Question regarding red card

chasanooga

DonCChatt and chasanooga, just a thought. If she is ruled she has to sit out senior night as a part of a 2 game suspension.....could ND put off senior night and have it if ND hosts their first playoff game? I don't really know how A/AA is looking right now for playoffs....but ND looks good. I know this would only work if ND has a home game locked up after the CCS game. But if they are assured a first round game at home maybe that could be a possiblity. Just a thought. Good luck to the keeper.....very tough break.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DonCChatt and chasanooga, just a thought. If she is ruled she has to sit out senior night as a part of a 2 game suspension.....could ND put off senior night and have it if ND hosts their first playoff game? I don't really know how A/AA is looking right now for playoffs....but ND looks good. I know this would only work if ND has a home game locked up after the CCS game. But if they are assured a first round game at home maybe that could be a possiblity. Just a thought. Good luck to the keeper.....very tough break.

Bluelion I like your ideal. ND has CCS next Tues. which will determine who will host the district tournament or who gets home field advantage through out the tournament. I hate that this happened to Olivia. She is such a sweet girl with great parents.

Hey guys this might work.

PS Goes to show that even a Baylor fan/ Red Bank fan can have a good ideal every now and then. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

MVM....it doesn't happen often for me for sure. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I really hope that something can work out for the Irish player. By the way great game last night for the Trojans......this looks like your year.

Bluelion I like your ideal. ND has CCS next Tues. which will determine who will host the district tournament or who gets home field advantage through out the tournament. I hate that this happened to Olivia. She is such a sweet girl with great parents.

Hey guys this might work.

PS Goes to show that even a Baylor fan/ Red Bank fan can have a good ideal every now and then. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Playing on senior night is not the issue with this player. The real issue is how you feel receiving your first ever card, and red at that, and knowing the rule that a goalkeeper can't handle the ball outside the penalty box, but having to play in a situation that the penalty box was not clearly visible to the goalkeeper with distinctive lines from all angles in all kinds of conditions, sunny daylight, etc. but was however visible from the officials angle. Is discretion permitted to see the situation and take this circumstance into consideration and give at most a very stern warning to stay away from the front of the box due to the visibility problem?

Well unless this can be reversed, it is another lesson in dealing with disappointment, but knowing that you can survive it, and just move on. Soccer team participation builds character in many ways.

But again, the keeper says that she has no desire to see any change in the date of senior night that the team has planned. ND Lady Irish Soccer has had its success due to its members knowing we are a team and we do what is in the best interest of the team, and you trust your coaches and the decisions they make will be what is in the best interest of the team, for the school for whom you ultimately represent in the first place. Senior night will come and be enjoyed. We then need to see a team focusing on the post season, not on a delayed senior night. Go Irish!

ND Lady Irish Soccer has had its success due to its members knowing we are a team and we do what is in the best interest of the team, and you trust your coaches and the decisions they make will be what is in the best interest of the team, for the school for whom you ultimately represent in the first place. Senior night will come and be enjoyed. We then need to see a team focusing on the post season, not on a delayed senior night. Go Irish!

Well said!

Playing on senior night is not the issue with this player. The real issue is how you feel receiving your first ever card, and red at that, and knowing the rule that a goalkeeper can't handle the ball outside the penalty box, but having to play in a situation that the penalty box was not clearly visible to the goalkeeper with distinctive lines from all angles in all kinds of conditions, sunny daylight, etc. but was however visible from the officials angle. Is discretion permitted to see the situation and take this circumstance into consideration and give at most a very stern warning to stay away from the front of the box due to the visibility problem?

Well unless this can be reversed, it is another lesson in dealing with disappointment, but knowing that you can survive it, and just move on. Soccer team participation builds character in many ways.

But again, the keeper says that she has no desire to see any change in the date of senior night that the team has planned. ND Lady Irish Soccer has had its success due to its members knowing we are a team and we do what is in the best interest of the team, and you trust your coaches and the decisions they make will be what is in the best interest of the team, for the school for whom you ultimately represent in the first place. Senior night will come and be enjoyed. We then need to see a team focusing on the post season, not on a delayed senior night. Go Irish!

I'm sorry than I and others misread the intent of the earlier post about senior night being the issue.

About the card then......Daylight, Sunlight, painted lines, blue lines, It DOES NOT MATTER. "DOGSO". and I'm sorry to say nothing will change that.

