DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD STOP THE TWO WEEK FALL BREAK?

StevieRayVol

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the primary function of schools is to babysit and accomodate parent schedules, then all breaks should be done away with.

If the primary function of schools is to provide a steady routine for athletic teams, again, do away with all breaks.

If the primary function of schools is to teach and educate kids, year round school makes sense. Virtually all of the current educational research indicates that a calendar with moderate breaks throughout the year and a shorter summer break is much better for students in retaining what they've learned the previous year, and the breaks through the year do serve to refresh both students and teachers.

It is unhandy for athletics, though. Basketball has been having to live with a break for decades. Now it's lapped over into fall and spring sports and impacts virtually every team in a school.

I love High School Sports also and currently teach in a school where the fall break is just two days so we are not greatly affected. However, I have a hunch that the research you cite is somewhat valid. Besides Physics I sometimes teach Math also, and every year I am a little distressed at how much time is spent in the first 9 week grading period is spent on review of last years material.

Most of the teachers who I know who teach at year round schools love it. I have also been in their classrooms and chatted with the kids and they like it as well. All of the teachers I spoke to stated that the review time was greatly reduced which in turn results in more time getting through the curriculum for that year.

If the primary function of schools is to babysit and accomodate parent schedules, then all breaks should be done away with.

If the primary function of schools is to provide a steady routine for athletic teams, again, do away with all breaks.

If the primary function of schools is to teach and educate kids, year round school makes sense. Virtually all of the current educational research indicates that a calendar with moderate breaks throughout the year and a shorter summer break is much better for students in retaining what they've learned the previous year, and the breaks through the year do serve to refresh both students and teachers.

It is unhandy for athletics, though. Basketball has been having to live with a break for decades. Now it's lapped over into fall and spring sports and impacts virtually every team in a school.

I love High School Sports also and currently teach in a school where the fall break is just two days so we are not greatly affected. However, I have a hunch that the research you cite is somewhat valid. Besides Physics I sometimes teach Math also, and every year I am a little distressed at how much time is spent in the first 9 week grading period is spent on review of last years material.

Most of the teachers who I know who teach at year round schools love it. I have also been in their classrooms and chatted with the kids and they like it as well. All of the teachers I spoke to stated that the review time was greatly reduced which in turn results in more time getting through the curriculum for that year.

You are right - retention over the summer (or lack thereof) is the key issue that is addressed with year round school.

2 week fall break in October is a killer for football players,coaches and gates. Just about the stupidest thing education has done...it is simply taking part of your summer vacation and moving it to October..what a stupid idea..heck we've just been in school 9 weeks ...why do they need a break. Stupid Stupid Stupid....just ask any football coach. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

2 week fall break in October is a killer for football players,coaches and gates. Just about the stupidest thing education has done...it is simply taking part of your summer vacation and moving it to October..what a stupid idea..heck we've just been in school 9 weeks ...why do they need a break. Stupid Stupid Stupid....just ask any football coach. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

gotta agree ..biggest blunder tennessee state school boards have ever made....kids dont pick cotton in the fall anymore like 'back in the good ole day'

Dude that was a classic awesome you brought that one back. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

hahahah thanks! This thread reminded me of that for some reason lol. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />