Pay for Parking?

Breakem23

Sounds like you went to watch a game at Notre Dame. Private Schools

All schools under TSSAA rule should be forced to use the same By-Laws.

All teams and or schools should have to follow the same set of By-Laws

but that is not the way it is. Private schools can charge to park but

public can not all they can do is ask. But yet public and private are is the same region so

we are forced to pay. Fairness you say, but such is life, all we can do is deal with it.

Another private school myth from another uninformed poster is shot down. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We payed to park at Loudon this year, public school. We, CAK, private school, have never charged to park or asked for donations to park. I actually think at Loudon it was some girls sport team that was collecting donations. I'd rather have my daughter collecting "donations" to park at a school sporting event, than have her going door to door selling cookie dough and such. As long as parking revenues are going to the school groups I don't mind.

Sorry to change subject, but we've had a few school charge admission to JV games also. These are games which have the Coaching staffs are on the field and usually a continious clock running. Often they don't even offer concessions. I know Community, Huntland, and MTCS have charged us over the past three years and their may of been others. We've never charged for a JV game. Is that the norm for most schools?

At many schools in Knoxville there is an admission charge. Schools host 2 games, a Freshman game and a JV game. The admission is usually $3 for adults and I believe students are free, not sure though. Similar clock rules to the high school varsity game. The money typically goes to the touchdown club as do the concessions. For some schools this is about the only way to get any support from their largest base, the parents and family. Ask just about any schools booster club president and he/she will tell you that the same 10% of parents show up to do everything, from clean up, to concession duty, fund raising etc...and the other 90% just show up for games and to complain about the coaching. People who believe the football fees they pay at the beginning of the year actually covers the cost of running a football program certainly must be unaware of what it costs to operate a football program. Many schools only allocate a small percentage of the varsity game gate receipts back to the football program, opting to give portions to other sports groups and the band. Until everyone is willing to jump in and do their part I say have an admisson charge every time you host a game. You can always allow for hardship cases, you don't want money to be a reason mom or dad wouldn't come and watch.

Sorry to change subject, but we've had a few school charge admission to JV games also. These are games which have the Coaching staffs are on the field and usually a continious clock running. Often they don't even offer concessions. I know Community, Huntland, and MTCS have charged us over the past three years and their may of been others. We've never charged for a JV game. Is that the norm for most schools?

We in Mt. Pleasant charge for JV games. I have been told the fee covers the cost of officials for the games. I have paid at other places too. I have noticed that when we don't pay--the officiating usually done by volunteers--not striped shirts. I'd prefer not to pay--but I guess everyone has their hand in the purse.

according to the soddy football website it costs aprox. $1000 per player to put a team on the field. i know that soddy parking fees went to the JROTC program to pay for uniforms, buses for competitions, ect. those expensive signs around the score board pay for the TSSAA fees a team must pay and for the standard field costs (lights, watering, seed, gas to mow, paint). jerseys are about $35-$50 each. $300-$500 per bus. each season you have to pay for the helmets to get recertified [sp], painted and the decals. food if the team does that. practice field upkeep.

but one question. does the cost of the coaches come out of a football budget? and if so is there a limit to what a coach can be paid at a public school?

Ask just about any schools booster club president and he/she will tell you that the same 10% of parents show up to do everything, from clean up, to concession duty, fund raising etc...and the other 90% just show up for games and to complain about the coaching.

That sure sounds familiar. Haven't seen this at Cosby but so true at the school down the road. No charge for parking at Cosby but I think the different clubs rotate at the concession stand.

That sure sounds familiar. Haven't seen this at Cosby but so true at the school down the road. No charge for parking at Cosby but I think the different clubs rotate at the concession stand.

I think TSSAA rules is that you cannot force someone to pay to park bec it is a public event... question is where is the money going because TSSAA does get a share of the gate money for all athletic events... so again.. who is getting the money for parking... think about it.... this is a public event whether it is football, basketball, baseball or volleyball.... you cant charge someone for just parking and then have to pay a 5 dollar fee to get into the game... that is a major violation and a ripoff..... someone needs to contact TSSAA about this and get a clear understanding of the policies.... I went to a game at Columbia Central and was told I had to pay 2 bucks to park and I responded with is it mandatory or voluntarily and the guy said " you do not have to pay if you do not want to" but all the while there were signs that said "2.00 to park".... again... RIPOFF....

sounds like no one knows the answer to the original question.

Howard charges to park at some basketball games. I have never seen this anywhere else.

I remember going to a football game at Howard and was told by a Chattanooga police officer that I could not park in a handicap parking slot even though I had a legal placard. I had to park in a field behind the home side. Oh by the way I paid to park. I asked the cop why he was doing this and told me to shut up or leave.

From what I've seen it appears to be up to the individual schools. Our school has never charged for a JV or Freshman game, but everywhere else they've gone they have. We charged at one home game this year for parking, ($2 going for the baseball team), but that's only because the team we were playing charges parking for every game.

Does anyone have the actual rule on charging for parking from the TSSSA; if there is one?

Not to change the subject, but does the TSSSA have any regualtions regarding charging more for season tickets to get a reserved seat?

according to the soddy football website it costs aprox. $1000 per player to put a team on the field. i know that soddy parking fees went to the JROTC program to pay for uniforms, buses for competitions, ect. those expensive signs around the score board pay for the TSSAA fees a team must pay and for the standard field costs (lights, watering, seed, gas to mow, paint). jerseys are about $35-$50 each. $300-$500 per bus. each season you have to pay for the helmets to get recertified [sp], painted and the decals. food if the team does that. practice field upkeep.

but one question. does the cost of the coaches come out of a football budget? and if so is there a limit to what a coach can be paid at a public school?

Budget? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In our county the school board sets the "supplement" that coaches will be paid.

They only "supplement" the Head Coach, Def Co-ord, and Off Co-ord. I think the amounts are $4000/$2000 annually.

The county provides $0 for athletics. Football generates the majority of the revenue for the Athletics Dept. Then there is a formula where the $$ are shared with the other sports.

Any extra expenses are normally funded by the local school booster clubs.

May be different from county to county.