Week 7 big games in Memphis

kwc

I appreciate your insight, along with kwc's. It's my understanding that Kingsbury should have Hunter back by the playoffs. If so, then that may be one of the strongest 4 playoff teams out of one region in the state.

RedSwarm,

I think that Hunter has ALREADY returned!

------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong--but, didn't Kingsbury's RB Gabriel Hunter return 2 weeks ago vs Germantown?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RedSwarm,

I think that Hunter has ALREADY returned!

------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong--but, didn't Kingsbury's RB Gabriel Hunter return 2 weeks ago vs Germantown?

If so, then i'm way out of the loop. Up here in Henry County there's not much else besides HC Football, so i have to resort to what others tell me on threads like these to get knowledge about Memphis Football. The last thing I had heard was that Coach Nutt was not wanting him to play.

If so, then i'm way out of the loop. Up here in Henry County there's not much else besides HC Football, so i have to resort to what others tell me on threads like these to get knowledge about Memphis Football. The last thing I had heard was that Coach Nutt was not wanting him to play.

RedSwarm,

I just checked the Commercial Appeal newspaper archives...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes--Gabriel Hunter DID return on Sept. 26 vs. Germantown. Here's their summary:

"(11) Germantown 35, Kingsbury 7: Kingsbury's Gabriel Hunter (28 carries, 150 yards rushing) returned for the Falcons, but Germantown's rushing attack was too much for Kingsbury. Sir Gregory Thornton (120 yards) led the Red Devils rushing attack that tallied 300 yards."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you're a Henry County fan, I'll cut to the chase for you:

1) The ONLY Memphis team that HC has to worry about is Melrose!

Melrose is about 2 notches better, overall, than last year. Melrose's defense is a notch below last year, however. They still have no kicking game.

Forget about Melrose's 2-losses. They are literally only two (short), executed offensive plays away from being undefeated! Plus, their 2 losses came to the top two teams in Memphis (MUS and Whitehaven). Those 2 teams are undefeated.

2) Kingsbury is about 2 notches below last year (with or without Hunter) and will likely finish 4th in Region 8-4A. They are no threat to HC.

3) The 2nd & 3rd best teams are East & Fairley. Neither has the defense enough to compete with Henry County, IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final note: Melrose still has to play Fairley and East. I think they'll win both of those games.

Again, much appreciated.

Melrose truely does worry me, as a miracle saved us that game. I don't know much about East, but I'll take your word. Kingsbury just seems one-demensional - and HC is VERY good against the run. I will probably always worry about Fairley due to the last 2 years - and I KNOW they're sick of seeing their season end at Patriot Stadium. It's happened for the last THREE years.

I have heard about Toney's (sp?) improved play. He was a great young quarterback the last 2 years, and it seems like he's starting to put the pieces together. Is he attracting any D1 colleges by any chance?

Again, much appreciated.

Melrose truely does worry me, as a miracle saved us that game. I don't know much about East, but I'll take your word. Kingsbury just seems one-demensional - and HC is VERY good against the run. I will probably always worry about Fairley due to the last 2 years - and I KNOW they're sick of seeing their season end at Patriot Stadium. It's happened for the last THREE years.

I have heard about Toney's (sp?) improved play. He was a great young quarterback the last 2 years, and it seems like he's starting to put the pieces together. Is he attracting any D1 colleges by any chance?

You know, I really haven't heard much about Toney's Collegiate suitors. That's not to say that no D1 schools are interested; I just have not head anything mentioned about it in the local media.

My gut tells me that Toney has caught the eye of a number of D1 schools.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Fairley, should HC meet up with them again....HC's secondary will get tested. Fairley has a decent running game, but loves to throw the ball around. Quick-Strike offense. I suspect that game would likely be high-scoring!

Melrose....Well, Melrose passes the ball about 70% of the time, if not more!! Thus, HC's secondary would likely be under duress the majority of the night. Melrose's running game gets lost in the shuffle. It's almost as if it's non-existent. Either way, their running game sure ain't spectacular. It is best described as "opportunistic."

So, as you can see RedSwarm, whether HC's opponent is Fairley or Melrose, NEITHER of those teams' offense is based around running the ball. Both are pass-happy teams -- Melrose, much, much, moreso! Therefore, HC's pass-rush & secondary will be challenged moreso than its run-defense.

I'll weigh in on Memphis East, after I see them vs Melrose, in 2 weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1) How tested is Henry County's Secondary -- How good are they?

2) Has HC faced any predominant passing teams? Who?

3) How is HC's pass-rush?

