it wasn't for Speed to run 35 times against Westview...I agree he wasn't making the right reads on all the plays but then again OC wasn't stopping the run right up the middle either...

Well that's wrong.. if you knew the veer offense that well you would know that NOBODY plays their tackles in a 5 technique against it... thats what Mckenzie and Obion County did against Union City.. to eliminate Speed and make someone else win the game. I talked to Speed tonight and he was told everytime a tackle was in a 5.. there wasn't a read.. just make sure the fullback had room to cut back after handing him the ball. That's why midline was ran nearly 40 times. OC didn't get in his head at all.. he is a very tough kid.. and wouldnt back down to any of OC's players.. he was just doing what he was TOLD to do....

Well that's wrong.. if you knew the veer offense that well you would know that NOBODY plays their tackles in a 5 technique against it... thats what Mckenzie and Obion County did against Union City.. to eliminate Speed and make someone else win the game. I talked to Speed tonight and he was told everytime a tackle was in a 5.. there wasn't a read.. just make sure the fullback had room to cut back after handing him the ball. That's why midline was ran nearly 40 times. OC didn't get in his head at all.. he is a very tough kid.. and wouldnt back down to any of OC's players.. he was just doing what he was TOLD to do....

Yes,you are correct about the tackles being in a "five" technique....That is a somewhat automatic read..It is definately the read if your told to make that particular call...Which of course noone would know unless you talk to a coach or player after the game...Or were a coach yourself...I'm sure UC will see alot of that from now on...I've seen one team do that and absolutely take Bowling's offense out of anything they wanted to do....But that team had an extremely talented nose-guard,who just blew up any play up the middle...Knowing now about what Speed was being told,I'll retract me saying he was making the wrong read on the mid-line plays...

You say OC wasn't in his head..I say he was...That doesn't mean Speed isn't tough though...When he did run he didn't run with that much authority and danced around..He even did it on the kick-off he fielded..He hadn't been doing that...I also never said he "backed down"..He didn't seem to be himself...

ucdiditagain....I'm not sure what that rule is...It doesn't seem to me that it's any difference hitting him like they did as hitting him late after a pass...But they were run plays so I'm sure that makes the difference..To me it's kind of a cheap shot like going after a kicker on kick-offs or cold-c o c k i n g a QB after he throws an interception and he turns into a defensive player...It had to be legal though because the head ref was standing right there and watching it and the UC coaches were not talking to the refs about it...

jumpingjack...That was funny...If he gets the Tornadoes to a state championship game and doesn't improve his ball security then I'll be sure to get one of those Butterfinger wrappers to him to get signed....I got a strong feeling he will improve though....

Yes,you are correct about the tackles being in a "five" technique....That is a somewhat automatic read..It is definately the read if your told to make that particular call...Which of course noone would know unless you talk to a coach or player after the game...Or were a coach yourself...I'm sure UC will see alot of that from now on...I've seen one team do that and absolutely take Bowling's offense out of anything they wanted to do....But that team had an extremely talented nose-guard,who just blew up any play up the middle...Knowing now about what Speed was being told,I'll retract me saying he was making the wrong read on the mid-line plays...

You say OC wasn't in his head..I say he was...That doesn't mean Speed isn't tough though...When he did run he didn't run with that much authority and danced around..He even did it on the kick-off he fielded..He hadn't been doing that...I also never said he "backed down"..He didn't seem to be himself...

ucdiditagain....I'm not sure what that rule is...It doesn't seem to me that it's any difference hitting him like they did as hitting him late after a pass...But they were run plays so I'm sure that makes the difference..To me it's kind of a cheap shot like going after a kicker on kick-offs or cold-c o c k i n g a QB after he throws an interception and he turns into a defensive player...It had to be legal though because the head ref was standing right there and watching it and the UC coaches were not talking to the refs about it...

jumpingjack...That was funny...If he gets the Tornadoes to a state championship game and doesn't improve his ball security then I'll be sure to get one of those Butterfinger wrappers to him to get signed....I got a strong feeling he will improve though....

Cannot help but think of the Spinners song "Smiling Faces". Anyway a W and on to Bruceton.

How many of you folks were at the game and noticed the big fella #54 pushing Speed around early in the game.....well, he was ejected late in the game and had another personal foul called and he now is out for the Rebels next game.

I was told today by a VERY good source, some of the players from Obion were playing to hurt someone and one of them got caught....again #54.

In the rule....the quarter backs are protected weather you pass or hand off. I was also told by a longtime official, that if this was happening, the kid or kids should have been ejected early.

Also, after about two or three of those push downs by #54, Speed turned his back and the kid quit know he would be call for a clip......this was called from U C sidelines.

What Union City did, was go in at halftime, make adjustments and came out and said....OK Obion Stop me if you can and they couldn't!!

Union City 19

Obion 6

Because one player gets ejected you can't brand a whole team as dirty. I was at the game and in no way seen anybody trying to hurt anybody else. I'm sure there was alot of talk going on but I promise it was coming from both sides. As far as the push downs on Speed, it was right in front of the refs and the UC bench and if it was illegal it would've been called. Though the officiating was bad, it was equally bad on both sides. You need to quit being such a homer. I can give credit to UC for having a good game plan and making the adjustments they needed to win. You on the other hand cannot give credit to the Rebs for playing a good defensive game. All you can say is we have a terrible offense, and Coach Jackson is costing us the season by closing practices and not having scrimmages and ridiculous stuff like that. It is his team and I applaud him for doing what he thinks is best for the team whether or not anyone agrees with it or not. That's what OC needs. Somebody that says it's my way or the highway. The Rebs will get things goin sooner rather than later. Maybe not this year but it will come. It took more than a game to get in this hole and it'll take more than one to get out. I'll be there rootin' em' on regardless.

Because one player gets ejected you can't brand a whole team as dirty. I was at the game and in no way seen anybody trying to hurt anybody else. I'm sure there was alot of talk going on but I promise it was coming from both sides. As far as the push downs on Speed, it was right in front of the refs and the UC bench and if it was illegal it would've been called. Though the officiating was bad, it was equally bad on both sides. You need to quit being such a homer. I can give credit to UC for having a good game plan and making the adjustments they needed to win. You on the other hand cannot give credit to the Rebs for playing a good defensive game. All you can say is we have a terrible offense, and Coach Jackson is costing us the season by closing practices and not having scrimmages and ridiculous stuff like that. It is his team and I applaud him for doing what he thinks is best for the team whether or not anyone agrees with it or not. That's what OC needs. Somebody that says it's my way or the highway. The Rebs will get things goin sooner rather than later. Maybe not this year but it will come. It took more than a game to get in this hole and it'll take more than one to get out. I'll be there rootin' em' on regardless.

I played in this series..I know there is alot of smack-talk that goes on...I remember hearing talk of someone going out to hurt Savion Hayslett for OC two years ago at Union City but Savion shut that up when he decleated and planted the kid that had been running his mouth all week... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Coach Bowling has the policy at Union City and the same was at Obion when he was there....It has worked at both places and seems this coach at Obion from a outsiders stand point wants to close out everyone but the team.

What I am saying is that this new coach at Obion comes in and makes everything sound like he has so much to show but doesn't back up his talk once on the field.

Obions kids has shown some improvement over last year, but there is some reason that a school this size can't come out each year and win at least 3 to 6 games....there in NO excuse.

All other schools across the state wins at least a few.

I know the kids are there....I just think it is what and how the program is run.

For a team to have 80 kids out at the start of the year, it bothers me WHY the Rebels can't win.

If you were to have beaten Union City, this shouldn't have and wouldn't have been a building block for anyone playing someone smaller than their school unless your playing a Trousdale County which went from 1 A to 3 A and back to 1 A and won on both levels.

I just can't understand, I really can't. I know if I was a kid playing and doing everything the coaches were saying and we weren't winning, I would have to somewhat second guess something or someone.

The coach at Obion has to understand he is not in a college program as well.

Just the other night against Union City at halftime, I listen to him being interviewed by a radio station....he indicated to the radio when ask the question about his quarter back not hitting his targets....he said " No, it is not the pressure that Union City was putting on our Q B, we are not getting the job done" .

I have listened to him in other games and on the "Count Down To Kick Off Show" and He IS THE ONE ( The Coach ) who never gives credit to the other team For having a good game plan or something to that nature.

Can he NOT figure out that he is getting out coached every game and out played...give the other guy credit sometimes.

Just as the Union City game...Union City went in at Halftime with a 7 to 6 lead and coach Bowling made adjustments to what the Rebels were doing and ran the ball down their throats in the 3rd Quarter and you couldn't or the coach couldn't stop them.

That is all I am saying.....

I have seen OC play more than you have this season. Coach Jackson has a great offensive mind. The problem within the OC program right now is confidence or a lack thereof. Coach Jackson has said in The Messenger that right now when one thing goes wrong this "here we go again" mentality sets in and I've seen it alot myself over the years. It took a whole season for things to get as bad as they have and it is not gonna fix itself overnight. As far as what he said at halftime, he wasn't off on that comment. UC's pass rush was effective, but there was several times Jackson had all the time to throw and was overthrowing his receivers. Those years he didn't play are catching up to him.