Private Schools are hurting Public Schools

larry

Please define what you mean by adding Christianity to your classroom.

VG,

I know that we tend to disagree on the necessity of small religious privates, but I think we both have a good idea what I meant. If you don't think I'm right that's ok, but I like you too much to get into a debate about details. In general it is currently illegal to publicly display your Christianity in your classroom in public ed. I'm not talking about living a love centered life, I'm talking about praying with and for the kids, discussing your Christian faith, and even (ACLU forbid!) reading scripture or having chapel.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happily pay my taxes that go to education. I'd like a little more accountablility for what they go for, but I am willing to pay even more as I believe that public ed is a cornerstone of any free society.

Have you picked up a public school history book lately. You'd think that the United States and democracy only exist as a function of diversity.

VG,

I know that we tend to disagree on the necessity of small religious privates, but I think we both have a good idea what I meant. If you don't think I'm right that's ok, but I like you too much to get into a debate about details. In general it is currently illegal to publicly display your Christianity in your classroom in public ed. I'm not talking about living a love centered life, I'm talking about praying with and for the kids, discussing your Christian faith, and even (ACLU forbid!) reading scripture or having chapel.

Is it currently illegal for a public school team to pray on public school grounds prior to a game?

What's the difference between praying in the public classroom oron the public football field?

Most public school kids probably pray before a big test.

Is it currently illegal for a public school team to pray on public school grounds prior to a game?

What's the difference between praying in the public classroom oron the public football field?

Most public school kids probably pray before a big test.

Yes, it is illegal as currently ruled on by the courts. Doesn't mean folks don't do it. Does mean that in the metro areas if you do it too much our buddies at the ACLU will show up and trouble will start. And any teacher that prays in his or her classroom with or in front of the kids is risking his or her career.

Yes, it is illegal as currently ruled on by the courts. Doesn't mean folks don't do it. Does mean that in the metro areas if you do it too much our buddies at the ACLU will show up and trouble will start. And any teacher that prays in his or her classroom with or in front of the kids is risking his or her career.

I would say you are likely correct...and what a shame that is.

Red Bank does it and has never stopped doing it. They are student-led invocations instead of "community" church leaders praying. I guess that makes some difference? The University of Tennessee has always had an invocation as well. I'm not sure if they put limitations or restrictions on the prayers or not. I have notiiced that the name of Christ is seldom, if ever, invoked. UCLA did not have any kind of invocation at the Rose Bowl on Septemvber 1 this year. (Tennessee obviously wishes they had!)

I wonder what makes the difference?

There are many christian organizations and clubs provided in a public school for christain students, FCA, Christian Crusaders, etc. Any student may practice his or her religion as long as it doesn't disrupt the school enviroment. Any teacher may practice their religion in public schools, you are just not allowed to share it with others unless asked. Its when one religion is forced upon another we have problems. Freedom of religion is the cornerstone of our society. Just remember not everyone will practice your religion and don't be offended if everyone does't practice your religion. As far as privates hurting publics, choice is always better than no choice. Competition makes things better. It has been mentioned that education is an entitlement, I like to think of it as an investment. When you invest in students you will get a better return later as they become an adult. We invest in america's national parks so they can be preserved for the future. Like education it is the tax payers who invest in these parks. We as tax payers may use these parks for vacation and recreation if we choose to, or we can pay much more money and go to disney world. Once again we as tax payers have a choice. If I chose to go to Disney world I don't get a Tax break because I choose not to go to Yellowstone. Same with mailing a package, I can choose to use USPS or I can use UPS or FedEx. I don't get a tax break just because I don't use USPS. Its the same for public education, choice is good, but don't expect tax breaks just because you chose private education.

There are many christian organizations and clubs provided in a public school for christain students, FCA, Christian Crusaders, etc. Any student may practice his or her religion as long as it doesn't disrupt the school enviroment. Any teacher may practice their religion in public schools, you are just not allowed to share it with others unless asked. Its when one religion is forced upon another we have problems. Freedom of religion is the cornerstone of our society. Just remember not everyone will practice your religion and don't be offended if everyone does't practice your religion. As far as privates hurting publics, choice is always better than no choice. Competition makes things better. It has been mentioned that education is an entitlement, I like to think of it as an investment. When you invest in students you will get a better return later as they become an adult. We invest in america's national parks so they can be preserved for the future. Like education it is the tax payers who invest in these parks. We as tax payers may use these parks for vacation and recreation if we choose to, or we can pay much more money and go to disney world. Once again we as tax payers have a choice. If I chose to go to Disney world I don't get a Tax break because I choose not to go to Yellowstone. Same with mailing a package, I can choose to use USPS or I can use UPS or FedEx. I don't get a tax break just because I don't use USPS. Its the same for public education, choice is good, but don't expect tax breaks just because you chose private education.

Well said. I have never understood the argument that some (by no means all) private supporters make that somehow they are "paying double". I am also in the camp that there must be no official religion in any government school. People who advocate for that should be careul what they wish for. Even if Christianity was the official religion, it might not be "your kind" of Christianity. No issue with neutral pre-game prayers, but one needs to be watchful.

Well said. I have never understood the argument that some (by no means all) private supporters make that somehow they are "paying double". I am also in the camp that there must be no official religion in any government school. People who advocate for that should be careul what they wish for. Even if Christianity was the official religion, it might not be "your kind" of Christianity. No issue with neutral pre-game prayers, but one needs to be watchful.

Not to be argumentative but please explain to me what a "neutral" prayer is.

How about "Shalom, Hallelujah, Alla Be Praised, Have a Nice Day! Amen" /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good start but I believe you might have left out a deity or two. I think to be neutral, you'd have to start out with something like, "Oh Whatever if in fact there is a Whatever...." Kind of reminds me what you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with a Unitarian.