Henry County's secondary SEEMS to be good. They run a 3-4 defense. Their pass rush is very good - They have a steady rotation of defensive lineman that stay fresh - and usually blitz a LB on the weak side. They have an absolute anchor in the middle who is around 320 that fills up both gaps, with 2 other quick and physical lineman who are both in the 260 range. They also have 2 speed rushers that can get to the quarterback in a hurry - and they mix in zone blitzes very well. I'd say that their pass rush is good to sometimes great.

In the secondary, they have a VERY good safety - Shonte Sims. He plays very well over the top, and has great instincts (he was the one who stripped Toney of the ball and ran it back last year). He is also a hard hitter - broke a kid's sternum and cracked some ribs ALONG with a concussion against Martin WV. He had a 2 interception game last week against Brighton. They also have a sophmore cornerback who's had a few picks this year who's got great instincts. Keep in mind that Henry County will use Marsalis Teague in the secondary when needed - they used him in a nickle package last week. They'll try to confuse offenses with zone blitzes, and keep a safety over the top patrolling the deep ball. They DO have a tendency to give up a deep ball every once in a while.

Henry County has only faced one passing-heavy team, which was Brighton. Keep in mind, though, that Brighton was without starting QB Kale Jackson, and used a sophmore backup as his replacement. The sophmore was 7 for 16 with 38 yards passing and two ints, no td's. Liberty tried to pass, but the QB was sacked time after time. Although not truely tested yet, HC has looked strong against the pass.

I don't believe that Henry County's secondary will be tested until Hardin County comes to town with U of Memphis commit Will Gilchrist.

Nonetheless, HC's defense has been very strong. No points have been scored on the defense in the first half, and only 7 have been scored on the first defense this year. These 7 were scored on a penalty-aided drive in the 3rd quarter against Liberty. Although the competition hasn't exactly been stiff, 0 first half points through 7 games is a great achievement. HC's defense will definitely bend at some times, but rarely EVER breaks. They capitalize of turnovers like no other.

With that said, I'm aware of the game changers that Fairley and Melrose have. The most obvious one to me is #13 for Melrose. It's my understanding that he's a senior. That young man has some of the best wheels I've ever seen. What will be interesting to me is to see how much time Melrose and/or Fairley would be able to give their quarterbacks to do their thing.

Hello all:

I've been on a self-imposed sports fast ... well ... it was family imposed really. Everybody had to give up something thay loved for a day and mine was sports. No sports radio ... no sports page ... no Coacht ... no sports on TV. Man ... yesterday was TOUGH! Man ... i'm glad that's over ... anyway ... a lot has gone on since I have been away.

Let's see ... TraderB and Redswarm ... I have a few comments that I'd like to add. The Melrose running game HAS improved. The RB for Melrose is how they scored on Whitehaven. He averages over 100 ypg. He has gotten better. He uses his blocks better and his field vision is a whole lot better. He is making plays this year and his teamates and coaches have confidence in him. Melrose is NOT one dimensional on offense. Their QB is first rate and I think he is the best in Memphis in the pocket. He is a true pocket passser and he has 3 recievers that he gets the ball to on a regular basis. The best receiver being the TE, #6 Darrell Washington a 6', 220 lb catching machine. He is a coverage headache. He's the third leading receiver in the city with 28 catches for 585 yards on the season. The WR, Mike Porter, #18, is right behind him with 26 cathes for 570 yards. Tramarcus Toney is the leading QB in the City throwing for over 1500 yards to date. I could go on but I will just give a link to their stats and let you come to your own conclusions. (oops ... unapproved website ... oh well, I'll try the ole' cut and past method) ... OK, that won't work either. If you are interested ... follow this link

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/sports/preps/

when you get there click on "Varsity football" which is under the 'M a x P r e p s' heading ... it will take you to a stat page ... Tramarcus Toney is leading the City in the passing yardage category ... click on his team's name ... "Melrose" ... it will take you to a schedlue page ... then click on "Team Stats" and it will show you the team stats.

Now ... throw into the mix Eric Watson. Its not too late in the season to work him in and get him ready for post season play. Eric is just a sophmore ... so he can come in, learn the offense and help them in the post season while preparing himself for next season.

I agree with Trader about how 8-4A ends. I think it will be in that order only because East has already beat Fairley 30-28 earlier this season. Gabriel Hunter is back for Kingsbury, but the team as a whole isn't overwhelming. They will be the 4th seed and probably face HC in the first round. The remaining 3 teams from 8-4A are very good with Melrose being the best in my humble opinion.