Week 7 big games in Memphis

kwc

It's week 7 this week and these are the big games in Memphis in my opinion:

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Houston (8-5A): Thursday, Oct 9 @ Whitehaven

Whitehaven is currently the number two team in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen with a 6-0 record over some pretty stiff competition. They have already beat two different Dandy Dozen teams this year in #6 Melrose and #12 Fairley. They face current Dandy Dozen #5 Houston next. (These positions will change when they re-shuffle the Dandy Dozen this week) Whitehaven recently pummeled lowly Hamilton 53-0, where they took the starters out by early to middle of the 3rd quarter. They were beating them 47-0 by half. Houston, who was previously unbeaten, lost last week to Collierville by a score of 24-0. Before the Collierville loss, Houston's opponents were a combined 3-21 for the year. Now they are 6-24 because Collierville is 3-3 with one of it's losses being a 23-10 loss to Whitehaven. Add to this ... the week is a short week because the game is played on Thursday. Throw in also that the game is played at Whitehaven, which means that the Houston side will not have many supporters. There will probably be more band parents in the stands on Houston's side then anything else ... that is IF the band comes to the game ... If not ... it will really be bleak on Houston's side of the field. The Houston players will be reeling after the beat-down they took from Collierville ... they will definately be shell shocked comming into Whitehaven ... especially after they look into the visting stands as see tumblweeds blowing by. Not to mention ... the Whitehaven 'D' is going to want a doughnut on the scoreboard, especially since Collierville put one on Houston.

Pick: Whitehaven

Millington (7-5A) vs Ridgeway (7-5A):@ Millington

Millington, the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen #3 team recently put the beat down on region doormat Bartlett 42-14. They have the area's leading TD scorer in Tausean Holmes. In the Bartlett game alone he scored 5 TD's. He carried the ball 9 times for 152 yards. He scored 4 TD's by running the ball (9, 9, 31, & 25 yards respectively) and one by catching the ball (32 yards). The week before last, he returned a punt for a TD as well as score in other ways. Ridgeway is 5-2 on the year comming off of a 24-0 shellacking by the hands of Cordova ... who put 216 rushing yards against the Ridgeway 'D'. I think it will be too much Tausean Holmes for Ridgeway to handle. Not to mention ... The Millington 'D' is ferocious!

Pick: Millington

Germantown (8-5A) vs Kirby (8-5A): @ Germantown

Germantown, 5-1, is currently the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen #10 team. Their only loss has come against region foe White Station, 26-9. Kirby, who recently fell from the ranks of the undefeated, lost to White Station as well this past week by a score of 42-6. Both teams only have one region loss and it is to the same team. Last week, Germantown beat perrinial 8-5A doormat, Wooddale 27-12. The game is being played at Germantown. Last week, the head coach for Kirby benched 5 starters for breaking team rules. Kirby's opponents aren't very strong. Germantown has beat Collierville and Kingsbury amoung some creampuffs. Although Kirby has gone from doormat to being respectable ... I don't think they are there yet.

Pick: Germantown

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs Mitchell (8-3A): @ CBHS

Last year, Mitchell beat CBHS and Melrose and shocked the Memphis football community. Mitchell played the same aggressive schedule and they have not fared as well as they did last year. They started out the season 0-4 playing teams like 5A Whitehaven, and 4A Melrose and Fairley, plus a large school team out of Alabama. They won their next two region games each at a score of 49-6 and 46-6. CBHS is NOT a region foe. It seems that Mitchell could score on those teams with the exception of Whitehaven, but their 'D' couldn't stop them. I expect the same in this game. They will have to outscore CBHS. CBHS has two region losses to Briarcrest and MUS. They have a good solid team that has a respectable 'D'. CBHS has not seen the twins that transferred from Melrose ... boy, are they in for a surprise. It seems Mitchell has incorporated them more into the offense. One is a WR, the other a RB and they are lightning in a bottle. Mitchell is loaded offensively. This is my upset pick. This will be a shoot out.

Pick: Mitchell

That's it for me on the big games. If you have something to add, feel free to jump right in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitehaven is currently the number two team in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen with a 6-0 record over some pretty stiff competition. They have already beat two different Dandy Dozen teams this year in #6 Melrose and #12 Fairley. They face current Dandy Dozen #5 Houston next. (These positions will change when they re-shuffle the Dandy Dozen this week) Whitehaven recently pummeled lowly Hamilton 53-0, where they took the starters out by early to middle of the 3rd quarter. They were beating them 47-0 by half. Houston, who was previously unbeaten, lost last week to Collierville by a score of 24-0. Before the Collierville loss, Houston's opponents were a combined 3-21 for the year. Now they are 6-24 because Collierville is 3-3 with one of it's losses being a 23-10 loss to Whitehaven. Add to this ... the week is a short week because the game is played on Thursday. Throw in also that the game is played at Whitehaven, which means that the Houston side will not have many supporters. There will probably be more band parents in the stands on Houston's side then anything else ... that is IF the band comes to the game ... If not ... it will really be bleak on Houston's side of the field. The Houston players will be reeling after the beat-down they took from Collierville ... they will definately be shell shocked comming into Whitehaven ... especially after they look into the visting stands as see tumblweeds blowing by. Not to mention ... the Whitehaven 'D' is going to want a doughnut on the scoreboard, especially since Collierville put one on Houston.

Millington, the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen #3 team recently put the beat down on region doormat Bartlett 42-14. They have the area's leading TD scorer in Tausean Holmes. In the Bartlett game alone he scored 5 TD's. He carried the ball 9 times for 152 yards. He scored 4 TD's by running the ball (9, 9, 31, & 25 yards respectively) and one by catching the ball (32 yards). The week before last, he returned a punt for a TD as well as score in other ways. Ridgeway is 5-2 on the year comming off of a 24-0 shellacking by the hands of Cordova ... who put 216 rushing yards against the Ridgeway 'D'. I think it will be too much Tausean Holmes for Ridgeway to handle. Not to mention ... The Millington 'D' is ferocious!

Germantown, 5-1, is currently the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen #10 team. Their only loss has come against region foe White Station, 26-9. Kirby, who recently fell from the ranks of the undefeated, lost to White Station as well this past week by a score of 42-6. Both teams only have one region loss and it is to the same team. Last week, Germantown beat perrinial 8-5A doormat, Wooddale 27-12. The game is being played at Germantown. Last week, the head coach for Kirby benched 5 starters for breaking team rules. Kirby's opponents aren't very strong. Germantown has beat Collierville and Kingsbury amoung some creampuffs. Although Kirby has gone from doormat to being respectable ... I don't think they are there yet.

Last year, Mitchell beat CBHS and Melrose and shocked the Memphis football community. Mitchell played the same aggressive schedule and they have not fared as well as they did last year. They started out the season 0-4 playing teams like 5A Whitehaven, and 4A Melrose and Fairley, plus a large school team out of Alabama. They won their next two region games each at a score of 49-6 and 46-6. CBHS is NOT a region foe. It seems that Mitchell could score on those teams with the exception of Whitehaven, but their 'D' couldn't stop them. I expect the same in this game. They will have to outscore CBHS. CBHS has two region losses to Briarcrest and MUS. They have a good solid team that has a respectable 'D'. CBHS has not seen the twins that transferred from Melrose ... boy, are they in for a surprise. It seems Mitchell has incorporated them more into the offense. One is a WR, the other a RB and they are lightning in a bottle. Mitchell is loaded offensively. This is my upset pick. This will be a shoot out.

That's it for me on the big games. If you have something to add, feel free to jump right in.

I agree with all, except this one game:

CBHS 35 -- Mitchell 20

------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell is clearly about 2 notches below last year's team. They will be overmatched vs CBHS, and will come out on the losing end of yet another game vs stronger competition.....I suspect that this game will be the most entertaining of the four, however.

The rest of these games will be blowouts, as well:

1) Whitehaven by 18 over Houston

2) Millington by 28 over Ridgeway (shutout likely)

3) Germantown by 17 over Kirby

I agree with all, except this one game:

CBHS 35 -- Mitchell 20

------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell is clearly about 2 notches below last year's team. They will be overmatched vs CBHS, and will come out on the losing end of yet another game vs stronger competition.....I suspect that this game will be the most entertaining of the four, however.

The rest of these games will be blowouts, as well:

1) Whitehaven by 18 over Houston

2) Millington by 28 over Ridgeway (shutout likely)

3) Germantown by 17 over Kirby

That's my UPSET pick. Conventional wisdom says CBHS. I just have a feeling in my gut.

Hmmmmm.....unwanted circumstances have me down here this week. I may catch that Mitchell/CBHS game if I am able.

I agree with you totally, collierville might be the 2nd best in region 8. This is a big game for millington and is cordova for real?

I agree with you totally, collierville might be the 2nd best in region 8. This is a big game for millington and is cordova for real?

I don't know if I agree with that statment about Collierville. They have already loss to Germantown, who only has one loss on the year, and that came by the hands of White Station. Even though Whitehaven beat White Station 17-0, that was a close game. I don't know who the 2nd best team actually is at this present time; there are just too many games left to be played. The way things are shaking up, who knows?

Not a bad game to catch. Wonderful stadium. Nice crowd. Hopefully ... an offensive game.

Agreed...

The parking STINKS though, unless you can get there very early. Otherwise, be prepared to park 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the street. There are no sidewalks, oddly enough, or sufficient lighting (if any at all). There is only a somewhat narrow side street leading to the stadium. Be prepared to walk in the grass, or walk in the street then duck & dodge the passing cars.

Cordova is a FRAUD.

Unfortunately the rest of the season will not provide much of a test for Cordova until week 10. They could roll through with a great season only to lose their last two games (wk10 & 1st rnd playoff). I don't think any 7-5A team will advance past the first round other than Millington.

CBHS VS. Mitchell - CBHS is not very good and if mitchell has any defense they can play with them an i would expect it to be close if Mitchell can score a few points.

Houston must be like everyone else with a good record and weak schedule. I was a little suprised by the Collierville beat down. I have seen Houston and still no speed and only a good QB.

Whitehaven

Millington

Germantown

Mitchell (upset)

Right on with you picks i agree 100%

Just when you want to believe Ridgeway might be for real they put up another performance like the CBHS game. If they could not score on Cordova i see them having a hard time scoring on Millington. I did not see any big stats from the Ridgeway/Cordova game and i did see a punt return so looks like there was not a huge display of offense in that game. Better bring some offense when playing Millington.

Houston is not a real good team but coach Haney and his staff will have a good plan to compete against Whaven but i dont think that will be enough. Whaven has to much speed for Houston to win but i bet this game is closer than most predict.

Gtown exposes Kirby again, players back will probably not matter for kirby. Good old Fashion smash mounth football beats Kirby this week. Kirby has a chance if Gtown has problems with turnovers. they have put the ball on the ground this year so anything is possible.