Unaka @ Cloudland

Bluengoldblood

I'm not tooting my horn , I try my level best to be a great parent. I have made plenty of mistakes,but the mistakes I've made had the best of intentions.I looked at Little Jerry's first 9 weeks grades ,the lowest one was a 97. He don't make these grades because he's so much smarter than other kids. I have taught him to give his best effort in everything he does. I don't expect my kids to be perfect,but I expect perfect effort. I don't bail them out when they are in the wrong. As a parent ,you always want to take their side, but we have to be realistic and see things as they are. I also do alot of praying. I make too many mistakes on my own. I' ve been around highschool sports for along time.And if you have good coaching and have a a group of kids who have good parents,you always have good teams. In my opinion ,thats the biggest advantage of the private schools. Most of their kids have very dedicated parents.

very well put...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not tooting my horn , I try my level best to be a great parent. I have made plenty of mistakes,but the mistakes I've made had the best of intentions.I looked at Little Jerry's first 9 weeks grades ,the lowest one was a 97. He don't make these grades because he's so much smarter than other kids. I have taught him to give his best effort in everything he does. I don't expect my kids to be perfect,but I expect perfect effort. I don't bail them out when they are in the wrong. As a parent ,you always want to take their side, but we have to be realistic and see things as they are. I also do alot of praying. I make too many mistakes on my own. I' ve been around highschool sports for along time.And if you have good coaching and have a a group of kids who have good parents,you always have good teams. In my opinion ,thats the biggest advantage of the private schools. Most of their kids have very dedicated parents.

Very well put! PUJO, you never know who is reading, YOU may have just opened some eyes! There may be a better parent/future parent get something out of this. I LOVE High School football and pull for the Rangers, but you may have touched on something bigger and deeper than High School sports, as a matter of fact I know YOU did. Job well done!!!!!

Very well put! PUJO, you never know who is reading, YOU may have just opened some eyes! There may be a better parent/future parent get something out of this. I LOVE High School football and pull for the Rangers, but you may have touched on something bigger and deeper than High School sports, as a matter of fact I know YOU did. Job well done!!!!!

I agree, very well said, but honestly some parents think their kid can do no wrong and no matter what ever happens it will always be somebody else's fault for their shortcomings. By no means could it have been the lack of discipline or the constant "youre the best, the coach is an idiot" speak, no matter what there will always be those parents. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

This is a situation where losing becomes contagious. Some of it falls on the coaches but most of it lies within the kids. They have some good athletes walking the halls but for whatever reason they chose not to play football. They've been great over the years in basketball but now that progam has hit near the bottom. They are good in baseball every year and that won't change with the current players they have now. It takes athletes to play those two sports just like it does football. I believe the coaches work hard but sometimes you've got to mix it up and try some new things. When you only have 20 or whatever number they have, you can't have competition for positions in practices for fear of getting somebody hurt. Kids become complacent knowing they going to start no matter how good or bad they do. Some of Hampton's practices are just as hard hitting as the Friday night games. They're not afraid to try new people in different spots and some position changes have been made due to practice performance.

Unaka will keep it close for a while but Cloudland pulls away in the second half.

Cloudland 27

Unaka 14

As a parent of a former Unaka Ranger, I've been closely observing Ranger athletics the last few years from grass cutters and little league on through to middle school ball. I'm the first one to say my kid has had his behavior problems, but his has always worked agggressively hard at becoming the best he could be at athletics. It's what he loves. He is loyal to his coaches, always respecting them and looking up to them as a father figure. His father has never wanted to be a part of his life. Thank goodness for his stepfather.

I watched as my kid practiced hard all summer lifting weights and completing drills each day. He trusted his coaching staff to allow him a chance to prove himself this year, but in the back of his mind he always knew he'd have to work twice as hard due to the political competition that is plaguing this football team. He had been warned from others who he respected not to take it too hard when he didn't play as much throughout high school, due to who his parents weren't.

It was incredibly hard to sit as an outsider while my boy cried himself to sleep after that first jamboree game when his position that he'd been working so hard at was given to another person's kid who had not practiced all summer and knew he didn't have to work as hard as mine for reasons some of you understand. My son played the last 12 seconds of the ballgame while those who are more "fortunate" than mine started and played the entire game. No explanations were ever given to my boy who wondered why you wouldn't even play him in an exhibition game?

Athletics was the one thing I could always use to ensure that he did his homework and placed emphasize on his academics just as much as sports. He knows if he doesn't concentrate on his school work, mind his teachers and coaches, that I will take his uniform away. I've done it before, so I don't think one could say I don't try hard to instill discipline in this boy.

