MBA vs. EHS (Mature Discussion)

poindexter83

This matchup could very well be the state championship preview with Brentwood Academy struggling... MBA is certainly the favorite being 19-0, BUT injuries to Joseph Sloan and Ruben Thomas hurt their depth on the defensive line meaning Johnson and Bubis will test their endurance... Also, the game is at Ensworth, meaning the fans will be rowdy and loud for the tigers. If MBA struggles and turns the ball over this game could sway to the tigers advantage. However, coach Mcgugin and the leaders of the MBA team will be prepared and ready to take on Tavarres Jefferson and company. I am very excited to see this one. I am predicting the Tigers to end the Big Red's undefeated streak and win 21-17... unless MBA is able to clean up their sloppy play. Goodluck to both teams this should be a great battle.

Well said...I'm not one for predicitions, so I'll leave that alone. I'm not sure I'd write BA off quite yet. They looked decent against a very talented Prattville team: take away two first half turnovers, and that's a different game. Also, I'm not sure if the Memphis teams are going to conced the season yet; nobody really knows a lot about them, and I don't see many posters from down there.

Enjoy the game tonight. I hope that little cool spell ends and it's unbearably hot (I think that would favor MBA).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This matchup could very well be the state championship preview with Brentwood Academy struggling... MBA is certainly the favorite being 19-0, BUT injuries to Joseph Sloan and Ruben Thomas hurt their depth on the defensive line meaning Johnson and Bubis will test their endurance... Also, the game is at Ensworth, meaning the fans will be rowdy and loud for the tigers. If MBA struggles and turns the ball over this game could sway to the tigers advantage. However, coach Mcgugin and the leaders of the MBA team will be prepared and ready to take on Tavarres Jefferson and company. I am very excited to see this one. I am predicting the Tigers to end the Big Red's undefeated streak and win 21-17... unless MBA is able to clean up their sloppy play. Goodluck to both teams this should be a great battle.

I agree that the injuries are a blow for MBA, but EHS has some significant injuries as well. Wesley will need to play more defense, but it won't be every play, and EHS plays most everybody both ways, so in terms of the need for endurance, advantage MBA.

Why would you ever not want Ricky over Rutledge of McGugin? Bowers has more state championships and much more success than those two. McGugin has had one state championship, but Bowers has had more. McGugin has played in one season of big games, with prior experience of head coaching at Franklin Road Academy (less than noteworthy). Also, I find it of note that you would not trade five of Ricky (who chose to leave MBA) for one Rutledge (who was forced out). Something's gotta give there. Obviously, you still hold some bitterness for the best coach in the state leaving your program.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not bitter. I'm certainly greatful for all Coach Bowers did while he was at MBA. He really, really improved everything he inherited. Much of what we have now can be traced back to him. He's also a good man who still treats people with kindness and respect around MBA, including people like me who played before he took over. But what he wanted at MBA...MBA simply wasn't willing to give him. EHS was. So, shake hands, wish each other luck, and move on. We've won 3 state titles since he's left, so it's not like we've been wallowing in mediocrity without him. If anyone has demonstrated "bitterness" it was the coach who instead of being gracious in defeat said "it's our 6th varsity game; it's their 1000th. We'll be fine."

Also, it's not mathematically possible for Daniel to have more championships than Ricky because he's only been the head coach at MBA for one season.

As a D2 fan from Chattanooga I have read these post with interest. I just have to say in all of my years reading and following D2 I have never read the kind of posts written by Ensworth fans. They almost remind me of the threads put out by Ooltewah Owls fans in Chattanooga.

Maybe it is because the are "new" to D2 and do not have a history. But I honestly can't think of another school that sounds like this. I have thought maybe it is mostly the students....but so many of the posts are written when they should be in school. So are these adults?

I certainly do not have a dog in the hunt on this game but just found the posts continually written on the Ensworth side....well, let's just say very un-D2 like.

MBA 28

Ensworth 14

Interesting post. It has been very obvious to me and your "outsider" post just confirmed what I have known.

MBA 24

Ensworth 14

As a D2 fan from Chattanooga I have read these post with interest. I just have to say in all of my years reading and following D2 I have never read the kind of posts written by Ensworth fans. They almost remind me of the threads put out by Ooltewah Owls fans in Chattanooga.

Maybe it is because the are "new" to D2 and do not have a history. But I honestly can't think of another school that sounds like this. I have thought maybe it is mostly the students....but so many of the posts are written when they should be in school. So are these adults?

I certainly do not have a dog in the hunt on this game but just found the posts continually written on the Ensworth side....well, let's just say very un-D2 like.

