QUARTERFINALS

patriot04

Ok folk its time for the quarterfinals. The second didn't do that great so everybody come on and vote. There is a team that shouldn't be here.

Left side

1.MBA vs 3.Oakland

MBA comin off first loss.

1.Franklin vs 2.MUS

Franklin should not be here cuz they lost to brentwood.

Right side

1.Maryville vs 2.Henry co

Could be this years championship game.

1.Farragut vs 3.Hillsboro

This would be a very good game.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folk its time for the quarterfinals. The second didn't do that great so everybody come on and vote. There is a team that shouldn't be here.

Left side

1.MBA vs 3.Oakland

1.Franklin vs 2.MUS

Right side

MBA

MUS

Maryville

Farragut

MBA over Oakland (this one should be tight as most of this round's games would likely be. It would come down to turnovers in this one)

MUS over Franklin (I don't totally think Franklin shouldn't be here because they lost to Brentwood during the regular season. Franklin beat Hillsboro and they are here, but I digress. I think MUS might be a defense that can limit Franklin's high powered offense, but I'm not sure how good MUS's offense is either.)

Maryville over Henry Co. (I have been told that Henry County has tremendous talent and while that means this game would likely be very close, I can't pick against George Quarles and his staff because I have seen him beat more talented teams more times than I want to remember.)

Hillsboro over Farragut (Like the Alcoa matchup, I know HHS has better talent at the skill positions and would likely give Farragut's defense fits with high-octane offense. Also, I think HHS could at least hold their own on the lines which would truly be the determining factor in this one I believe. Very tight, coming down to final few plays, much like HHS-MBA earlier this season.)

Left side

1.MBA vs 3.Oakland

1.Franklin vs 2.MUS

Right side

MBA 14-6

MUS 28-17

Henry Co. 35-24

Hillsboro 14-13

Left side

1.MBA vs 3.Oakland

1.Franklin vs 2.MUS

Right side

Oakland over MBA, I'm not sold on private schools always being better.

MUS over Franklin, though I will say that MUS's 42-0 win over a good Cookeville team opened my eyes.

Maryville over Henry Co., picking against the Rebels has never been smart.

Farragut over Hillsboro, the Admirals offense is too efficient for the Burros.

For the Memphis poster who questions Farragut's schedule, just a correction, McMinn Co. is a 5A-R2 school, McMinn Central is a 3A-R3 school, both are in the same county however. I do also have an analogy for you. If the SEC of college football produces national champions, why hasn't the SEC of high school football produced a state champion in many years? I ask that as a serious question, I ask you respect that.

Oakland over MBA, I'm not sold on private schools always being better.

It's all about matchups in the here and now, and past performance is certainly not an indicator of future events.

With that said, private schools aren't always better - no set of schools is always going to be better than another set - but go look at the records of the original Super 7 schools in DII-AA versus Division I since the split in 1997. The DII-AA schools are winning at about a 75% clip (and the top programs are winning well over that clip). Just to use MBA as an example, MBA is 24-1 (.960) versus DI publics in that stretch from 1997-present.

So, yes, private schools aren't always better, but in the case of the large DII privates, they win an overwhelming majority of their games versus DI opponents (and that includes many DI champions over the years). For every Alcoa over McCallie, there are about four or five Brentwood Academy over Smyrna-like games.

Of course, that doesn't mean anything in this fantasy bracket, but the DII schools will hang their hats on their actual on-the-field wins and let others fight it out on paper.

Interesting picks here as well: Henry County over Maryville, but Farragut over Hillsboro.

Just a gut feeling with these picks? Reminds me of last round when someone picked Oakland over BA, Ensworth over Maryville, but then Alcoa over Hillsboro.

Us from henry county are a lil biased but we do think we have the team to do it this year. On another thread me and you was discussing where the games would play if we meet up. If the number 1 seed wins out from the memphis region and henry county wins out we will be goin to memphis for round 3 and then if we win that game we will be on the road to nashville for the semis. So yall would have homefield advantage if we both make it that far.

Us from henry county are a lil biased but we do think we have the team to do it this year. On another thread me and you was discussing where the games would play if we meet up. If the number 1 seed wins out from the memphis region and henry county wins out we will be goin to memphis for round 3 and then if we win that game we will be on the road to nashville for the semis. So yall would have homefield advantage if we both make it that far.

Thank goodness that game would be playing at John Koen Stadium if that is indeed the matchup. We could use the extra edge and getting to avoid a two hour (sometimes 3 hours when Melrose or East are representing) is always a bonus.

I just think it is interesting for a pick for Henry County over Maryville and then Farragut over Hillsboro. They appear to me to be similar matchups types just based on what I have heard about Henry County and Farragut this year.