Milan vs. Trenton Peabody

baddawg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be closer than most are predicting. Quite a few players are going to be out or playing fewer minutes. Trenton will stack the box and if LJ isn't playing yards in the middle could be somewhat hard to come by. Peabody will play harder than they have all year. I hope the dawgs come out and play like they were earlier in the year and put this one away.

Son of a coach, 40 yard sack taker, never throws the ball away, etc., etc.

No matter, put 10 in the box, we are running up the middle all night. Just like we did in '04.

You are a fan of Peabody? Give us your credentials for your suggestions on the changes that you proposed? Do you have kids that play? How would you feel if someone criticized your son on a public message board? Why don't you let the Peabody staff know who you are, maybe they could get your input on other areas?

I would like to adress a couple of things on this thread:first the game at hand Dawgs will win as big as they want to but it will not be by a huge margin because the coaches from Milan will not ententually run the score up as do some of the powerhouses in East Tn .Second: its good to see the Tornado Fans look as to what is being said about us it tells me that there is "some"Concern about a small town in west Tn with a "great" winning tradition.I hope that concern filters thru the entire team in Alcoa. The Buro game is a long way off and not counting our chickens before they hatch : how ever if the dawgs make the trip we WON"T just be there to show off those uniforms We WILL give the Tornadoes All they want! and third:Alcoa is a great team with a Great Past Record and have won back to back but have they ever won back to back in Different Classes?No ,I say not .....The only team in history of the TSSAA to do that is MILAN so if past performances count again ....I, say DAWGS WIN, but the fact is that its this years team,This years oppertunity this years record that counts and the way i see it we are undefeated Alcoa is not so again I say DAWGS WIN

You are a fan of Peabody? Give us your credentials for your suggestions on the changes that you proposed? Do you have kids that play? How would you feel if someone criticized your son on a public message board? Why don't you let the Peabody staff know who you are, maybe they could get your input on other areas?

Good questions. Although I am just the middle school coach, I would be interested in the answers.

As far as criticizing the kids - I say a grown man hiding behind an alias disparaging a sixteen year old kid on a public message board lives a rather sorry existence. We coaches are big boys, and we expect criticism. We can handle it. If we couldn't, we would need to find another vocation. Personally, I can at least respect criticism when it is face to face. I don't have much time for criticism hiding behind a username.

Coach Darrell Royal said it best:

"The only thing that disturbs me about my profession is the fact that people give you too much credit when you win and too much criticism when you lose. I'll be the same person and do the same things and say the same things when we lose. But people won't believe me then. I won't change, but the people will."

This is the first and last time I will address this on this board. I can be contacted via my website and will be glad to communicate with someone who has an actual name, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

http://teacherweb.com/TN/PeabodyHighSchool/JohnPrince/

Guest nwtnsports

third:Alcoa is a great team with a Great Past Record and have won back to back but have they ever won back to back in Different Classes?No ,I say not .....The only team in history of the TSSAA to do that is MILAN so if past performances count again ....I, say DAWGS WIN, but the fact is that its this years team,This years oppertunity this years record that counts and the way i see it we are undefeated Alcoa is not so again I say DAWGS WIN

BDD, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Milan football. But let's get real. Alcoa has won four consecutive state championships and five titles since 2000. If you want to use that "past performance" rule here, then that means Alcoa is 5-0 in the state championship and 5-2 in the semifinals in the last eight years. Milan hasn't played in the state championship in those years. They are 0-3 in the semifinals.

Then there's this year's record. True, that Milan is 7-0 and Alcoa is 6-1. But the Tornadoes' loss was to Maryville, 20-13. (They've won 67 straight games, by the way. Some polls have them as the state's best team.)

Tradition is one thing. Both teams certainly have that on their side. Thirteen state championships between them (nine at Alcoa, four at Milan). An expectation of winning. But, it's another thing to live for today through yesterday. Tradition, by itself, doesn't win games. Players do. I'm tired of seeing Milan fans focus on what happened in '98 and '99. It was a wonderful accomplishment by two special teams. But that isn't going to help this year's team win this week or any other.

That said, I know you'll disagree, but thanks for reading. I hope our teams, unlike some fans, are taking it one week at a time. If not, they won't be playing in December.

[ Tradition, by itself, doesn't win games. Players do. I'm tired of seeing Milan fans focus on what happened in '98 and '99. It was a wonderful accomplishment by two special teams. But that isn't going to help this year's team win this week or any other.

:

Preach on brother /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

BDD, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Milan football. But let's get real. Alcoa has won four consecutive state championships and five titles since 2000. If you want to use that "past performance" rule here, then that means Alcoa is 5-0 in the state championship and 5-2 in the semifinals in the last eight years. Milan hasn't played in the state championship in those years. They are 0-3 in the semifinals.

I'm tired of seeing Milan fans focus on what happened in '98 and '99. It was a wonderful accomplishment by two special teams. But that isn't going to help this year's team win this week or any other.

You're right that we focus on '98 and '99....but doesn't Alcoa...and YOU in this post focus on the fact that they are 5-0 in state championships??

This is 2008.....doesn't matter what team won last year, or the year before, or in '99....what matters is the year at hand. And we Milan fans support our team and let them know that they have what it takes to go to the top. We tell them that every year. That's why we have such a great fan base, and such a great support for our team. We may not be the best every game or every week....but you sure as heck won't find a true Milan fan to say otherwise. Wether we're right or wrong!

GO DAWGS!!!!!

Guest nwtnsports

You're right that we focus on '98 and '99....but doesn't Alcoa...and YOU in this post focus on the fact that they are 5-0 in state championships??

I don't believe in the "past performance" logic as being the only reason for why teams succeed. The reason I brought it up in my post was in hopes that, if BDD believed it about Milan, he would see that about Alcoa and perhaps see that thinking doesn't make much sense.

IMO, the rest of your post was well-written and very good. I agreed with it, except for that true Milan fans always think their team is the best. That seems to be arrogance, and "pride goes before a fall."

But your point and mine are the same. This year is all that matters, and right now, all that matters is tomorrow night's game against Peabody.

Some folks like to take things out of context on this site. I made an attempt at sarcasim, it was not an attack on a young man doing his best. I appologize if it appears to be anything other than a that.

A poster was pointing out Peabody can't throw the ball. I was making the point we can run it, and will.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> see page #1 of this thread.