Region 4-5A Snapshot

TDCman

I'd be interested in hearing how others think the region shakes out. Somehow I see some tie-breakers being used to determine the #3 and/or #4 playoff spots.

Here's how I see the scenario playing out...or at least setting up.

Oakland and Siegel have got the job done and will settle the #1 and #2 seeds among themselves. That is unless one of them completely tanks and loses the next three. I don't see that happening and Oakland has been much more consistent. Oakland should finish 10-0 and take the #1 seed.

This is where it will get really interesting. The #3 and #4 seeds should be settled between WC, Smyrna, and Riverdale (this assumes that WC wins Friday). These three teams should become big Oakland/Siegel fans and hope those two don't let Lebanon, Blackman, or Laverrgne back in the race.

These three teams have all had highs and lows this season and all have one home, one away against the other two. It is easy to make a strong argument for all three to snag one of these last two spots, each has played the top two seeds tough, each controls their own destiny, and all three are capable of making a run.

My best guess:

#3 Riverdale -- improving on both sides of the ball and seem to have found the right combination...next weeks game at WC is key

#4 WC -- they have a great defense and have pretty good balance on offense -- however beating Smyrna, at Smyrna in week 10 will be quite the chore

#5 Smyrna -- They are the only one of the three with a win over a 5A school that has a winning record. They could easily end up as the #3 seed...it's just that close.

Lebanon -- just too many injuries

Blackman -- I really don't get this one other than they seem to have no plan on offense

Lavergne -- back in the thick of it next year

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in hearing how others think the region shakes out. Somehow I see some tie-breakers being used to determine the #3 and/or #4 playoff spots.

Here's how I see the scenario playing out...or at least setting up.

Oakland and Siegel have got the job done and will settle the #1 and #2 seeds among themselves. That is unless one of them completely tanks and loses the next three. I don't see that happening and Oakland has been much more consistent. Oakland should finish 10-0 and take the #1 seed.

This is where it will get really interesting. The #3 and #4 seeds should be settled between WC, Smyrna, and Riverdale (this assumes that WC wins Friday). These three teams should become big Oakland/Siegel fans and hope those two don't let Lebanon, Blackman, or Laverrgne back in the race.

These three teams have all had highs and lows this season and all have one home, one away against the other two. It is easy to make a strong argument for all three to snag one of these last two spots, each has played the top two seeds tough, each controls their own destiny, and all three are capable of making a run.

My best guess:

#3 Riverdale -- improving on both sides of the ball and seem to have found the right combination...next weeks game at WC is key

#4 WC -- they have a great defense and have pretty good balance on offense -- however beating Smyrna, at Smyrna in week 10 will be quite the chore

#5 Smyrna -- They are the only one of the three with a win over a 5A school that has a winning record. They could easily end up as the #3 seed...it's just that close.

Lebanon -- just too many injuries

Blackman -- I really don't get this one other than they seem to have no plan on offense

Lavergne -- back in the thick of it next year

Pretty good recap, TDC. There is such incredible balance in the region this year. You give me these 5 teams and I would feel ngood about my chances against almost any team in the state.

I have seen Riverdale, WC, and Smyrna and IMO WC is the most complete team, but the lack the depth that Smyrna and Riverdale can throw at them. With that said, I think WC and Smyrna make the playoffs, although the games bewteen those teams will be so indcredibly intense and exciting. The atmosphere for those games will be unreal.

You know, the nice thing is that Smyrna plays LaVergne, Riverdale and WC. So they most likely will control their own destiny. I know they need to take care of LaVergne next Friday but looking at the Region records if Smyrna can win 2 of the last 3 games they should get in.

Tough but a win next Friday should give Smyrna a little wiggle room.

A loss puts them in a spot where they would have to beat Riverdale and WC in back to back weeks. This would be a tough task for any team.

You know, the nice thing is that Smyrna plays LaVergne, Riverdale and WC. So they most likely will control their own destiny. I know they need to take care of LaVergne next Friday but looking at the Region records if Smyrna can win 2 of the last 3 games they should get in.

Tough but a win next Friday should give Smyrna a little wiggle room.

A loss puts them in a spot where they would have to beat Riverdale and WC in back to back weeks. This would be a tough task for any team.

If I'm not mistaken, all three play the other two plus Lavergne. Also, WC has the Lebanon game this week that they need to win.

Lavergne is really set up to play the role of spoiler in this thing.

If I'm not mistaken, all three play the other two plus Lavergne. Also, WC has the Lebanon game this week that they need to win.

Lavergne is really set up to play the role of spoiler in this thing.

Riverdale 2-2 with 3 reigon games left

WC

Smyrna

LaVergne

Smyrna 2-2 with 3 reigon games left

LaVergne

Riverdale

WC

WC 1-2 with 4 Region games left

Lebanon

Riverdale

LaVergne

Smyrna

WOW what a big last 4 weeks to see who gets the last 2 spots.

Lebanon still in this thing at 1-2 with 4 region games left.

How good is this? There will be some battles when we get off the bye week. I going to the WC @ Lebanon game as it will be the only Region game this week and have not seen WC yet this year.

