Shelbyville - Columbia

robotman

I KNOW THAT JUST ABOUT ALL OF SHELBYVILLE'S STARTERS HAVE PLAYED CLUB BALL AT ONE TIME IN THERE CAREER. MOST OF THE SUBS HAVE ALSO. THE MAIN PROBLEM IN SMALL TOWN LIKE SHELBYVILLE IS NO CLUB TEAMS. THEREFOR THEY HAVE TO TRAVEL FURTHER AND INCREASE COST. LARGER TOWN HAVE A LARGER SELCETION SMALL TOWNS HAVE TO TAKE WHOEVER SHOWS UP.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I KNOW THAT JUST ABOUT ALL OF SHELBYVILLE'S STARTERS HAVE PLAYED CLUB BALL AT ONE TIME IN THERE CAREER. MOST OF THE SUBS HAVE ALSO. THE MAIN PROBLEM IN SMALL TOWN LIKE SHELBYVILLE IS NO CLUB TEAMS. THEREFOR THEY HAVE TO TRAVEL FURTHER AND INCREASE COST. LARGER TOWN HAVE A LARGER SELCETION SMALL TOWNS HAVE TO TAKE WHOEVER SHOWS UP.

Snoop is your CAPS LOCK hung up or are you shouting?

While I will agree that the Boro has more athletes to choose from, they also have more schools to divide that talent. I understand the problems that small towns have with drumming up interest to start travailing teams. Finding not only players but coaches as well. But I would also guess that both Tullahoma and Shelbyville have a good size rec program between them in which to find enough talent to start those teams and keep them closer to home. It has been my experience that some parents don't realize how completive girls soccer has become until it's to late and their child either sits the bench or doesn't play. But sometimes all it takes is a pro-club remark to a 6 grader or their parents from a Middle school or High school coach to get that child interested in club ball or to stay in club ball.

Good Luck in the post season and good luck in developing your talent at the younger ages.

While I will agree that the Boro has more athletes to choose from, they also have more schools to divide that talent. I understand the problems that small towns have with drumming up interest to start travailing teams. Finding not only players but coaches as well. But I would also guess that both Tullahoma and Shelbyville have a good size rec program between them in which to find enough talent to start those teams and keep them closer to home. It has been my experience that some parents don't realize how completive girls soccer has become until it's to late and their child either sits the bench or doesn't play. But sometimes all it takes is a pro-club remark to a 6 grader or their parents from a Middle school or High school coach to get that child interested in club ball or to stay in club ball.

Good Luck in the post season and good luck in developing your talent at the younger ages.

I know for a fact that Tullahoma and Shelbyville have had most of their starting players being club players that played club for many years, traveling to Murfreesboro, Nashville, Brentwood, Harpeth,etc. Last years teams in both communities, for example, the vast majority had played club/select for many years and with quality teams. So, it isnt just the select, although I know it helps tremendously.........

so, that particular theory at this particular time I dont believe holds complete water......as stated, it definately makes a difference but parents in both of those communities spend countless hours and dollars traveling to Nashville two or three times a week for practice, tournaments all over the area, for many years, and then some..........

so????.......not sure the biggest factor for the past few years is club??????????? Other factors must make difference...

I have wondered the same...........

I know for a fact that Tullahoma and Shelbyville have had most of their starting players being club players that played club for many years, traveling to Murfreesboro, Nashville, Brentwood, Harpeth,etc. Last years teams in both communities, for example, the vast majority had played club/select for many years and with quality teams. So, it isnt just the select, although I know it helps tremendously.........

so, that particular theory at this particular time I dont believe holds complete water......as stated, it definately makes a difference but parents in both of those communities spend countless hours and dollars traveling to Nashville two or three times a week for practice, tournaments all over the area, for many years, and then some..........

so????.......not sure the biggest factor for the past few years is club??????????? Other factors must make difference...

I have wondered the same...........

Wow....How to ask it? Is it coaching? Or is it team leadership? Or a self-confidence thing. I'm dancing around the question because I don't want to get into a bashing situation.

Wow....How to ask it? Is it coaching? Or is it team leadership? Or a self-confidence thing. I'm dancing around the question because I don't want to get into a bashing situation.

