Class 2A AP Poll

I remember as well. Gary Meadows ran for about 2fiddy on a rainy soggy nasty field with that stoopid "eye of the tiger" blaring on some ghetto boombox system set up in the end zone. Probably one of the most talented teams to not win a gold ball. Ranked #1 for the entire season led by Al Davis Jr., Nathan McCollum and a stable of backs. One of the worst losses in Alcoa history.

Copeland, however, did not beat Alcoa until his Senior year, 1994 when Alcoa was 5-5. Harriman went to the championship game in both football and basketball.

Did You Know_____ Chad Pennington never beat Alcoa??

I thought Al Davis was a senior on the 93 team? Alcoa lost to Miegs County at Miegs County in 93. Sweetwater won 2A that year. That was the same Sweetwater team Alcoa drilled in the regular season.

95 semifinals is when Miegs went to Alcoa a killed them. Miegs ran for 600 yards that game.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Vic DuRall, Paul's color guy, does the AP voting for WCMT. Vic is a great sportscaster and really keeps up with high school sports in the area. During basketball season, from time to time, he posts his votes here on the site.

I was thinking that he or the Union City Daily Messenger probably voted for Milan.

I'm not sure how a first place vote could go to anyone but Alcoa, but I do respect their opinion.

NW, thank you very kindly for the compliment. I try and take my job seriously and I do vote for WCMT. I have voted Milan and Henry County #2 in their respective polls throughout the year. I would love to see gold balls coming West this year in AA & AAAA but until it happens, Alcoa & Maryville are #1 with me. I believe in supporting my local teams but also in being realistic. I also had nothing to do with Stewart County cracking the Top 10.

I also remember Lipscomb killing Alcoa 55-6 in the 2003 semifinals.

It was also just 15 short years ago that Cleveland hung 70 on Maryville. It was 12 short years ago after Maryville had a 5-5 record I was watching other teams in the playoffs. I remember telling my nephew after Pearl Cohn beat Halls in the 1996 4A Title game that Maryville will never win another championship. I was wrong and glad to be wrong.

The funny thing about Maryville and Alcoa is they always seem to be good at the same time. In the 70s they both won a lot of state titles. Alcoa won 1 title in the 80s and Maryville won 1 title in the 90s. This decade they both have kicked butt.

Maryville and Alcoa had a lot of lean years. Maryville was bad in the late 80s and early 90s. Alcoa struggled from 1994-1999. I remember watching Miegs County score nearly 70 points on Alcoa in the 1995 semifinals. Harriman used to wear Alcoa out. Especially when Jermaine Copeland was at Harriman.

In those days I didn't hear people say Maryville should move up to 5A. I didn't hear people say that Maryville is recruiting. Back in those days Cleveland was accused of every dirty trick. I heard people say Cleveland players were on steroids and got kids from Chattanooga

Amazing how many shots your team takes when your team is winning.

Great post , thank you , thats the point i was trying to make , but you put it across the tabel much better than did.

Its ok , in 3 years when Alcoa goes 1-9 and Heritage is winning their 2nd state championship then we will all hear about that "moutain water" they got up their givin their players and makin em faster and stronger :]

Hickman Co. would destroy Stewart Co. and they arent in the top ten lol. Like you guys said it will all work out in the end.

i agree here...stewart co being ranked 10th is the result of some pre-season hype and an extremley easy non-region

schedule...waverly beat them, camden and huntington will do the same...like yall said...itll all work its self out in the end.

Disagreements are to happen from time to time. If we agree on everything then they'd call us "Pete & Repeat"..........LOL

Alcoa is so far ahead of anyone in 2A that it's comical. They already have got their school's name engraved into the trophy.

Maryville is awesome. In 4A though the teams are bigger, stronger, and more athletic. Hillsboro, Maplewood, and Henry Co. are all very good football teams. They could beat anyone in 2A by a huge margain (Alcoa being the lone exception). Alcoa and Maryville is a toss up kind of game. Alcoa and these three teams is also a tossup kind of game. 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, & 1998 HAVE NO BEARING ON 2008 ONCE PLAYOFF TIME COMES!!!!

Alcoa will crush everyone in 2A on their way to a state title. Tyner, Boyd, GP, CAK, Milan, Goodpasture, etc. all have no shot at them.

Maryville will have a much tougher fight on their way. Morristown East is very good. In the title game 1 of the 3 between Hillsboro, Maplewood, & Henry Co. will present a big test.

Maryville is GREAT!!! I am just stating that their road to a state title is much more challenging to them than Alcoa's road will be for them.

HOW COULD YOU NOT AGREE WITH THAT??????????

well i canda can now that u said that ,

After USJ beat down Martin Westview last night they deserve some more attention. One loss to milan by a TD and a 4 TD win over Westveiw. Maybe they're the team that will give Milan some pressure in the playoffs and not a Nashville team?

Good Point - I would be one heck of a rematch /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good Point - I would be one heck of a rematch /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I also think with the way camden is playing right now that they would play Milan alot closer.......they also whipped up on Westview and almost shut out Huntingdon, and last night went mercy rule in the second quarter against Houston County ( I know they are really weak but the second quarter???) anyway I think it would be a much better game the way the lions are playing.......