Question regarding red card

chasanooga

Thanks for sheading light on this DonCChatt. I was not there for either game unfortunatley. I think you hit the nail on the head by saying.....it was ND's fault with the lines. Where the sun is at the time is just a part of the game. It seems almost every game, except for 7:00 games, the sun is a factor for a while.

I thought the issue was senior night from your and chasanooga's post...and actually I think that was the issue. I just don't think from what chattsoccer was saying that ND could have a leg to stand on with the red card. Obviously it was not meant to be "unsportsman like". But that is a rule and don't see how anything could ever be reversed.

Curious, if the lines were so faint....did anyone call attention before the JV game. Also, was the field lined before the varsity game. With the ending of the JV game I feel sure it was. Sorry the goalie is going to miss senior night. That is very unforunate.....but I sure don't think that could be the ref's fault. Hopefully the line situation will never happen again.

No idea if anybody said anything about the lines before the game or not. I'm pretty sure the lines were NOT re-lined between the JV game and Varsity game. With the setting sun, it wasn't as big an issue. I think the intention of the thread was not to say the call wasn't right or fair, but rather how to apply the 2-game suspension, whether a card in JV carried over to Varsity, and how to count the games between that JV game and senior night to see if she could be played legally. The ND coaches probably know how the rules work, and what needs to be done, it's just us arm-chair dad's wondering how things should work, and hoping to "fix" this if possible.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was certainly a big mistake. Can't imagine how at big game against Bearden that lining the fields was overlooked. I'll bet it doesn't happen again....parents sound like they will be on top of that.

No idea if anybody said anything about the lines before the game or not. I'm pretty sure the lines were NOT re-lined between the JV game and Varsity game. With the setting sun, it wasn't as big an issue. I think the intention of the thread was not to say the call wasn't right or fair, but rather how to apply the 2-game suspension, whether a card in JV carried over to Varsity, and how to count the games between that JV game and senior night to see if she could be played legally. The ND coaches probably know how the rules work, and what needs to be done, it's just us arm-chair dad's wondering how things should work, and hoping to "fix" this if possible.

Not to keep rehashing the same point but I posted in the "JV thread" that to stand behind the goal as the sun was setting in the keeper's face the lines became invisible from where she stood. (I did not repeat that line in my new post because in the end it would not change the call). When I was standing on the side with the sun at my back I could view the lines marking the box but they were faint. In the end it was very unfortunate for Olivia who played a heck of a good game as she was just trying to make a play on the ball as she slid out of the box.

Let me just say this, as i am known to chime in from time to time.

I feel the officials are TOO QUICK to pull the RED!!. They get to toss a kid and then, as far as i know--and i will stand corrected if i am wrong-- its over for them.

McMinn had a player tossed last weekend at the tournament. I am the one who had to console (sp--I teach AG and US, not english) the young lady, I am the one who had to discuss it with the team, I had to sit in the meeting with this player and the AD.

What did the Ref get to do? Nothing. He tosses a kid out, yells halfway across the field that he saw her elbow the opposing player in the face. (which i asked the player after the match and she told me that she did not feel as if my player did it intentially (again sp). So again, his part of the equation is OVER.

Perhaps they should be the ones who has to console the player(s), explain it to the parents, and meet with the AD!! Then maybe they wouldnt be so quick to toss someone out of a match for a "questionable striking" of another player!!

Thats my story and i am sticking to it!!

That would seem to be the case to me. She did sit out that game with Beardon, so that should be one and CCS would be two.

Still may be an issue. Red card in the boys season last year caused a player to miss the next two scheduled varsity contests. Something about the JV game being scheduled in conjunction with the Varsity game. There was also an additional one game suspension by the schools administration. Hope for the best though.

Still may be an issue. Red card in the boys season last year caused a player to miss the next two scheduled varsity contests. Something about the JV game being scheduled in conjunction with the Varsity game. There was also an additional one game suspension by the schools administration. Hope for the best though.

I watched a boys regional final a couple of years ago, when after the game, the ref got a little overzealous and red carded several players from Madison Academic. The players who weren't seniors had to sit out the first two games of the next season.

As to the faint lines, referee's could call a game and not allow it to be played because of the lines, but I imagine VERY few coaches would ever want a game called because of faint lines. At worst, it would seem more reasonable to bring it up with the coaches who should make sure the players are aware. I've been in many a game where the lines were faint, though usually its the sidelines. Did a game just last week where the grass had been cut short the day before and the cutting made all the lines very faint. And been in down pours where the lines disappeared in the middle of the game. But the games go on "as if the lines existed". An unfortunate event.