lets do the right thing

blueboy

Why don't we try to do whats the best for the students. Adults trying to get a advantage is what all this bickering about private vs. public. The TSSAA or whoever needs to step up and do the right thing. As it stands now, its just a big mess. Everyone wants to win so bad, they forget about doing the right thing. High School Football is for the students not the adults. Lets make it fun and fair for everyone. (This does not guarntee wins!) Passing grades, practice hard and have fun on Friday nights.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

so what is the right thing?

I have a twist on an older idea. Have each private school create a geographic zone based on data collected directly from their archives regarding the exact location of present and previous students home addresses. Use this information to create a ZONE for their school to be approved by the TSSAA that represents the majority (70-80%) of their drawing pool. Of course there will be some overlap with other private schools... but that can be okay. This information can be put to use to help establish "Feeder Zones" for all private schools just like public schools have and it will eliminiate one of the complaints brought by most public schools. :D

ELA that sounds fine to me. As you guys know I live in Memphis, and I attended high school at Harding Academy, yet I lived one block from Briarcrest, three blocks from MUS, three blocks from Ridgeway, about 8 blocks from CBHS and about a mile from Lausanne behind me. I know at Harding the students didn't really live near the actual school, sure some did...but two of my best friends lived in Olive Branch, MS (15-17 miles from the school). I had another friend that lived in Brighton TN which was about 50 minutes from Memphis. All three of those individuals were excellent athletes, and one is now going to play in the SEC. I think a lot of kids at Harding do not go there because of the proximity to the school. I highly doubt kids are going to MUS just because its close by, its by far the best academic institution in West TN for boys, and its been around since the 1800's, I would venture to say that many of the boys there have had their fathers go there as well. I guess without knowing where everyone actually lived (in Memphis the majority would be East TN, with a gradual move to MS or Collierville or Cordova) its hard to say exactly how to do it. Harding is the only church of christ school from Memphis to Nashville (ezell is one too), so if your c.o.c. you might choose harding. If you don't want to go to an all boys or girls school but you are catholic, you would probably go to St. Benedict. If you are southern baptist you would probably go to ECS or BCS. Harding doesn't have many baptists at our school, and my brother says that BCS doesn't have any COC's at BCS (where he attends)...so maybe there is a direct coorelation.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

ELA that sounds fine to me. As you guys know I live in Memphis, and I attended high school at Harding Academy, yet I lived one block from Briarcrest, three blocks from MUS, three blocks from Ridgeway, about 8 blocks from CBHS and about a mile from Lausanne behind me. I know at Harding the students didn't really live near the actual school, sure some did...but two of my best friends lived in Olive Branch, MS (15-17 miles from the school). I had another friend that lived in Brighton TN which was about 50 minutes from Memphis. All three of those individuals were excellent athletes, and one is now going to play in the SEC. I think a lot of kids at Harding do not go there because of the proximity to the school. I highly doubt kids are going to MUS just because its close by, its by far the best academic institution in West TN for boys, and its been around since the 1800's, I would venture to say that many of the boys there have had their fathers go there as well. I guess without knowing where everyone actually lived (in Memphis the majority would be East TN, with a gradual move to MS or Collierville or Cordova) its hard to say exactly how to do it. Harding is the only church of christ school from Memphis to Nashville (ezell is one too), so if your c.o.c. you might choose harding. If you don't want to go to an all boys or girls school but you are catholic, you would probably go to St. Benedict. If you are southern baptist you would probably go to ECS or BCS. Harding doesn't have many baptists at our school, and my brother says that BCS doesn't have any COC's at BCS (where he attends)...so maybe there is a direct coorelation.

I don't think any of us in Division I really worry too much about Division II; however, it does divide out more clearly in the Metro Nashville area with Regions 5-1A and 4-2A. You are right about the religious schools, i.e. Baptist kids go to their schools, COC's go to Harding, Catholics go to P-schools, etc... the big difference is really with the Metro schools. Maybe it will never work, but this is one of the BIG questions public schools have about private institutions!