State Tournament Schedule

TheGreatLineJudge

I think it's a shame it won't be at MTSU this year,Every year the teams try to make it to the big stage and now the powers that be have taken it away. Also any championship match deserves the whole court to themselves.If you have feelings on this, send them too sspeicher@tssaa.org,I actually got a response in a couple of hours.

Bruins, I believe I can speak for a lot of the fans in thanking you for you sending your note. A lot of fans don't know nor can't know the feeliing their school has when first hand one they walk out on that stage and how proud their fans are to be there. I know your school has done that for I believe at least 9 times and know there are others in the state that have gotten that same feeling for many times. This situation has nothing to do with Siegel or Blackman per se, only this is where it was decided to play it. To play the finals on a whole court to themselves has nothing to do with either school either but a decision elsewhere. To not play the event to the pleasure of a maximum audience which could see the event is again something that can't be done.But somehting can be looked in to and that is Televising a part of the event to be recorded and replayed. If indeed there is no way to change the schedule, televising is the next best option. Siegel is a prime area for televising the event and someone needs to see the feasability of doing it like basketball and football. It can be done. Volleyball has been a large part of the sportcalendar for the two schools for some time as it has with yours and others and the fans of all of the Schools in the Boro look forward to seeing you there. This has been an emotional year for this sport. It's been a year when doe to economic situations, the coaches in this sport revised a lot of their play to Tournament Play and it seems to have helped them and the sport and cut down on some of the expenses they had. The events still had the "class" of previous years and these coaches and parents and fans had a great deal to do with it. The finale of a great year, I think you will agree, deserves the same treatment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As quickly as this all was thrown together, (it appears that way anyway) surely they can make a decision to give them a full court for the finals just as quickly.

If any coach's/ad's or parents are reading this, please contact TSSAA and share your feelings. Even if your team is no longer in the tournament.

I will say this however, the atmosphere and energy in the gym will be great. Everyone will be on top of the court and it will be very loud. That was the one down side to MTSU. Awful atmosphere.

I think it's a shame it won't be at MTSU this year,Every year the teams try to make it to the big stage and now the powers that be have taken it away. Also any championship match deserves the whole court to themselves.If you have feelings on this, send them too sspeicher@tssaa.org,I actually got a response in a couple of hours.

Thanks VBB this is not only a shame it is an OUTRAGE!!! Flood this clown's email with information!!! We should not let them eradicate our sport ona whim and never even look for an alternative!!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MTSU should be held accountable as well as the TSSAA>>> build your program on our backs Middle Tennessee ... I think !!@X#$%^#@!&&** NOT!!!

Who is on this; Rick Insell???Yes. see how many vball teams Shelbyville High School had when that little man was there!!! They didn't even ALLOW VOLLEYBALL>>> Give us a break TSSAA this will not go down without a fight... I agree; whether or not your team is in State or not this IS your ISSUE...sspeicher@tssaa.org...sspeicher@tssaa.org...sspeicher@tssaa.org...sspeic

her@tssaa.org

I also think that this is an outrage. We at Catholic are no longer in the run for the title, but this is just not right. I don't care what team it is, this is what the girls work so hard for all year long. It is the big venue and the atmosphere at MTSU that gets the girls all pumped up about going to state. I know that Blackman and Siegel are nice venues for the games, but I am sorry, this is just like going to a weekend tournament. Nothing special about being in a high school gym. I do not feel like TSSAA, has thoroughly thought all of this out before making this decision. Did they even try to contact other facilities, like Belmont University or David Lipscomb? My daugher has been to Belmont University several times for Volleyball camps, and it is a very adequate facitity. Vey poor judgement on their part. Please don't give me the line that they don't have the money. The TSSAA is nothing but a cash cow.