If Lost Ole Dad's prediction comes true Riverdale will be left out in the cold.

This is one time I REALLY hope I am wrong and have to eat crow. I wonder if it really does taste like chicken?

Not being the Region champ is bad enough, without the extra slam of not being in the playoffs at all. I really would like to see a re-match with LC and Oakland. Only this time withOUT the fumbles!

This is one time I REALLY hope I am wrong and have to eat crow. I wonder if it really does taste like chicken?

Not being the Region champ is bad enough, without the extra slam of not being in the playoffs at all. I really would like to see a re-match with LC and Oakland. Only this time withOUT the fumbles!

Here is some interesting fact checks

Scoring (offense & defense) All that really counts

OFFENSE

1.) Riverdale (207 - 29.5 ppg) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

2.) Wilson Central (164 - 27.3 ppg) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

3.) siegel ( 173 - 24.7 ppg)

4.) Oakland ( 167 - 23.8 ppg)*

5.) Lebanon ( 121 - 20.1 ppg)

6.) Lavergne (85 - 12.1 ppg)

7.) Blackman (80 - 11.4 ppg)

8.) Smyrna (73 - 10.4 ppg)*

DEFENSE

1.) Oakland - ( 56 - 7 ppg)*

2.) Smyrna - ( 92 - 13.1 ppg)*

3.) Wilson Central - ( 88 - 14.6 ppg)

4.) Blackman - (104 - 14.8 ppg)

5.) Riverdale - (119 - 17 ppg)

6.) siegel - ( 124 - 17.7 ppg)

7.) Lebanon - (127 - 21.1 ppg)

8.) Lavergne - ( 167 - 23.9 ppg)

* includes overtime points (which really skews actual true averages).

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> those dang offenses those teams run sure does hurt their scoring................hmmm! 1st & 2nd -- How do you figure

SPREAD RANK (Offense avg. minus Defense avg.)

1.) Oakland +15.8

2.) Wilson Central +12.7

3.) Riverdale +12.5

4.) siegel +7.0

5.) Lebanon (-1.0)

6.) Smyrna (-2.7)

7.) Blackman (-3.4)

8.) Lavergne (-11.8)

toga-toga

Nice stats and they are telling but as most of you know stats don??™t tell the whole story.

I will say that of the teams fighting for the playoff spots in this region. Riverdale and Smyrna are playing the best football.

They both started out shaky and are not starting to hit their stride. I??™m sure that the teams that are already in are ???puckering??? a little bit, knowing Riverdale and Smyrna could be the team to come in and play them round one.

I??™m not saying the top seeds would come in afraid of them but I??™m sure they??™d rather not face Riverdale or Smyrna in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs. They will both be tough outs if they make it.

Not counting out WC yet but with the resent past to consider here, it will be in the back of their minds.

It sure would make for some exciting match ups and and good "late year football" which could set up a upset or two for the top seeds.

It will be fun to see how it shakes out.

Nice stats and they are telling but as most of you know stats don??™t tell the whole story.

I will say that of the teams fighting for the playoff spots in this region. Riverdale and Smyrna are playing the best football.

They both started out shaky and are not starting to hit their stride. I??™m sure that the teams that are already in are ???puckering??? a little bit, knowing Riverdale and Smyrna could be the team to come in and play them round one.

I??™m not saying the top seeds would come in afraid of them but I??™m sure they??™d rather not face Riverdale or Smyrna in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs. They will both be tough outs if they make it.

Not counting out WC yet but with the resent past to consider here, it will be in the back of their minds.

It sure would make for some exciting match ups and and good "late year football" which could set up a upset or two for the top seeds.

It will be fun to see how it shakes out.

Actually it does tell a pretty good story.....................Smyrna cannot SCORE! They will have to hit a better stride; than a little over a TD / game. Riverdale has come along nicely. If Wilson Central beats Lebanon; they could be in the mix also. A good team will NOT make the play-offs..............last year that team was Lavergne!

toga-toga

Actually it does tell a pretty good story.....................Smyrna cannot SCORE! They will have to hit a better stride; than a little over a TD / game. Riverdale has come along nicely. If Wilson Central beats Lebanon; they could be in the mix also. A good team will NOT make the play-offs..............last year that team was Lavergne!

toga-toga

You also have to consider Smyrna's struggles on offense for the first 3 or 4 games. I saw a pretty good Smyrna offense out there, regardless of the score. With the defense they have, you dont have to score much. I think they need run more of that veer formation with bryson as the qb

You also have to consider Smyrna's struggles on offense for the first 3 or 4 games. I saw a pretty good Smyrna offense out there, regardless of the score. With the defense they have, you dont have to score much. I think they need run more of that veer formation with bryson as the qb

Yes, this is true unless you give up a couple "cheap" scores (fumbles, int. returns, official calls), then the offense can get real important. No doubt that Defense wins and what most good teams hang their hats on, but there will come a time when you got to score MORE than normal! At this point in time, Smyrna cannot score a lot! What was regular score in ya'lls game 7 - 7?