Halls@Powell

PhatCat

Lets try to change the tone a little.

If Halls has a chance of winning at Powell what will they have to get done on the offensive side of the ball? If we cut down on the miscues can our running game dominate?

Also, I was shocked to learn our defense gave up over 450 yards of offense last week to Clinton. Can we stop Kier Houston with a very similar offense rich with speedy receivers Drummer & Collins?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we get back to the actual topic...

I know I'm echoing what a lot of people have already said, but 1) Halls is much better than their 2-5 record indicates, and 2) Powell will not overlook Halls. This game is always a slugfest, and this year should be no exception. Halls has their backs against the wall. Last week was nearly a "must-win" situation for Halls, and they didn't get it done. This week is another "must-win" game for the Red Devils. If they don't win, they will likely miss the playoffs.

Kier Houston has the Panthers playing in high gear right now. Powell is really hitting their stride, and that is going to make it that much harder for Halls on Friday. Not having a kicker will hurt the Panthers at some point this season, and this is the type of game where it could make a difference.

It should be a real slobber-knocker. Powell doesn't have a place kicker, but Kier Houston is playing as well as any other quarterback in region 3 right now. Powell's win over Anderson County 2 weeks ago really fired up this team, and I look for that momentum to continue this week. Halls is still looking for that break-through win which has eluded them to this point. With South Doyle and Lenoir City remaining on their schedule, this is the last chance for Halls to redeem themselves. If it comes down to a field goal or an extra point, Halls has a big edge.

My prediction:

Powell 20 - Halls 17

4merhhsplayer,

Were you a player or did you just play football? I never claimed to be a star or have all of the answers. I was asked to put down what I would do and I did it? Coach J reads coacht, and I bet so do most of the other coaches. If they try what I said and it works, I will broadcast my name for all to see.

Where do you see bitter in my post? I am not the only person that has been on the coaches case this year. Brng back Coach Ward and let him totally run the offense like he did the past 3 years and you will see different results. If Ward gets more involved this week, WE WILL BEAT POWELL!! If the little bowlin ball is in charge, OMG another loose.

We gave up 450 yards of offence to Clinton, I cant believe that is right. I dont think Halls has given up that much ever before in my memory even when Maryville was killing us.

Is that not coach ward who coach williams has been talking to before everyplay on the sidelines since the sevier co. game? Also, could you please have someone else edit your posts before you hit the submit button. You're not exactly showing that the Halls schools have given you much of an education.

Yes i was a player for halls, hince the name 4merhhsplayer

Your attacks on Coach Williams' hieght make you sound bitter. Maybe you didnt get to play while he was the RB coach?

If your only attack is that he is short, big whoop, i know plenty of short people who are smart.

Plus you say Coach J needs to call the offense, do you think it would help the team if he had to call offense and defense? I believe that would hurt the team more then it would help them. Coach Williams is doing fine, I think it is more of execution. Halls is very similar to UT this year, had high hopes coming into the season with a new OC. The play calling is good enough, but execution is not there. Missed blocks, not hitting the right hole or not hitting it quick enough, missed reads on pass plays, or not throwing at all. This goes for all of football, the coaches coach, and the players play. The coaches can get the kids in the right place and teach them the right things to do, but when the time comes, are they going to do what they have been taught?

Why don't we get back to the actual topic...

I know I'm echoing what a lot of people have already said, but 1) Halls is much better than their 2-5 record indicates, and 2) Powell will not overlook Halls. This game is always a slugfest, and this year should be no exception. Halls has their backs against the wall. Last week was nearly a "must-win" situation for Halls, and they didn't get it done. This week is another "must-win" game for the Red Devils. If they don't win, they will likely miss the playoffs.

Kier Houston has the Panthers playing in high gear right now. Powell is really hitting their stride, and that is going to make it that much harder for Halls on Friday. Not having a kicker will hurt the Panthers at some point this season, and this is the type of game where it could make a difference.

It should be a real slobber-knocker. Powell doesn't have a place kicker, but Kier Houston is playing as well as any other quarterback in region 3 right now. Powell's win over Anderson County 2 weeks ago really fired up this team, and I look for that momentum to continue this week. Halls is still looking for that break-through win which has eluded them to this point. With South Doyle and Lenoir City remaining on their schedule, this is the last chance for Halls to redeem themselves. If it comes down to a field goal or an extra point, Halls has a big edge.