I was only trying to see if there was a way to delay senior night for the player because several ND fans seemed concerned that she might have to miss senior night. I know how much these things mean to seniors so I was just trying to think outside the box. Good luck.

MVM I don't think most of us that read the start of the thread misread the intent of the post. It seemed to me also that it was out of concern for the player missing senior night and could something be done. I thought it was pretty nice actually for fans (that are not ND fans) to show concern for their senior night.

I agree with you also. I don't think that visabilty, time of day, etc will change anything. Sometime or another all teams face something similar. Refs can only go by the rules as unfortunate as it can be at times....thats just how it is.

I'm sorry than I and others misread the intent of the earlier post about senior night being the issue.

About the card then......Daylight, Sunlight, painted lines, blue lines, It DOES NOT MATTER. "DOGSO". and I'm sorry to say nothing will change that.

I'm sorry chattsoccer but a few questions as I was not at the game. But what was the visability problem. I can't tell for sure by what you are saying. Was it not lined off properly and was it at a time of day where the sun was glaring into the box? I can't understand for sure what you are saying. It sounds like that may be possibly what you are saying and that if that is the case is your question shouldn't the ref give a warning instead of a red? It is hard to respond without knowing exactly what the complaint is.

I would like to thank MVM and bluelion however in coming up with what I thought was a great idea for senior night. From your post that will not happen....and I am glad that does not seem to be an issue with our goalie. But I appreciate them (being fans of other teams) taking the time to care enough about the ND player to try and help us with a solution. I actually thought it was a very good idea. That was the intent of the thread I am pretty sure was concern over senior night.

Well I guess what we meant to say was that playing on senior night is not the "primary" issue.

And you know, all of your comments, suggestions, and thoughts in this situation are really, really sincerely appreciated. The hard part is accepting a red card which is for unsportsmanlike conduct, and this keeper has never in any way been unsportsmanlike, and did not do this deliberately, or with any intentions of "cheating" the attacker out of their opportunity of scoring.

But no matter what happens will stay determined, and will always, always in the future closely check out the "lines" and adjust play, even as the hardly visible lines change with the setting sun.

I'm sorry chattsoccer but a few questions as I was not at the game. But what was the visability problem. I can't tell for sure by what you are saying. Was it not lined off properly and was it at a time of day where the sun was glaring into the box?

It was an ND goalie and was at ND, so it was our own fault, but yes, the lines were very, very faint yellow. From the stands, I could not even see the lines. As far as the sun goes, it was 30-45 minutes from dropping behind the mountains, and was almost in the goalie's face. I don't know why the lines were so faint (it's a mute point now).

I know the goalie didn't realize what she had done, and didn't even realize that she had been carded.

Bottom line, it was an unfortunate situation that a mistake on part of the groundskeeper ended up costing the goalie a card. Good news is that ND will play at least one game beyond senior night, and hopefully 8 more games. Go Irish!

Thanks for sheading light on this DonCChatt. I was not there for either game unfortunatley. I think you hit the nail on the head by saying.....it was ND's fault with the lines. Where the sun is at the time is just a part of the game. It seems almost every game, except for 7:00 games, the sun is a factor for a while.

I thought the issue was senior night from your and chasanooga's post...and actually I think that was the issue. I just don't think from what chattsoccer was saying that ND could have a leg to stand on with the red card. Obviously it was not meant to be "unsportsman like". But that is a rule and don't see how anything could ever be reversed.

Curious, if the lines were so faint....did anyone call attention before the JV game. Also, was the field lined before the varsity game. With the ending of the JV game I feel sure it was. Sorry the goalie is going to miss senior night. That is very unforunate.....but I sure don't think that could be the ref's fault. Hopefully the line situation will never happen again.

It was an ND goalie and was at ND, so it was our own fault, but yes, the lines were very, very faint yellow. From the stands, I could not even see the lines. As far as the sun goes, it was 30-45 minutes from dropping behind the mountains, and was almost in the goalie's face. I don't know why the lines were so faint (it's a mute point now).

I know the goalie didn't realize what she had done, and didn't even realize that she had been carded.

Bottom line, it was an unfortunate situation that a mistake on part of the groundskeeper ended up costing the goalie a card. Good news is that ND will play at least one game beyond senior night, and hopefully 8 more games. Go Irish!