Taking that leverage away from me and watching him cry over something that meant so much to him forced me into the making the decision to transfer him. And, wow, what a difference his new coaching & teaching staff has made in him. His grades are great, he gets rewarded on the field for the hard work he puts in, and his whole outlook on life is more positive. That's all I wanted for him was a fair shake and some real leadership. Now he knows for a fact that I'm not the only person in the world proud of him and he's getting the encouragement he needed.

It has been sad for him, however to lose so many of his friends who call him a quiter or deserter. Gosh knows I've lost mailboxes and picked enough toilet tissue out of my trees. But if that's what it takes to change his outlook and give him something to be proud of - so be it.

I hope Unaka does turn its' entire program around. There are so many good kids there who are great athletes. But you were right. It will take alot of work and a lot of soul searching from some that I don't think are willing to let go of their influence.

As a parent of a former Unaka Ranger, I've been closely observing Ranger athletics the last few years from grass cutters and little league on through to middle school ball. I'm the first one to say my kid has had his behavior problems, but his has always worked agggressively hard at becoming the best he could be at athletics. It's what he loves. He is loyal to his coaches, always respecting them and looking up to them as a father figure. His father has never wanted to be a part of his life. Thank goodness for his stepfather.

I watched as my kid practiced hard all summer lifting weights and completing drills each day. He trusted his coaching staff to allow him a chance to prove himself this year, but in the back of his mind he always knew he'd have to work twice as hard due to the political competition that is plaguing this football team. He had been warned from others who he respected not to take it too hard when he didn't play as much throughout high school, due to who his parents weren't.

It was incredibly hard to sit as an outsider while my boy cried himself to sleep after that first jamboree game when his position that he'd been working so hard at was given to another person's kid who had not practiced all summer and knew he didn't have to work as hard as mine for reasons some of you understand. My son played the last 12 seconds of the ballgame while those who are more "fortunate" than mine started and played the entire game. No explanations were ever given to my boy who wondered why you wouldn't even play him in an exhibition game?

Athletics was the one thing I could always use to ensure that he did his homework and placed emphasize on his academics just as much as sports. He knows if he doesn't concentrate on his school work, mind his teachers and coaches, that I will take his uniform away. I've done it before, so I don't think one could say I don't try hard to instill discipline in this boy.

Taking that leverage away from me and watching him cry over something that meant so much to him forced me into the making the decision to transfer him. And, wow, what a difference his new coaching & teaching staff has made in him. His grades are great, he gets rewarded on the field for the hard work he puts in, and his whole outlook on life is more positive. That's all I wanted for him was a fair shake and some real leadership. Now he knows for a fact that I'm not the only person in the world proud of him and he's getting the encouragement he needed.

It has been sad for him, however to lose so many of his friends who call him a quiter or deserter. Gosh knows I've lost mailboxes and picked enough toilet tissue out of my trees. But if that's what it takes to change his outlook and give him something to be proud of - so be it.

I hope Unaka does turn its' entire program around. There are so many good kids there who are great athletes. But you were right. It will take alot of work and a lot of soul searching from some that I don't think are willing to let go of their influence.

I've spoke to the kid you're talking about. I was impressed with his maturity ,he seems to be a fine young man. I've never had the pleasure to watch him on the field, but I do know that the coaches thinks very highly of him. You don't have to worry about politics at Hampton.

One more thing is this, I doubt he lost any friends, A true friend is hard to lose. A friend is with you through thick and thin. I do think he is with some great leaders. I also think he's going to love football better than ever. I've heard alot about the kid, tell him to work hard, If I had the chance ,I'd work with him myself. I like working with dedicated kids.

As a retired school administrator I would have love to have had that post in about 24 fount on my office door.

Sports are just games without the values and purpose. Great Post.

i talk to some of the boys on the creek this evening and they are fired up. cloudland is in for a long night. im lookin for it to be a blow out. after talking to the boys i say unaka 34 cloudland o

Are they all injured or are most of them able to play this week. I think if Unaka is healthy , it could be a decent game. I still think Cloudland would win by at least a couple of scores.

i talk to some of the boys on the creek this evening and they are fired up. cloudland is in for a long night. im lookin for it to be a blow out. after talking to the boys i say unaka 34 cloudland o

Does Cloudland really need this kind of post to fire them up?

I've spoke to the kid you're talking about. I was impressed with his maturity ,he seems to be a fine young man. I've never had the pleasure to watch him on the field, but I do know that the coaches thinks very highly of him. You don't have to worry about politics at Hampton.

Is this our future FB we're talking aboutl?