My prediction:

Powell 20 - Halls 17

Kahn is a excellent kicker. So I like our chances in a close one if he is called upon.

I am trying to keep a positive spin on this one. So if we can amass over 300 yards rushing and work the clock like no other and the dreaded "fumblitis" has been cured then we can be a factor. It should be a close game and we could win.

Also, our D has to forget about last week and put Houston under extreme pressure. If not he will pick us apart like Stone did and that exposure wasn't pretty close to 300 yards in the air. Gresham has to dial up his "A" game along with Johnson and Turner in the secondary, Bright has looked solid this year. A couple of picks would be what the doctor ordered. Not asking for much I know but we have to find some game changing plays to help our defense stay off the field.

Kahn is a excellent kicker. So I like our chances in a close one if he is called upon.

I am trying to keep a positive spin on this one. So if we can amass over 300 yards rushing and work the clock like no other and the dreaded "fumblitis" has been cured then we can be a factor. It should be a close game and we could win.

Also, our D has to forget about last week and put Houston under extreme pressure. If not he will pick us apart like Stone did and that exposure wasn't pretty close to 300 yards in the air. Gresham has to dial up his "A" game along with Johnson and Turner in the secondary, Bright has looked solid this year. A couple of picks would be what the doctor ordered. Not asking for much I know but we have to find some game changing plays to help our defense stay off the field.

Halls will have to do what Anderson County couldn't do against Powell. The Mavericks have a very balanced attack, but their passing game relies heavily on the success of their running game. Powell's gameplan was simple: stop the run. That has been the Achilles' heel of the Panther defense, especially early on this season. Both Campbell County and Maryville were able to run all over Powell. If Halls can run the ball with some success against Powell, Halls has a better than average chance to win. In Powell's 2 losses, they gave up 40+ points and 400+ yards rushing (in each game). The outcome of this game hinges on the success of Halls' running game.

Halls will have to do what Anderson County couldn't do against Powell. The Mavericks have a very balanced attack, but their passing game relies heavily on the success of their running game. Powell's gameplan was simple: stop the run. That has been the Achilles' heel of the Panther defense, especially early on this season. Both Campbell County and Maryville were able to run all over Powell. If Halls can run the ball with some success against Powell, Halls has a better than average chance to win. In Powell's 2 losses, they gave up 40+ points and 400+ yards rushing (in each game). The outcome of this game hinges on the success of Halls' running game.

That is a good point. Thus far, we haven't shown any inclination to a passing game. We have slightly attempted one, but with no success, we fall back on ol'faithful. If Powell is able to stop the run, then Halls has a small chance of running unless turnovers are a major factor and we can kick numerous fieldgoals and hold Powell's explosive offense in check.

That is a good point. Thus far, we haven't shown any inclination to a passing game. We have slightly attempted one, but with no success, we fall back on ol'faithful. If Powell is able to stop the run, then Halls has a small chance of running unless turnovers are a major factor and we can kick numerous fieldgoals and hold Powell's explosive offense in check.

I had a better feeling about last weeks game. Panthers are always hard to beat at home. If we keep this low scoring then we could bounce back. I can't see that happening this week we just can't stop the pass. We are too single dimensional we can run and play great run defense but we just can't pass and we can't stop the pass.

I aint very tall, but I'm taller than Mighty Mite Coach Williams. I said let COACH WARD RUN THE OFFENSE!!! Just because he is talking to the little fellar, don't mean he is going to go against him when he calls a play. Now if Coach Ward is calling the plays he knows what the heck he is doing.

Why would it hurt the team to have Coach J calling the plays on offense? I dont see him having the entire defense on the sidelines and talking to them when the offense is on the field, cause most of the players play both ways.

IRONMAN80TOO,

How would you like me to respond to your comments about having someone else moniter my posts before hitting the submit button? I think my education from Halls gave me exactly what I needed to get on this type of forum and respond intelligently to your post or any other post made by anyone on this entire board. In fact I think I fall right into the same old good ole boys syndrome that everyone adheres to in the Halls community.

Everyone seems to think that Halls has to pass "more" to win. With that in mind, consider this:

- After 7 ballgames, if you count the yardage we lose on a sack against the passing statistics, we have negative yardage pasing. NEGATIVE YARDAGE!!

