Ensworth-MBA Battle of the Unbeatens

The presence of David Whitfield at EHS is no coincidence either.

Whoa.

They really did a great job at MBA with you guys.

(For those of you who don't know it already, David Whitfield is the University of Chicago educated teacher at EHS who is one of the finest English and writing teachers I have ever seen. He's also African American. )

Maybe he left MBA, as did a number of other fine teachers and coaches, because of the warm, non-elitist, color blind atmosphere that clearly exists there.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it a little funny for you to be asking that question. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I understand why you might think that, but I was really just curious. As has been previously pointed out, for any private school to criticize another as to how they get their students would be like the pot calling the kettle black. You will also notice that nowhere in any of my posts have I said anything disparaging about EHS, its players or coaches, or how it gets its students.

On another note, I was at the Vandy game yesterday, and I saw Fitz Lassing with a football visitor badge on. Vandy should be all over Fitz, Tavarres, Orleans, J.Sloan, Wesley Johnson, and a few others from each team on Friday. There is no reason to let talent like that in your backyard get out of the area.

First of all, hats off to both teams for a great game. Congratulations to Ensworth on the win.

To me, this game was the story of two players: Darkwa and Jefferson. This is not to discredit the other players as they played very well too, but, you take those two away from Ensworth and MBA wins this game handily. Granted EHS' Offensive line played very well and both teams had injury issues, but the EHS backfield was unstoppable. I can't remember ever seeing a duo like that at this level.

Let me say this: I respect Ensworth School very much. Many of my friends and family members are Ensworth alumni and supporters. It is a great school with high standards. They are clearly doing some great things there. I would love to have my children attend Ensworth someday.

Having said that, those of you who think that Coach Bowers did not go out and get some athletes are being naive. I think if people are truly honest with themselves, they see will see that. From the minute he got to Ensworth, he realized that he had an opportunity to build a program his way with freedom that he would never have at MBA. I played for Ricky Bowers. In my opinion, he is the best coach in the state. I am also very in tune with what goes on in the MBA and Ensworth communities. At Ensworth, he has much greater influence over admissions than he ever did at MBA. The presence of David Whitfield at EHS is no coincidence either.

Again, let me congratulate Ensworth. Those kids played are well coached and play extremely hard. I would expect nothing less from a Bowers coached team.

P.S. - Who was the kid on the Ensworth sideline in street clothes and a #74 jersey? He was huge!

you are right on the money....

we can complain and whine about it all we want, but this is where we are. When you add the best coach in the state with virtually endless money and a blank check for influence at the school and the rest of us are going to be looking at a monster for a long time.

I understand why you might think that, but I was really just curious. As has been previously pointed out, for any private school to criticize another as to how they get their students would be like the pot calling the kettle black. You will also notice that nowhere in any of my posts have I said anything disparaging about EHS, its players or coaches, or how it gets its students.

On another note, I was at the Vandy game yesterday, and I saw Fitz Lassing with a football visitor badge on. Vandy should be all over Fitz, Tavarres, Orleans, J.Sloan, Wesley Johnson, and a few others from each team on Friday. There is no reason to let talent like that in your backyard get out of the area.

Oh...I didn't say you did. You obviously do realize the irony. If a public school person asked that question...all heck would break loose. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I just got a little chuckle out of it.

Both teams are awesome. MBA has virtually been THE dominant team in DII since the split. I think Ensworth is about to take over that role. It may not be this year...but it will be very soon. While both are great schools...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what everyone else has to contend with. Look at that school. It's only going to get better also.

If you look at their schedule, Ensworth's whole season was focused on winning this game. They had one fairly tough opponent (McCallie) to whom they almost lost and they play the Little Sisters of the Blind the rest of the way.

As far as recruiting goes. Where did Ensworth's points come from Friday? Not from the Middle School program. It came from kids that arrived in 9th or 10th grade with a financial aid package and a load of athletic ability. I don't think you will see them playing at Harvard or Yale.

It may not be illegal, but it is definitely recruiting. Bowers learned his craft from Carlton Flatt at BA and he is just taking it to the next level. Unfortunately, this will change the entire landscape of Tennessee football. Kids who work hard at Ensworth from the time they are 5th graders just to have chance to get on the field will find themselves replaced by athletes who are at school for one reason and one reason only.

Wow you sound like a narcissus /elitists jerk! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

By the way whom are all these MBA greats playing for Princeton and Harvard?

Seams like your best kid from last year is playing at UT!

The landscape of TN football changed long time ago in the 90's with the split.

The 9th and 10th grade kids coming in affect every program in TN. Since the Ensworth High School football program is new, your throwing cheap shots. When Ravenwood won the 5A state the same thing could have been said about them except the financial aid package part. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" From what I saw on the highlights it looked like the two young men you referred to are black. Is the head of racism popping up also with your narcissus/elitists attitude?

Most DII, Private School or open zone program has approached everyone in the state who has a child that was/is a great athlete. It comes in the way of parents from that program talking to the young person or their parents and other examples.

Sound like your mad because your team was out recruited.

Well, MBA has played tough competition week in and week out. They had the pressure of 19 wins in a row and they were beat up in the line. I don't think it is unreasonable for a bunch of 16-18 year old kids to have an emotional letdown at some point in what is a grueling season with everyone giving you their best shot.

