The Arcentae Broome incident

TronCarter

If the only way that a coach can earn the respect of his players is by physical force and intimidation, he doesn't sound like a very good coach to me. When I played, the main lesson we got out of football was to be respected young men. Who do you think these kids are going to model themselves after? My guess would have to be the adults that they spend the most time around, that's their parents and their football coaches. Maybe I'm on a different page then some of you old timers, but I'm pretty sure a truly respectable man doesn't go around hitting teenagers who smart off. Get some control of your emotions man, you're supposed to be the leader of the team for crying out loud. I believe that players copy the actions of coaches, I really do. But that's not a very good thing when your coach can't control himself!

People not in metro have no idea what a coach has to deal with. It is easy to say how you would react to a kid yelling at you. Maybe it could have been prevented, but until you have been in a coaching job in metro can you really know what you or anyone would do. Metro is not the same as it once was. SSDD 5 down - 5 across.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school football programs across anywhere deal with the same crap. Plain and simple, disciplined teams normally win! If you do not have some sort of accountability for your players, they will never win and will become problems.

Looks like in this case, some chicken-crap daddy (who probably never played football) wants something done to a coach that "tapped" the kid on the pads. I mean come on, this is the reason many high school kids do not make it in college. They cannot handle the emotions and accountability.

Some of you older folks on here can remember getting grabbed by the jersey and jerked around or sometimes even by the facemask.

If you want your sons to be , then play basketball or soccer and NEVER touch a football!

People not in metro have no idea what a coach has to deal with. It is easy to say how you would react to a kid yelling at you. Maybe it could have been prevented, but until you have been in a coaching job in metro can you really know what you or anyone would do. Metro is not the same as it once was. SSDD 5 down - 5 across.

How about Metro Teachers? They don't even have the kids attention let alone their respect. Metro-Nashville Public Schools are just a pain in the rear in basically every area.

If you want your sons to be pu$$ies, then play basketball or soccer and NEVER touch a football!

I don't know about you, but when I was in high school most of our football players played basketball (and some played baseball) too. I agree though to some extent that basketball has become very offensive-play oriented and thereby handicaps strong defensive play. Also, while I don't care for soccer in the least bit, they do hit (though not as hard as football players do) and are better conditioned in comparison to football players.

The more you make this excuse for them and act like Metro is so different, the longer it will be different. You think hitting a kid in Metro is the only way to get to them? Then it is the adults who have failed Metro, not the kids. Maybe if you tried actually talking to them now and again, this wouldn't be the only way to get to them. But yeah, I do know exactly what the coaches are going through. I played these Metro teams for 3 years, and I had to put up with the constant and blantant disrespect. Here's the difference though: I didn't run around crying about how unfair they were and taking cheap shots back on them because I was taught better by my coaches. Maybe that's what Metro needs?

The more you make this excuse for them and act like Metro is so different, the longer it will be different. You think hitting a kid in Metro is the only way to get to them? Then it is the adults who have failed Metro, not the kids. Maybe if you tried actually talking to them now and again, this wouldn't be the only way to get to them. But yeah, I do know exactly what the coaches are going through. I played these Metro teams for 3 years, and I had to put up with the constant and blantant disrespect. Here's the difference though: I didn't run around crying about how unfair they were and taking cheap shots back on them because I was taught better by my coaches. Maybe that's what Metro needs?

I never said it was ok to hit the kid. I said you or nobody else knows for sure what they would do if a kid gets in your face and is yelling and cussing you. In the heat of battle anything can happen. I was not there ,niether were you, so I don't know the details. We don't even know what the hit was,so we can't judge based on the term hitting. You still have no clue as to the everyday dealings with metro kids.

I never said it was ok to hit the kid. I said you or nobody else knows for sure what they would do if a kid gets in your face and is yelling and cussing you. In the heat of battle anything can happen. I was not there ,niether were you, so I don't know the details. We don't even know what the hit was,so we can't judge based on the term hitting. You still have no clue as to the everyday dealings with metro kids.

What do you mean by the everyday dealings with Metro kids then?

What do you mean by the everyday dealings with Metro kids then?

The way they are in school,behavior,attitude,manners, language,dress,apathy,respect for others and themselves. How their life outside of school affects their life in school. The dysfunctional behavior in metro schools.Fights,gangs,guns and a Jerry Springer mentality. Things teachers battle all day long and then coaches try to practice. Spend a week in the school and you will see. Metro coaches do a great job. How many county coaches try to get a job in metro? Most will tell you they would not do it. Even with all this said I still don't want coaches hitting people and I still don't know how he was hit. A hit to me would be a fist to an area not covered with pads or helmet. I don't think this was the case .

For the most part, Metro is a dysfunctional district. It is a very good reflection of a good portion of the dysfunctional families that are typical of many of the students. This is no knock on families and students with difficult situations. But HVille, you have to understand, your city has enjoyed great growth over the last 40 years because of the flight of so many families, that are not dysfunctional, to get away from a bad educational system. The worst that metro had to offer didnt move to Hendersonville, or Mt. Juliet, or Brentwood, or Smyrna, or any other number of communities and private schools that have benefited Metro's bad decision making. So metro ended up with what it has, a difficult situation trying to be lead by a dysfunctional board of education, dysfunctional administration, and dysfunctional students, and a few dysfunctional teachers. For the most part, metro coaches are outstanding and are doing an admirable job in a very difficult, unsupported situation.

For the most part, Metro is a dysfunctional district. It is a very good reflection of a good portion of the dysfunctional families that are typical of many of the students. This is no knock on families and students with difficult situations. But HVille, you have to understand, your city has enjoyed great growth over the last 40 years because of the flight of so many families, that are not dysfunctional, to get away from a bad educational system. The worst that metro had to offer didnt move to Hendersonville, or Mt. Juliet, or Brentwood, or Smyrna, or any other number of communities and private schools that have benefited Metro's bad decision making. So metro ended up with what it has, a difficult situation trying to be lead by a dysfunctional board of education, dysfunctional administration, and dysfunctional students, and a few dysfunctional teachers. For the most part, metro coaches are outstanding and are doing an admirable job in a very difficult, unsupported situation.

Fair enough. Let me make it clear that I do have respect for any coach that coaches one of these teams, because there is no way in the world you could get me to go into that level of disrespect and coach a team. Maybe Metro football will improve with this reclassification, couldn't get much lower.

There will obviously be differing opinions on this subject. My opinion is that the kids dad should have snatched a knot in his sons behind, apologized to the coach for what his son did and asked for a meeting with the coach and school officials the following week to discuss the coaches actions. Then when he got his son home remind him who was incharge with his belt and that if wanted to play football then the coach was the authority and that was final, but that's just me!

I was reading an article that I found interesting and sort of hits on this issue to apoint even though it's non sports related and ends in tragedy.

Here is the link for those who might care to read it: http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/473589.html

It's a story of a 15yr old boy that is shot by a off duty police officer at a time when the boy should have been at home in bed asleep. Also, the family and story tries to give a justification for the boys actions by saying he has a "medical condition" of having a problem with authority. This type thing only makes it easier for youth, or anyone really, to do what they want because they can't help it. Anyway, it's insightful to part of what's wrong with our society in general.