- In the last two ballgames, INT's gave oppenents easy TD's that made a HUGE inpact on the outcome.

- When I have visited practice, the first thing I notice is how little time is spent in "group" on running plays and how much time is spent on passing plays.

- The running game is not clicking on all cylinders, and the passing game continues to struugle.When we analyze the risk/benefit, is it better to spend all this time on these pass plays at the expense of missed blocks, fumbles, missed holes, etc. ?

- In the two victories, we avg. 3 pass attempts per game. In the 5 losses, we have avg. 12. More pass attempts = a loss.

- What am I saying? This offense needs to get better at runnng the ball!! It still can improve, but in order to win we can't continue to have lineman miss blocks, RB's miss blocks and holes, and fumbles/penalties. Our best chance of winning is to get back to running the ball well!!

- What about passes? I suggested a long time ago passes on 2nd down, and passes downfield. Eliminate 75% of the passes we practice, identify which plays we can actually get off, and call some "safe" passes. About 7 - 10 passes, with a GOOD running game (not what we've had lately), and we have a chance to win.

- Coaches are coaching hard, players ae trying hard. Something is missing. Hopefully we can figure out what to change (no change = 2-6)

Everyone seems to think that Halls has to pass "more" to win. With that in mind, consider this:

- After 7 ballgames, if you count the yardage we lose on a sack against the passing statistics, we have negative yardage pasing. NEGATIVE YARDAGE!!

- In the last two ballgames, INT's gave oppenents easy TD's that made a HUGE inpact on the outcome.

- When I have visited practice, the first thing I notice is how little time is spent in "group" on running plays and how much time is spent on passing plays.

- The running game is not clicking on all cylinders, and the passing game continues to struugle.When we analyze the risk/benefit, is it better to spend all this time on these pass plays at the expense of missed blocks, fumbles, missed holes, etc. ?

- In the two victories, we avg. 3 pass attempts per game. In the 5 losses, we have avg. 12. More pass attempts = a loss.

- What am I saying? This offense needs to get better at runnng the ball!! It still can improve, but in order to win we can't continue to have lineman miss blocks, RB's miss blocks and holes, and fumbles/penalties. Our best chance of winning is to get back to running the ball well!!

- What about passes? I suggested a long time ago passes on 2nd down, and passes downfield. Eliminate 75% of the passes we practice, identify which plays we can actually get off, and call some "safe" passes. About 7 - 10 passes, with a GOOD running game (not what we've had lately), and we have a chance to win.

- Coaches are coaching hard, players ae trying hard. Something is missing. Hopefully we can figure out what to change (no change = 2-6)

I have to agree with you and if you go as far back as the Catholic game in preseason this is what we know so far.

We cannot block or give Turner time in the passing game. (Not really a passing QB anyway is he?)

When Turner hasn't any time he makes either a forced bad deceison(int) or runs the ball for very little pickup.

We don't have any speed at wideout. Even trick plays cause us pain.

So when we are chasing a game like last week we shouldn't jump on the Coaches because we aren't airing the ball out because the success rate is low and bad things tend to happen. We have to continue to run and unfortunately chew the clock at the same time. Fans won't understand it and thats why I see a lot of negativity lately.

I can not answer whats missing at the moment but whatever it is something changed from last year. I know everyone is giving 100% but facts are facts 5 games in the loss column wasn't what I thought at the beginning of the year.

Yes i was a player for halls, hince the name 4merhhsplayer

Your attacks on Coach Williams' hieght make you sound bitter. Maybe you didnt get to play while he was the RB coach?

If your only attack is that he is short, big whoop, i know plenty of short people who are smart.

Plus you say Coach J needs to call the offense, do you think it would help the team if he had to call offense and defense? I believe that would hurt the team more then it would help them. Coach Williams is doing fine, I think it is more of execution. Halls is very similar to UT this year, had high hopes coming into the season with a new OC. The play calling is good enough, but execution is not there. Missed blocks, not hitting the right hole or not hitting it quick enough, missed reads on pass plays, or not throwing at all. This goes for all of football, the coaches coach, and the players play. The coaches can get the kids in the right place and teach them the right things to do, but when the time comes, are they going to do what they have been taught?

Thats what I see this year. Quickness gone we look like we are in slow motion most of the time.