DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD STOP THE TWO WEEK FALL BREAK?

StevieRayVol

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got two weeks after finals, you've got a week of July Fourth and you get a week before camp starts. That's a month, that's probably more vacation then you guys get!!! And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks? Go play intramurals, brother ??¦ go play intramurals!

Dude that was a classic awesome you brought that one back. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Alcoa has a "modified" year round schedule, and it seems to work well. To think that the school system is going to change their schedule to fit football is absurd.

For those of you that think teachers have it so easy, think about this: Most teachers don't have all the time off that you think they do. Many of them take classes during their breaks to keep up with new strategies/techniques, not to mention to be able to handle the baggage that many kids come to school with.

You try being in a classroom with 18-28 kids, different backgrounds, different skill levels, and make sure all of them meet the state standards. Then you have the parents to deal with who think that their precious babies can do no wrong and the teachers have no idea what they're doing.

And, no, I'm not a teacher...there's not enough money in the world I could be paid to do their job.

If you can read this: thank a teacher. If you can read this in English: Thank a soldier!

Amen brother, Amen.

I'm not sure this discussion belongs here. However I'd like to take everyone who is pushing for the year round school year out back and shoot them. It's garbage. You can't get childcare for this kind of schedule. The kids might learn for 7 of the 9 weeks because they're too wound up the first and last week of the period. Not to mention the fact that the only real reason I've been given to do this kind of schedule is so that teachers can have 2 weeks off every 9 weeks. So no benefit to learning.

Teachers do not have it hard compared to a lot of folks. Yet some cry all the time about how tough it is. Your pay is usually better than the median income of the area you're in. You get more time off than anyone I know. And if it's so terrible why did you pick it.

No to year round school and stupid fall breaks and such. It's garbage.

DL.

As someone from a family full of educators from elementary to college, I find your statements asinine. And trust me year round school would benefit most children. I am a proponent of year round because we experienced it with my first child until we moved. It was wonderful. Maybe you should put on a teacher's shoes sometimes and see if you could handle it. From your statements, I doubt you could. And teachers are just like anyone else, they complain about their job. I bet you've complained about yours plenty. Next time, think before you run off at the mouth. If you haven't noticed, those guys on the sidelines leading the kids are teachers.

And if it weren't for a teacher, I'm sure you would have learned to spell or type your backward, insensitive thoughts all by yourself.

Fall break is a waste of time whether it be one or two weeks. I think Christmas needs to be extended instead of having a break in the fall. Football has fewer games than basketball and baseball. When you schedule fall break parents schedule vacations which means trouble for the football program that week. If you could guarantee that fall break would coincide with a bye week then I would accept it. Otherwise it's useless and really does not benefit anyone to any great degree.

The calendar of each school system is determined by the individual system??™s board of education. The only thing the state mandates is 180 days of instruction and 6 ?? hour per day. A school system can set these instructional days whenever they want and take breaks at whatever time they choose. Systems are allowed to count 3 abbreviated days as part of the 180 instructional days. If a system stockpiles days for bad weather then they can use some or all of those days for professional development and count it as part of the instructional days as well. The state also mandate teachers??™ days by requiring 200 days per year. 10 of those days can be vacation days that must be built into the calendar approved by the board and the state. The remainder of those days is for professional development and instruction.

I vote we go back "Old School" ........................ Labor Day to Memorial Day ................ one day for the County Fair & a week for " Cotton Pickin' " ! Ah those were the days ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

GOOD'UN' '73..THE WAY IT USE TO BE !! GRANTED ITS NOT FAIR TO THE 8 COUNTIES THAT ARE REQUIRED BY THE STATE TO TAKE THE 2 WEEKS OFF..DHS AND DC HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT A DIS-ADVANTAGE DURING THIS DOWNTIME..MISSING OUT ON SCHOOL ACTIVITES, SCHOOL SPIRIT IS DEFLATED FOR SURE!

GO TROJANS !!!!!!!!!

GO DC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone from a family full of educators from elementary to college, I find your statements asinine. And trust me year round school would benefit most children. I am a proponent of year round because we experienced it with my first child until we moved. It was wonderful. Maybe you should put on a teacher's shoes sometimes and see if you could handle it. From your statements, I doubt you could. And teachers are just like anyone else, they complain about their job. I bet you've complained about yours plenty. Next time, think before you run off at the mouth. If you haven't noticed, those guys on the sidelines leading the kids are teachers.

And if it weren't for a teacher, I'm sure you would have learned to spell or type your backward, insensitive thoughts all by yourself.

My mother is a retired Special Ed teacher. My brother and his wife are Special Ed teachers. That brother is also a coach. None support year round school and neither do I. I have worked in and around schools. I have been a sub years ago.

I think anyone reading my post understands I wasn't bashing teachers as a whole. Not by a long shot. But I will not under any circumstances get on board with a year round school idea. I also have problems with teachers.....usually very few of them in any system...who constantly complain about pay. We all have access to know what we're getting into when we take a job. We should know what the pay range is. I'm in social work and the media. I know I'll never get rich unless the lottery decides to be nice to me.

Please don't try to turn my words into downing all teachers because that's not what I said.

DL.

Since I've had a second message about this where someone thinks I'm down on _all_ teachers let me add an issue to improve schools and the environment for teachers.

Since many parents don't want to parent anymore and have no idea what discipline is for their kids I'd like to see a paddle cut for every teacher from 3rd grade up and teachers supported to use them. No more nonsense from parents about you can't paddle my kid. If they get out of line light them up. If mine gets out of line he could get 3 before the incident is over. 1 from the teacher or principal. 1 from his uncle the teacher in the school and then another from me for sure when he gets home.

There's lots of things I wouldn't do in school because of fear. Fear that Cordell Newsome, Duper Ladd, Donnie Ladd and a few more would lift me off the ground with their paddles if I did it.

You want school violence and discipline to improve? Give teachers paddles and the support to use them.

I'm Del Tavian and I approved this message.

DL.

Since I've had a second message about this where someone thinks I'm down on _all_ teachers let me add an issue to improve schools and the environment for teachers.

Since many parents don't want to parent anymore and have no idea what discipline is for their kids I'd like to see a paddle cut for every teacher from 3rd grade up and teachers supported to use them. No more nonsense from parents about you can't paddle my kid. If they get out of line light them up. If mine gets out of line he could get 3 before the incident is over. 1 from the teacher or principal. 1 from his uncle the teacher in the school and then another from me for sure when he gets home.

There's lots of things I wouldn't do in school because of fear. Fear that Cordell Newsome, Duper Ladd, Donnie Ladd and a few more would lift me off the ground with their paddles if I did it.

You want school violence and discipline to improve? Give teachers paddles and the support to use them.

DL.

I'll vote for you...My parents both worked in the school system for over 57 years combined....Discipline starts IN THE HOME...and THAT PADDLE WILL WORK WONDERS....Used to be when you saw somebody's parents coming to school...IT WAS TROUBLE...and it was TROUBLE for the kid involved....Parents SIDED with teachers or adults in general when it came to kids...Now days..." MY KID WOULDN"T DO THAT"...."YOU ARE JUST PICKING ON HIM...and all the while he is CUSSING HIS OWN PARENT......Different day and age....My hat is off to school teachers...THEY EARN THEIR MONEY....

DL.

YOU GOT MY VOTE..IT ALL STARTS AT HOME REGARLESS OF WHAT ANYONE MAY SAY...WHOOP'EM' LIKE THEY USE TO DO...SADLY IT WILL GET ONE FIRED NOWADAYS..WE'RE LOSING OUR YOUNG CHILDREN TO POLICIAL CORRECTNESS...THERE IS NO FEAR/DISCIPLE IN CHLDREN NOW WITH THE STATE AND NATIONAL GOVT BACKING THEM IN ALL COURTS..ONE PARENT FAMILIES ARE TOO ABUNTDANT.. IN MOST CASES NOONE CARES WHAT THEY ARE DOING WHEN OUT WITH FRIENDS..PEER PRESSURE IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A FACTOR..

WE DESPERATELY NEED GOD BACK IN OUR HOMES AND SCHOOLS..

YOUNG FOLKS ARE FAR AND FEW BETWEEN WHO REALIZE THEY NEED TO ACCOUNTIABILTY FOR THEIR ACTIONS,NO BLAME ON OTHERS AS IS THE NORM IN OUR MODREN DAYS..

MAKE NO MISTAKE ITS ONLY GOING TO BECOME WORSE..

I REINERIRATE WE NEED GOD IN OUR HOMES AND SCHOOLS..