If you look at their schedule, Ensworth's whole season was focused on winning this game. They had one fairly tough opponent (McCallie) to whom they almost lost and they play the Little Sisters of the Blind the rest of the way.

It would be interesting to see what their record would be (and how they would have played Friday), if they had to get up for every game that they played. Hopefully, this win will cause Coach Bowers to upgrade his schedule next season. It will be upgraded in a hurry during the playoffs.

As far as recruiting goes. Where did Ensworth's points come from Friday? Not from the Middle School program. It came from kids that arrived in 9th or 10th grade with a financial aid package and a load of athletic ability. I don't think you will see them playing at Harvard or Yale.

It may not be illegal, but it is definitely recruiting. Bowers learned his craft from Carlton Flatt at BA and he is just taking it to the next level. Unfortunately, this will change the entire landscape of Tennessee football. Kids who work hard at Ensworth from the time they are 5th graders just to have chance to get on the field will find themselves replaced by athletes who are at school for one reason and one reason only.

While Ricky Bowers did coach with Carlton Flatt @ Brentwood Academy I would say that he learned his craft while playing basketball for David Lipscomb University and Coach Don Myer.

Whoa.

They really did a great job at MBA with you guys.

(For those of you who don't know it already, David Whitfield is the University of Chicago educated teacher at EHS who is one of the finest English and writing teachers I have ever seen. He's also African American. )

Maybe he left MBA, as did a number of other fine teachers and coaches, because of the warm, non-elitist, color blind atmosphere that clearly exists there.

David Whitfield is a fine man and I love him to death! But he is not a English teacher TransplantMom!! He is a History teacher and for the reason he left MBA was because of a pay raise he was going to get at EHS. So lets not be cutting down MBA here when you obviously don't know what your talking about.

Though it was pretty classless for the EHS parents to be chanting...Hey Hey Hey...Goodbye, towards MBA at the end of the game. So chief lets act like we have one a game before. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Wow you sound like a narcissus /elitists jerk! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

By the way whom are all these MBA greats playing for Princeton and Harvard?

Seams like your best kid from last year is playing at UT!

The landscape of TN football changed long time ago in the 90's with the split.

The 9th and 10th grade kids coming in affect every program in TN. Since the Ensworth High School football program is new, your throwing cheap shots. When Ravenwood won the 5A state the same thing could have been said about them except the financial aid package part. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" From what I saw on the highlights it looked like the two young men you referred to are black. Is the head of racism popping up also with your narcissus/elitists attitude?

Most DII, Private School or open zone program has approached everyone in the state who has a child that was/is a great athlete. It comes in the way of parents from that program talking to the young person or their parents and other examples.

Sound like your mad because your team was out recruited.

MBA currently has a handful of players playing in the IVY League. A handful of years ago we had three starters at Yale.

Not sure you can beat us over the head about racism. MBA has a number of black students, some of whom play football.

Yes i do

Michael Dunn-WR/DB

Watson Sweat-OL

Matt Reed-WR

Myers Beard-LB/FB

Those are the only starters on the EHS varsity football team who played for the 5th and 6th grade team at Ensworth.

That is 4 starter out of 22 starters so...looks like EHS and Coach Bowers are going out and getting the players he wants. But anyways EHS played a great game and won the game at the line of scrimmage. The game really showed how big of a loss it was for the Defensive line at MBA to lose starter Reuben Thomas to a ACL injury as well as Joseph Sloan to the same injury. The O line for MBA also not having starting Center Owen Lipscomb and losing Tackle Clark Benton early in the game as well as Joesph Sloan at TE with his catching ability and blocking. EHS now is the team the beat and they won't be sneaking up on anybody anymore. After watching the game, I would put Tavaress Jefferson and Orleans Darkwa as the best Duo of players in the state...they are Electrifying.

Also,

OL - Teddy Reeve

Reeve may start but Bowers does not

Bowers does start - CB

David Whitfield is a fine man and I love him to death! But he is not a English teacher TransplantMom!! He is a History teacher and for the reason he left MBA was because of a pay raise he was going to get at EHS. So lets not be cutting down MBA here when you obviously don't know what your talking about.

Though it was pretty classless for the EHS parents to be chanting...Hey Hey Hey...Goodbye, towards MBA at the end of the game. So chief lets act like we have one a game before. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hmm that's funny. When I had my kids' conference with him LAST WEEK it for the ENGLISH class he's teaching on African American Literature and Writing. But I'm so glad YOU know what YOU'RE talking about and how much you LOVE Whitfield yet think he left for money alone.

You don't even want to start talking about CLASSLESS behavior of MBA parents and MBA kids including throwing dollar bills when the basketball team is introduced, some of the obnoxious and disgusting posters they had at the game Friday night, high five-ing one another in GLEE when they found out Tavarres Jefferson was out for the season last year (I've know THAT lovely boy since he was 4) , a player (yes, I know your mother you little punk) flipping off the Ensworth crowd from the field in the middle of the 4th quarter AND, last but certainly not least, football players refusing to shake hands with our team at the end of the game or even running off the field completely (I know your Daddy too kiddo).

Gentlemen all around. Yep.