I also think that this is an outrage. We at Catholic are no longer in the run for the title, but this is just not right. I don't care what team it is, this is what the girls work so hard for all year long. It is the big venue and the atmosphere at MTSU that gets the girls all pumped up about going to state. I know that Blackman and Siegel are nice venues for the games, but I am sorry, this is just like going to a weekend tournament. Nothing special about being in a high school gym. I do not feel like TSSAA, has thoroughly thought all of this out before making this decision. Did they even try to contact other facilities, like Belmont University or David Lipscomb? My daugher has been to Belmont University several times for Volleyball camps, and it is a very adequate facitity. Vey poor judgement on their part. Please don't give me the line that they don't have the money. The TSSAA is nothing but a cash cow.

i agree with some if your thoughts but MTSU being so great is not true and the event was never made an event. Needed imagination to keep the crowd. Pardon me, needed an attraction. Too much dead time. If some of the Weekend Tournaments, which were great events, were organized a little differently and made an attraction, it might double the attendance. Really nothing special at MTSU either. Lets see if anything changes in a HS venue instead of being critical. If you want to put them in seats, give them something besides volleyball and make it an attraction. Certainly it takes more than one year to work out the details on things like that but this is a "Spectaculer"

with some pizzaz. Whatever happens, a great deal of more imagination is needed. This is as vanilla as it gets.

And what has the current format done for the sport the past 5+ years. If you don't recognize, it has been the same old, same old with the only thing innovative was when some of the "nations" showed up. By the way, how would you like to play before an "Empty" Murphy? Would that be as inspiring than having an audience? Murphy alone is not the answer and MTSU handling this like they have with no suggestion is not conducive to a "School of Higher Learning and Creativeness". In fact, its a cop out from everyone and awaiting Siegel and Blackman to Bail them out. On this short of notice, I sure hope they can and can make some suggestions.

I don't think that TSSAA has ever planned this with parents, fans and schoolmates in mind. Why could they not have scheduled the State Tournament on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The times and days are so important in order to get the crowds into Murfreesboro to make the money at the gate. Holding finals at or around noon on a Friday is just stupid. A few parents who can get off from work is about is good as it will get. I never did think I would see the day when volleyball would be held in such low regard. All I am saying is that each and everyone of the girls participating in the state tournament deservves better than this.

I don't think that TSSAA has ever planned this with parents, fans and schoolmates in mind. Why could they not have scheduled the State Tournament on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The times and days are so important in order to get the crowds into Murfreesboro to make the money at the gate. Holding finals at or around noon on a Friday is just stupid. A few parents who can get off from work is about is good as it will get. I never did think I would see the day when volleyball would be held in such low regard. All I am saying is that each and everyone of the girls participating in the state tournament deservves better than this.

We agree but it may not be, I hope, like your grandmothers event and remembering the way it was.

Should I assume the price of admission will be reduced since the cost of the venue is lower than when the tourney was held at MTSU?

Nobody has said the cost is lower, MTSU my understanding, said they just couldn't make any money on it. If thats not so, someone post on here what they did say. I am not a fan of the TSSAA but if this is a situation of a highjacking at the last minute by MTSU, the fans of this sport needs to know it.

Should I assume the price of admission will be reduced since the cost of the venue is lower than when the tourney was held at MTSU?

I think not. The T$$AA will keep the admission the same or possibly higher (inflation you know) and probably make more $$$$$. I never really liked the Murphy Center because of the parking and having to climb so many steps. I know the teams had the thrill of playing in a large arena, but the sparse crowds were not inspiring to the teams' play. The girls liked putting their banners and other posters up at the top of the unused folded up seats as it was great to look up and see your stuff, but will it be the same at Siegel or Blackman? We'll just have to wait and see how it goes this year and think about the other colleges in the area as possible sites.

This is as dumb as the T$$AA not having a plan for rain at the state golf tournament. Day 2 was rained out in AAA with no make-up and day one was played mostly in the rain. I know rain is part of it but you have to have a better plan. If bad weather moved in for the football championships like thunder and lighting or worse would they cancel the games? NO! The answer MONEY, golf has no admission charge.

I think not. The T$$AA will keep the admission the same or possibly higher (inflation you know) and probably make more $$$$$. I never really liked the Murphy Center because of the parking and having to climb so many steps. I know the teams had the thrill of playing in a large arena, but the sparse crowds were not inspiring to the teams' play. The girls liked putting their banners and other posters up at the top of the unused folded up seats as it was great to look up and see your stuff, but will it be the same at Siegel or Blackman? We'll just have to wait and see how it goes this year and think about the other colleges in the area as possible sites.

I would think that putting banners and posters of unused folded up seats is a thing of the past in that there are none and likely not many unused seats. Seating is about 2500 if there is one court and less if there is two used, maybe 1800. GLJ is correct and it has been the case every year. Putting people in the seats can correct a lot of the problems and working at it from that angle is the right thing.

Announcements