What's wrong with Baylor?

baylorgrad78

They are young at QB and that has limited them somewhat. They have a senior dominated offensive line and a good RB in Williams. They just don't have much creativity on offense but that may be due to the inexperirnce at QB. I thought the defense would be good but they haven't been. McCallie had no problem running through them while BGA had no problem throwing all over them. It's been a tough couple of yeras for the Red Raiders.

What do you think is wrong with Baylor this year? Is it 1) Personnel, 2) Defensive/Offensive Scheme or 3) Coaching?

You left out #4.... recruiting???? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Just kidding.. I'll shut up now........

tpoole12

do you think some of the signal mnt kids stayed home this year and went to there new school?

Some of those kids did stay at home but wouldnt have made much of a difference, if any. Baylor has kept it close in almost every game but just cant finish. There is a lack of enthusiasm surrounding the program, but its only a matter of time before they get back on track.

I have only seen the McCallie game but I did come away with an opinion. Granted this is an opinion from a non involved fan of football who isnt that familar with the personell there. It seems as far as offensive scheme goes that they are extremely one dimensional. I didnt understand why if they are dead set on running that running back so much why they dont give him a chance to do some things. What I mean by that is , they ran in him in a single back set with no lead blocker, no misdirection of any kind. The defense was stacking everybody in the box to stop this. Add a blocking back, run misdirection, throw it deep every now and then to keep the defense honest. It doesnt matter if you complete a high percentage or not. Throw when you can to keep the defense spread out. I would look at the other running back , I think he is #25 some. He ran hard from what I saw and it would give the horse a break every now and then. Better yet put them both in the backfield and run counters and play action stuff. Use them to block and for some misdirection. With the personell I saw it appears that Baylor is running about the wost offensive scheme they possibly can with the talent they have. As far as defense goes they just got whipped up front in that game. I didnt understand why they didnt go with more down lineman to stop the run. They got killed off tackle all night.

From what I can decipher their defensive scheme takes a German rocket scientist to figure out. And you are right, there is no enthusiam nor confidence, and until something MAJOR changes, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have only seen the McCallie game but I did come away with an opinion. Granted this is an opinion from a non involved fan of football who isnt that familar with the personell there. It seems as far as offensive scheme goes that they are extremely one dimensional. I didnt understand why if they are dead set on running that running back so much why they dont give him a chance to do some things. What I mean by that is , they ran in him in a single back set with no lead blocker, no misdirection of any kind. The defense was stacking everybody in the box to stop this. Add a blocking back, run misdirection, throw it deep every now and then to keep the defense honest. It doesnt matter if you complete a high percentage or not. Throw when you can to keep the defense spread out. I would look at the other running back , I think he is #25 some. He ran hard from what I saw and it would give the horse a break every now and then. Better yet put them both in the backfield and run counters and play action stuff. Use them to block and for some misdirection. With the personell I saw it appears that Baylor is running about the wost offensive scheme they possibly can with the talent they have. As far as defense goes they just got whipped up front in that game. I didnt understand why they didnt go with more down lineman to stop the run. They got killed off tackle all night.

Amen.

No dog in the hunt, but the teams that Baylor has lost to have a combined 30-7 record and just a few points (6; 3 one point losses) from being 33-4. Maybe it is just not Baylors year.

Good post. Baylor has played a rugged schedule. They are a good team playing mostly other good teams (Knox Catholic, McCallie and BGA) and exceptional teams (BA and MBA). Even so, Baylor is two plays away from being 4-3 right now. After leading the entire game against a tough Knox Catholic team a couple of weeks ago, they lost on the last play in double OT. And this past Friday night, they lost in the last minute on a 40 yd touchdown pass to the corner of the endzone.

To have a successful season playing the kind of schedule Baylor plays, you have to get a couple of breaks. This season, the breaks have not fallen Baylor??™s way. Still, Baylor has a great opportunity to win out and finish .500.

I dont think anything is wrong with Baylor. They compete in the most competitive division in the TSSAA. Within that division, it has won more championships in more different sports than any other school, enough to be recognized as one of the top 25 programs in the country. Just in the last five years, it looks like they've won around 27 in 8 sports. I imagine if the powers that be (Zan Guerry) decided to deemphasize other sports to concentrate on football, you'd see championship caliber teams in short order. I'd just as soon they continue to concentrate on minor sports and exend the streak another 11 years.