Week 7 big games in Memphis

kwc

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree. But, by the same token, Whitehaven doesn't seem to be near the team that they were last year as well. I think that both Millington and Whitehaven are going through growing pains. But, It is awful nice to experience these pains while winning. Of the three remaining regular season games for Millington they will be potenitally pushed in two of them. Regardless of record, Bolton will give Millington a battle. They did last year. Cordova will be sky high for the season finale at their place. Millington cannot come into that one un-focused. If they do, then they will leave with a loss. The senior leaders have to demand this focus from the underclassmen during the week in practice. You play on Friday night the way to your Practice during the week.

Here's a question.... Is there a more Dynamic player in the State than Tausean Holmes???

Go Trojans!

We are not as explosive as we were a year ago (Whitehaven), but we are a more physical ball club. I think our focus as a team has changed to a more ball control offense. We brought back our entire offensive line from last season and we have won the battle up front every week. The defense is a stronger unit this year than what it was last year. We are content with punting the football and playing defense, but of course you no there's still game breakers on offense.

Holmes carried 9 times for 180 yds and a TD. He returned a punt for around 60 yards that was called back due to a penalty and he picked off a pass and returned it 45 yards or so. Prior to the Ridgeway game, he was averaging over 22 yards a touch and he had touched the ball a total of 50 times on the year.

Congratulations to Coach Brown and his staff for an great game firday night. I felt Ridgeway was better than they had shown through the season. I watched the Cordova film and the team that showed up at Millington was completely different than the one that played against Cordova. I know turnovers against Cordova hurt them and killed emotion as well as a giving up a touchdown on Special teams but they have talent and played really well firday. Coach Brown will have that program back at the top soon. Millington played very flat especially on Defense. I saw some of the youth and inexperience show up in areas for Millington but they never seemed to panic. They do have youth on the field but there is no lack in confidence that they will put it together and pull out a win. Tausean Holmes was game planned against pretty good by Ridgeway and they held in check for the most part and then quietly he remains calm and does what he does and breaks the backs of opponents. It seemed Ridgeways sole purpose was to stop holmes and they did so during the first half and finally the Trojans bread and butter which has been quiet all year took over. Yes, Tyrell Garner, was unstopable when used. Millington could have went away from Holmes and used him as a decoy and Garner would probably had 200yds. Most have forgotten that Garner exist but he is the heart of that offense and makes everything click. i can only say to those remaining don't think you are going to stop Holmes and stop Millington. Bragg , QB< played solid again with good decisions except for th pick in the Red zone which cost Millington points.

If Ridgeway had played all the games the way they performed friday they would only have one loss.

Good luck the rest of the year roadrunners.

It's week 7 this week and these are the big games in Memphis in my opinion:

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Houston (8-5A): Thursday, Oct 9 @ Whitehaven

Pick: Whitehaven

Millington (7-5A) vs Ridgeway (7-5A):@ Millington

Pick: Millington

Germantown (8-5A) vs Kirby (8-5A): @ Germantown

Pick: Germantown

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs Mitchell (8-3A): @ CBHS

Pick: Mitchell

That's it for me on the big games. If you have something to add, feel free to jump right in.

Whitehaven wins 19-6 ... 1 for me and three more to go. (very physical ballgame)

Millington wins 28-19 ... 2 for me

Germantown wins 21-16 3 for me

Mitchell wins 35-34 ... 4 for me

All in all, four out of four isn't bad ... even if I say so myself. That Mitchell/CBHS game was worth watching I see. I told you all ... Mitchell is loaded on offense. LOADED!

kwc or TraderB,

I know this is a bit random, but I was looking at 8-4A and noticed that East struggled with Raleigh-Egypt pretty badly a few weeks ago. Is 8-4A just that unpredictable, or is East starting to show some weaknesses?

I think East played down to their competition. East has already proven that they can play with the best. That's just my opinion based on their record ... There could be another reason why they barely beat RE ... but I wouldn't know what that reason would be.

kwc or TraderB,

I know this is a bit random, but I was looking at 8-4A and noticed that East struggled with Raleigh-Egypt pretty badly a few weeks ago. Is 8-4A just that unpredictable, or is East starting to show some weaknesses?

8-4A is not that unpredictable... East's struggles with RE, I strongly suspect (I did not see the game), was the result of a "non-solid" (for lack of a better word) defensive effort by East.

-----------------------------------------------------------

While I have not seen East play a real game, I caught a glimpse of them during the Mphs Jamboree way back in August. Overall, they looked like a much improved team. Their defense, however, appeared a bit suspect. I withheld judgement because I did not see the entire game. Also, it was still just a "pre-season" game.

At this point, in looking over East's schedule and results, I'm more inclined to think that my initial impression of East was not too far off base.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Predicted 8-4A Finish:

1) Melrose

2) East -- they will defeat Kingsbury, this Friday. They will LOSE to Melrose on Oct 31st.

3) Fairley -- they will NOT defeat Melrose, this Friday (even though the game is AT Fairley).

4) Kingsbury

KWC-You are correct we are loaded on offense, but will that be enough. In the playoffs our defense must improve our we will be at home early. I talked to coach Johnson(DC) and he is now having players go both ways to improve the defense.

Mitchell's defense played (surprisingly) very well during the 1st-half vs CBHS, where they gave up only 1 TD. Then, inexplicably, just fell apart during the 2nd-half, giving up 4 TD's and a ton of yardage.

CBHS made some good half-time adjustments, defensively, but didn't appear to do anything special offensively. They simply came out and ran the ball right at Mitchell, but passed less. Mitchell did not counter, successfully.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

1) Did Mitchell use players both ways, during the game vs CBHS?

2) Could fatigue have been a factor for Mitchell, during the 2nd-half, perhaps?

-- Mitchell's run-defense just appeared to get pushed around, during the 2nd-half. Whereas, they held their ground during the 1st-half.

8-4A is not that unpredictable... East's struggles with RE, I strongly suspect (I did not see the game), was the result of a "non-solid" (for lack of a better word) defensive effort by East.

-----------------------------------------------------------

While I have not seen East play a real game, I caught a glimpse of them during the Mphs Jamboree way back in August. Overall, they looked like a much improved team. Their defense, however, appeared a bit suspect. I withheld judgement because I did not see the entire game. Also, it was still just a "pre-season" game.

At this point, in looking over East's schedule and results, I'm more inclined to think that my initial impression of East was not too far off base.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Predicted 8-4A Finish:

1) Melrose

2) East -- they will defeat Kingsbury, this Friday. They will LOSE to Melrose on Oct 31st.

3) Fairley -- they will NOT defeat Melrose, this Friday (even though the game is AT Fairley).

4) Kingsbury

I appreciate your insight, along with kwc's. It's my understanding that Kingsbury should have Hunter back by the playoffs. If so, then that may be one of the strongest 4 playoff teams out of one region in the state.