I really do not know!! Have so wondered the same for several years now.........no one agrees all the time with coaching decisions, but for the most part in the district, I do not think that is it........there are many talented coaches in all areas of the state but why that district doesnt compete the same on a regular basis I do not know.......

I do know that Tullahoma has had many district titles over the years, proceeded most years to regionals, and has been to the state several times..........most years committment is there and good leadership too...

????????????

I would bet that although divided between more schools, the population by which to choose is still larger in the Boro schools...dont know that for sure, but I believer their schools are larger.......??

I would bet that although divided between more schools, the population by which to choose is still larger in the Boro schools...dont know that for sure, but I believer their schools are larger.......??

Riverdale 2,312 students

Siegel 2,109 students

Bearden 1931 students

Tullahoma 1,145 students

Shelbyville 1,263 students

Cookeville 2,178 students

McGavock is the largest school in the state.

It is not the club ball factor. Let's not forget the Azules that played select out of Shelbyville. Always competetive and well coached squads. My daughter's club team had two girls from Tullahoma and one from Shelbyville at U17DII. The biggest factor that I see is the loss of high quality athletes to other extra curicular activities at the high school level. To have a pool of 8 to 10 young ladies at the high school level, you need about 60 or 70 at the u8 level and at least 40 at the u14 level, so it is a numbers issue. A lot of these ladies are talented in band and other sports. If they are looking at scholarships for college, many can get more money by going on a band scholarship, basketball or softball. Just my opinion though.

Funny, my wife and I had the conversation on the way to watch Siegel vs. Blackman and Riverdale vs. Oakland play in the 7AAA semi's tonight about what the level of play would have been had the county invested in expanding Riverdale and Oakland rather than building Siegel and Blackman. Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that should have happened. The main purpose of High School is still education. I think that in Rutherford County, we will see the true effect by watching Smyrna soccer after they build the new high school there.

I'll weigh in on the side that stresses the importance of travel ball. I follow Cookeville soccer, and the level of success of both the boys and girls' squads has a direct correlation to club ball. The boys' squad has been to sectionals 3 out of the last 4 years, to state once, and has been ranked in the Eurosport poll the past two years. 90% of the Cookeville boys' varsity squad plays travel ball. While they play D-II, the six months or so of training they receive from that, as has been evidenced by recent success, has greatly contributed to keeping the boys' program at a high level. When the Cookeville girls' program was it its best (Charlie Hardee's team of '04 and Grant Kelly's team of '05), 90% of the girls played travel--and many of those went to Nashville or Knoxville to play their club ball. This year's Cookeville girls' squad had only 4 varsity starters who played travel ball. Even with talented athletes, it is extremely difficult for a team to contend if the majority of its players receive only the three months of training that comes with the high school season.

Fortunately, the Cookeville girls' travel program is getting organized again, and there will (hopefully!) be u-15 and u-13 teams in the spring.

I'll weigh in on the side that stresses the importance of travel ball. I follow Cookeville soccer, and the level of success of both the boys and girls' squads has a direct correlation to club ball. The boys' squad has been to sectionals 3 out of the last 4 years, to state once, and has been ranked in the Eurosport poll the past two years. 90% of the Cookeville boys' varsity squad plays travel ball. While they play D-II, the six months or so of training they receive from that, as has been evidenced by recent success, has greatly contributed to keeping the boys' program at a high level. When the Cookeville girls' program was it its best (Charlie Hardee's team of '04 and Grant Kelly's team of '05), 90% of the girls played travel--and many of those went to Nashville or Knoxville to play their club ball. This year's Cookeville girls' squad had only 4 varsity starters who played travel ball. Even with talented athletes, it is extremely difficult for a team to contend if the majority of its players receive only the three months of training that comes with the high school season.

Fortunately, the Cookeville girls' travel program is getting organized again, and there will (hopefully!) be u-15 and u-13 teams in the spring.

Good for Cookeville. To clarify, revise and extend my remarks. I agree completely with the importance of club ball to a successful HS program. My point was that it seemed that folks were taking shots at Shelbyville and Tullahoma when they have had good club programs. As Cookeville can testify, there are cycles where numbers involved go up and then go down. It sounds like Cookeville is coming out of a down cycle. I thiink Columbia may be coming out of a down cycle as well. Good luck to all.