MBA 28

Ensworth 14

What angers me greatly about Ensworth is their school pride. Ensworth seems to possess an amount of school pride and cockiness about them that I have never seen before and they have no right to have any of this. Ensworth hasn't proved anything to me or anyone else in this DII division. And besides having accomplished nothing, Ensworth possesses one of lamest student bodies in nashville. I can honestly say that i have friends from Father Ryan and even don't mind some kids from BA, But i can not name anyone besides their student body president and one other kid over there that I have any respect for.

Everyone wonders why MBA kids get so fired up for this game, that is the reason.

Ensworth you are nothing. And were gonna roll into the jungle and bring yall down a couple notches, and put yall in the place where yall belong.

Red Rover Red Rover, this one is over. MBA by 21

ROLL RED ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would agree with the majority of what you are saying. However, I do have to disagree with you on two points. Yes, McGugin is undefeated in state championship games. However, I guarantee you that 99% of coaches that are close to each of these programs would admit that if they had to win one game they would have to choose Bowers over McGugin. You have to remember that McGugin learned most of his craft from Bowers, and so he can only be as good as he tries to imitate, which means that Bowers has to be the greater coach. Also, having played for both McGugin and Bowers in football as they have become head coaches, I firmly believe that Coach McGugin would never fathom that anyone would consider him a superior coach than his mentor Bowers. In fact he himself would not even go so far as to say he is a better coach than Bowers. Also, the fact that you believe an MBA trained coach is the only way to defeat MBA in ignorant, haughty, and unrealistic. Countless teams have defeated MBA without any linkage to the school in their coaching staff. I cannot express to you how absurd your statement is. MBA teams that would travel to the likes of football power houses in Texas would get murdered. There is no true logic behind your statement, but I will hand it to you, you are one of supreme confidence and a great sense of superiority with a lot of granted school pride, which I do not at all mean in a 100% negative fashion.

Thank you.

roast completed

First of all McGugin did not learn all his football from Bowers. He did work as a graduate assistant at Miami under Coker, helping coach running backs there. So to say he learned it all from Ricky is not true. But that being said they are both great coaches. And in response to the comment that there must be something wrong with not wanting 5 Ricky's over one Rutledge, the reasoning behind that is that Coach Rutledge took a keen interest in making his players better people. He made them read a book entitled The Season of Life solely to help them understand that the most important aspect of football was the respect between teammates. He also tried to make sure his players understood that the lessons of sports apply to life. As BigRedDad is most likely a parent of an MBA player or former player, he had to enjoy the fact that the coach was trying to make his sons better men.

First of all McGugin did not learn all his football from Bowers. He did work as a graduate assistant at Miami under Coker, helping coach running backs there. So to say he learned it all from Ricky is not true. But that being said they are both great coaches. And in response to the comment that there must be something wrong with not wanting 5 Ricky's over one Rutledge, the reasoning behind that is that Coach Rutledge took a keen interest in making his players better people. He made them read a book entitled The Season of Life solely to help them understand that the most important aspect of football was the respect between teammates. He also tried to make sure his players understood that the lessons of sports apply to life. As BigRedDad is most likely a parent of an MBA player or former player, he had to enjoy the fact that the coach was trying to make his sons better men.

I think that is great how Coach Rutledge did that. I do believe Bowers is one to do this, too. He is always encouraging multiple books for his players and is a very mindful man of making his players better people. He always is one to mention that nothing matters what you do on the field, but what really matters is what you do off the field and making good choices there. He is a very good man that teaches his players life lessons just as much if not more than how to run an offense. No, definently more. Both coaches are great men.

"it's our 6th varsity game; it's their 1000th. We'll be fine."

I dont think that Coach Bowers displayed bitterness by saying that. Granted he was not his usual self displaying no elation or disappointment after a game but i dont think it was bitter. There is a lot of history with him and MBA one could understand that was a game he really wanted to win. He pointed out a fact. One that is very true and pertinent. It is important that MBA has a great storied tradition, that obviously helps and he most likely meant that he understands that "rome was not built in a day" (not to sound cocky paralleling EHS football with the likes of arguibly the greatest empire ever).

It bothers me to see the sneaky antics of only a few MBA faithful deceive the posters on Coach T. I thought it was obvious that "ensworthless" and the other kid who are acting like Ensworth students were not students. I have not seen any posts by an Ensworth student or fan that exudes cockiness. I also dont concede that the actual Ensworth posters are right in their arguments but i have not seen any be disrespectful. What is disrespectful is making fun of Coach Bowers and his family, or making up stories to reflect badly on Ensworths community by saying they "signed a pact to take #4 off on a stretcher. Try to be cognizant of not only what people are saying but also who is saying it. To my knowlege there has been no trash talk from any Ensworth people. I can assure you they got a talk about not posting on here.