Sullivan Central @ Sullivan South

83SouthRebel

It is interesting to note that I was told recently by a Central community Authority that their program is in turmoil once again and that nothing short of a complete house cleaning is in order. My understanding is that potential BB players are made to understand that their decision to play football will, does, and has had an effect on their standing on the roundball team. This is but one of many issues I was made aware of.

The Central program IS in a mess again. We don't have enough athletes at that school for a basketball coach to discriminate against the ones that want to play football. He needs to latch on to the players he can get and if he has to share them with the football team then so be it. As far as football goes we seem to have talent, just not being utilized. We do have a couple of players being looked at by "high dollar schools", but how much of that is from "creative marketing" on the home front if you get my drift. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes. I am not disrespecting Central, I just want it to get better, but I agree, a house cleaning is due AGAIN. And this time the positions need to be filled by those with the knowledge of what will be best for the entire school, not just the benefit of their own.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to note that I was told recently by a Central community Authority that their program is in turmoil once again and that nothing short of a complete house cleaning is in order. My understanding is that potential BB players are made to understand that their decision to play football will, does, and has had an effect on their standing on the roundball team. This is but one of many issues I was made aware of.

Disturbing, but not unexpected. Roundball is the sport at CHS right now.

How has Central been and continued to be so bad? Holston MS has been pretty strong over the past several years and BMS has a few players every year.

South - 44

Central - 0

Even I will have to admit that is funny.

It is very unfortunate this is how it works out at Central. As far as why Central is bad, I would have to look at the offseason workouts. I don't think they are hard enough personally, and they don't have coaches in there making the kids lift, it is basically lift on your own basis. Kids are forced to pick 1 sport, and when they see what happens with one, such as basketball, and what happens in football, they obviously go to basketball. The kids who play football love it, thats why it is heartbreaking to me to see how much work some put into it for nothing.

As far as a full housecleaning goes, I think Coach Nelson deserves more time. There is an adjustment period for certain coaches, 2 years I do not feel is enough time to gauge how a coach will be for the long run. I hope everyday that good things happens for that program, and eventually it will. There are peaks and valleys at all schools, and the athletes are there to make special things happen, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

P.S.-Look out for Taylor Winchell and his sophomore class, has the chance of turning the program around. He will only get better

And I agree about the multiple sports thing. Coaches should encourage kids to play other sports unless it could affect college scholarships. A starter one year should be the starter next year even if he played another sport, unless there is a kid who is just flat out better than him, he shouldn't lose his starting spot because he is a great athlete and is good at other sports.

I used BB as a lateral example of misconduct. It goes much deeper. Too deep. Chas' Seegar from Holston has been shunned from coaching at Central. I'm not a Central person so I don't know why. I just know that in conversations with him I understand he has been ready and willing to go there for some time. His record at Holston Middle speaks loudly. His only reservation is will he be replaced with a quality individual. A moral individual. It is a double edged sword for him...he is unsure where he can have the most important affect.

Holston middle plays at the top of the heap every year in football and their BB program is very good. Along with track and baseball. No reason why that can't continue at Central. I am not an advocate of Central doing anything drastic. But the things that were said to me make any problems South has pale in comparison. It's no wonder DM fought to come to South.

Agreed. Sieger should have been hired to coach Central when Nelson was hired. He has proven himself at Holston as a quality head coach. What had Nelson done before Central hired him? I hear politics went a long way to determining his fate. Some influential boosters wanted their son(s) to play specific positions and didn't feel Seeger would bow to their wills. At Holston he put players in positions to give the TEAM the best chance to win. Not necessarily their preferred positions. The kids from Holston in this year's Central senior class beat Colonial Heights in the county championship game when when they were 8th graders on South's field. Now they can't win a game! Give me a break! Clearly the ball is getting dropped after the kids leave Seeger's tutelage. If I had kids concerned about both academics and athletics I would send them to South also. How many drubbings must Central kids and fans endure before the adults do something about it?

South-91

Central-10

South tries their best to run the score up as much as they can to get that #1 ranking from DB while they are off, but not this wk boys.

Neither South nor D-B should worry about meaningless rankings and infighting. Focus on one game at a time and we might just bring back 2 championships to Kingsport! Roll Tribe and Go Rebels!

Oh it's Homecomin thar boys and mama roberts done got blinders on her baby boy carl so he won't look at some FINE wimmen in tha Homecomin Court! But being the IVY LEAGUE prospect that he is, he'll take off them blinders when mama ain't looking. My buddy and lifelong friend, Major Amos T. Hoople said hit best. "Successful teams have camaraderie on and off the field." Coach Carter is one class act, not that Coach Nelson ain't, but Scott done got a posse of them Central parents on his tail already. How many does this make they done got fared? Ya can't make a silk purse outta a sow's ear or in this case ya can't make chicken salad if you only got chicken...............well never mind. boola boola

Oh it's Homecomin thar boys and mama roberts done got blinders on her baby boy carl so he won't look at some FINE wimmen in tha Homecomin Court! But being the IVY LEAGUE prospect that he is, he'll take off them blinders when mama ain't looking. My buddy and lifelong friend, Major Amos T. Hoople said hit best. "Successful teams have camaraderie on and off the field." Coach Carter is one class act, not that Coach Nelson ain't, but Scott done got a posse of them Central parents on his tail already. How many does this make they done got fared? Ya can't make a silk purse outta a sow's ear or in this case ya can't make chicken salad if you only got chicken...............well never mind. boola boola

I'm not in the know, but I don't think Scott Nelson is the nucleus of the problem. I think the problem was embedded when he got there and the roots are deep.

Neither South nor D-B should worry about meaningless rankings and infighting. Focus on one game at a time and we might just bring back 2 championships to Kingsport! Roll Tribe and Go Rebels!

Zax...you are a DB dad?! OMG! And you are in support of the Rebels?! Dude, you have guts. More power to you. And thanks for the support. And what you said would be powerful if it could happen. But we have a hard row to hoe and it is truly one game at a time from here on out. Outside of our conference is MoEast, MoWest, and Greenville...whew. And in our conference is 'Betsy and they will give us the most competition we can handle. And Bristol will play South to the wire even if they don't win another game. And then there is North... On a positive note...Bobeye is back tonight and Cassell is back next week. And Caleb Anderson has officially stepped it up. If our D can catch up with our O then that spells DO. DO IT! JUST DO IT! The potential is there. Rebel Nation.