MBA vs. Ensworth

Ensworth11

MBA-63

Tavarres-3 (He is going to kick our field goals /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> )

We haven't played anyone this year. Knox Webb is not a good team by the way and McCallie got physically dominated by BA.

Kenji Alexander is also a threat that MBA must prepare for....agreed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over three games MBA plays three very significant games. I question whether there's enough history at the varsity level to call Ensworth a rivalry yet, but it's a big game any way you slice it. Follow that with BA, and then Ryan. That's three awfully big games in a stretch.

What makes this a rivalry right from the get go is that 6 years ago a lot of the boys playing for Ensworth would have been playing for MBA. MBA/BA is a neighborhood brawl, MBA/Ryan is a huge game that goes back years. MBA/Ensworth is more like the Civil War, literally in some cases brother against brother, splitting families. There is not a boy at MBA that wants to be part of the first football team to lose to Ensworth. Add to that the way Ensworth raided MBA's faculty, and there is no love lost from the MBA side.

I think entering this game with a pass oriented approach might well be to Ensworth's advantage. MBA's secondary seemingly comes up with interceptions, but they've been giving up a pretty decent amount of yards through the air (not unlike the Commodores actually). However, Ensworth kind of reminds me of another very athletic run oriented team MBA faced in 2002...Baylor. In the regular season Courtney Braswell ran 12 times for like 306 yards. MBA would later defeat Baylor in the playoffs en route to a state title but there's no doubt that a well executed running game can give even the mightiest of teams nightmares. Knowing who the coaches are at EHS and having some idea as to what their roster looks like, there's no reason to believe the Tigers will come in unprepared so I totally expect them to run their offense relatively effectively.

Two things have stood out to me lately about MBA and should the Big Red continue to make these mistakes they will fall eventually. An alarming amount of penalties have been committed lately by Big Red players. That is absolutely unacceptable and must stop. I hope I never see three false start penalties on one drive again. The other thing that has stood out to me is what has seemed like an inability to wrap the QB up before he evades the rush. Opposing QBs have escaped from a collapsing pocket and picked up five yards too many times this season. There have been several instances where I've seen the ends get way too far upfield, opening up massive running lanes. If Jackson emerges from a QB scramble unscathed, the defense didn't do its job as well as it could have.

I think Fletcher may ultimately prove to be the deciding factor, assuming MBA is able to refrain from shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and keep EHS"s talented backfield relatively in check like they did with Wesley Tate. Despite the fact that this game is literally impossible to predict, we can all rest assured that it will be a hard hitting affair that will kick off what might be the biggest football weekend Nashville has seen in some time (MBA/Ensworth for the first time on Hwy 100, AU/VU with Game Day, Titans@Ravens while we're undefeated).

Unfortunately, i have to agree with your second paragraph. I'm not sure MBA has really put together a full 48 minutes this season. The slow start against both JP II and Ravenwood is very worrisome. They punt very well, assuming the snap stops at the punter, and not 12 yards beyond him. To win the next three games, MBA will have to play well and play focused. They're certainly capable of it, but they haven't done it yet.

What makes this a rivalry right from the get go is that 6 years ago a lot of the boys playing for Ensworth would have been playing for MBA. MBA/BA is a neighborhood brawl, MBA/Ryan is a huge game that goes back years. MBA/Ensworth is more like the Civil War, literally in some cases brother against brother, splitting families. There is not a boy at MBA that wants to be part of the first football team to lose to Ensworth. Add to that the way Ensworth raided MBA's faculty, and there is no love lost from the MBA side.

I know there's some bad blood over some of the moves, and some students who would have gone to MBA went to Ensworth. But as Nashville's population has grown, I'm not sure it's been a factor: there aeem to be enough kids in the private school market for solid programs to attract enough kids.

As an aside, for whatever reason, in my day, the students who came to MBA from Ensworth (as 7th graders or 9th graders) very seldom contributed much to the football program. They were academically very well prepared, had some decent basketball players and some excellent track athletes, but few football players. Of course, Ensworth was never much of a force in the HVAC, not much more competition than an open date (You have to go back a ways to know the HVAC).

Just In:

The Tennessee Titans have just asked Tavarres to skip high school and go pro in the NFL. No word on his decision yet.

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

That sums it up, motorbikes. Word on the street is that MBA is employing a tactic called "we don't lose to Enswroth". No word on its intentions or motives. Ensworth is employing a tactic known among the Ensworthians as "Use Coach Bowers braces to interfere with the QBs vision and impair the whole team using a series of mirrors". MBA is countering with visors that defelct that light from the braces into the Ensworth players faces, thus is the deciding factor of the game. Light Refraction is the name of the game. "Can't run when you can't see." - Pacman Jones

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

This thread sure seems to be a lot of ensworth kids talking to each other. Nothing really of value.

I know you cant hear sarcasm though the computer but surely you had to realize that they are MBA kids bashing Ensworth. At this point i have not read one comment from an obvious ensworth fan that has been disrespectful to certain people or the opposing establishment. Adversely one or two other parties seem intent upon proving their lack of maturity by pointing out certain players or coaches or COACHES FAMILY MEMBERS. Im glad ensworth has kept it clean.

One of the best rivalries in the state. Last year, MBA has a 19 game winning streak and beat Ensworth 14-0 on their homecoming last year. What are the thoughts and predictions for this game at Ensworth? Please refrain from discussing recruitment issues.

So what you are telling me is that Antonio isn't eligable yet? That's all I want to know.