The Arcentae Broome incident

TronCarter

Guys,

Couldn't believe I did not see a thread about this topic, so here it goes. This situation is pretty dadgum comical to me.

1. Quarterback comes off the field mouthing off at the coach.

2. Coach puts him in his place using a "little" force.

3. Kid goes home and tattles.

4. Daddy gets all PO'd.

5. Dad goes into administration.

6. Coach and player get suspended.

Does anybody else here on the board that is over the age of 25 or so, and played high school ball, find this absolutely comical. Look, its not OK to be beating on kids and stuff.

HOWEVER, if a player comes off cussing at his coach, there used to be an unwritten rule that you were placing your own life at risk at that point.

Look, I'm biased. I know Arcentae Broome, I like Arcentae Broome, and I KNOW he loves coaching kids. He probably needs to pick a better way to deal with this situation next time by placing Mr. Spolied Brat on the pine, and let that do the beating for him.

This pandering of teenagers has just got to stop somewhere. It was not like he slugged the kid or anything. I would have loved for this kid to play for a Doug Mullican. Warren Dunn, Tommy Owen, Cornelius Ridley, or some of those other old school guys and seen what would have happened. Those coaches would be in jail today for some of the things they would have done to him!

Parents have completely sissified football at Mcgavock High on this one.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...reading the article...I might have to side with the parents on this one.

You know, I hate to hear my son get chewed out from the stands...it doesn't happen often but when it does, I cringe, not because I don't think he deserves it but because I hate for him to disappoint his coach. I'd come totally unglued if he talked back to his coach - he'd be grounded and punished severely. He should respect his coach and the authority he has.

But...that is not unconditional respect. I would never condone my son talking back or cursing at a coach and I would never tolerate a coach striking my son. I think those involved are better suited to determine whether it was assault or what - I didn't see it so I can't say. But if he did hit the kid...not good. (of course, any little putz that cusses or talks back to a coach abusively needs to get a thrashing from his mama and his daddy).

"Sissification" is an excellent way to describe what has happened in high school athletics, particularly football. A coach like Woody Hayes would never be able to set foot on the sidelines today. This issue even carries over into the classroom. Gone are the days of [gasp!] actual student punishment. A teacher can no longer lay a finger on a student, let alone ridicule or discipline them. What makes it even worse is that students are 100% aware of that! If you don't agree, spend a couple of days in an elementary school classroom and you will see exactly what I mean. My wife is a teacher, and she can't even speak harshly to a student without getting a phone call or a visit from a parent the next day. And we wonder why kids have gotten so out of control! Here's a thought - Parents need to stop coddling their children! I wish I knew of a realistic solution, but unfortunately, the ideal solution would require us to turn back the clock. These situations are going to get more common as time passes, and I think that's a shame.

I don't condone what this coach did, especially since I don't know the situation, but this is an issue that begins at home and carries over to the classroom.

All I know is the kid deserved it if he was cussing at the coach. I put the blame on the parent of the quarterback for not rasing his kid the right way and teaching him early in life you can not disrespect authority figures and not have any consequences. He is probably one of those parents who does not want his kid to be paddled whenever they act up. Maybe he should call McGavock's administration and see if they can start putting players in Time-Out if they cus a teacher or a coach out.

Coach Broome deserves to be reprimanded in my opinion, just based on the fact that things have changed (not for the better, in this instance), and that he needs to be hands off in this situation.

But, make no mistake, this kid deserved to get a tongue lashing at the very least. I just think the lack of the "threat" of physical punishment has really given kids a green light to do whatever they want. That is not a good thing. Its always a good thing for a teenage boy to have a "healthy fear" of an an authority figure. If I would have cussed my high school coach, my daddy and my coach would have laid hands on me.

All I know is the kid deserved it if he was cussing at the coach. I put the blame on the parent of the quarterback for not rasing his kid the right way and teaching him early in life you can not disrespect authority figures and not have any consequences. He is probably one of those parents who does not want his kid to be paddled whenever they act up. Maybe he should call McGavock's administration and see if they can start putting players in Time-Out if they cus a teacher or a coach out.

I totally agree. I didn't tattle on my coach when he made me run sprints for an on the field incident. This is a total cop out by the administration because what is the ultimate goal in football besides winning? I will tell you. DISCIPLINE!

And folks continue to wonder why coaches are leaving Metro the first chance they get. I for one do NOT blame them.

I just wish I had a nickle for ever time a coach has grabbed the front of my helmet to get my attention. Nothing like going eye to eye. 'Taps' to the pads are NOTHING! If the qb can't stand that then why is SHE playing football in the first place?

And folks continue to wonder why coaches are leaving Metro the first chance they get. I for one do NOT blame them.

I just wish I had a nickle for ever time a coach has grabbed the front of my helmet to get my attention. Nothing like going eye to eye. 'Taps' to the pads are NOTHING! If the qb can't stand that then why is SHE playing football in the first place?

Your right that is why it is tough in metro. Administration will not back their coaches.