THE EAST TN RIVALRY

ArtVandalay

Someone tell me about that last play please, the one where Steele broke up the TD pass. I only saw it on the news last night so I don't know all the details. Looked like the receiver had a sure TD and it was broken up at the last split second. My questions are........I hear how great a defensive coach Watson is so how do you get beat deep on the last play? Or maybe it wasn't the last play and SH could have gotten a first down and kept moving??? There for you wouldn't necessarily be playing prevent. Or did Steele (who gets bragged about being a great player) get beat or was he trying to catch up to someone else's man? Someone please clarify??

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone tell me about that last play please, the one where Steele broke up the TD pass. I only saw it on the news last night so I don't know all the details. Looked like the receiver had a sure TD and it was broken up at the last split second. My questions are........I hear how great a defensive coach Watson is so how do you get beat deep on the last play? Or maybe it wasn't the last play and SH could have gotten a first down and kept moving??? There for you wouldn't necessarily be playing prevent. Or did Steele (who gets bragged about being a great player) get beat or was he trying to catch up to someone else's man? Someone please clarify??

Here is what I saw from the stands: Isaac took the snap, and ran right, as to run, however it was sealed off. He shook a tackle, rolled back to the left, and set up to throw. He had two receivers in the endzone, #1 and #2.. Steele got caught up in trying to get Isaac before he reached the 1st down marker, and Isaac would've had him beat. It was 4th and 5 from the 19, and Steele was at the 5. The two receivers I referred to were WIDE open, and Isaac threw an easy pass. If the receiver, who is actually a tailback, came back to the ball, game, set, and match. But, Isaac put just a little too much air under it, and Steele, who should be credited with a clutch play regardless, was able to make up the ground and bat the ball away because the receiver sat and waited on the ball, instead of coming back to it. If he takes one, maybe two steps forward, he makes the catch, or pass interference is called. That would have been the only way to defend it if the receiver had just approached the ball, rather than waiting for it to come to him. Also, the other receiver had a chance to catch it himself, because Steele hit it up into the air, but he couldn't get to it before it hit the ground.

Let me translate what Volman is trying to say. "Im mad as heck that DB won that game last night. That had to be pass interference on that pass to the endzone. Watson is not as good a defense coach as the DB people say and Steele just got lucky when he recovered a fumble, intercepted a pass. blocked a extra point, and knocked down the potentental game winning pass by Science Hill. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

JcTopper done a good job of explaining the play.Watson is a fine coach,his defense has not given up more than 14 points during a game all year.That's including getting a lot of people on the field to build some depth.Steele is a very fast and good athlete who made a great play.

WaCo, you could certainly help me with this one: what year is Steele? I'd like to say a sophomore, but I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, he played like a seasoned veteran last night. Though we came out on the short end, it was a well played game, entertaining all the way to the end, and definitely worth the price of admission. I only had one problem though: you guys are trying to run out the clock, and we've got senior leaders jumping over the line trying to take Jamie out. Didn't agree with that AT ALL. Best of luck to the Indians in the playoffs, represent the Tri-Cities well. I'd like to see a playoff matchup between SH and DB at J.Fred, but with SH taking on a very talented Farragut team in the 1st round (at Farragut) that is very unlikely. See you guys in basketball season /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes, Derrick Steele is a Sophmore. Art told us all how great a player Steele was going to be and he was right. I think what the Science Hill players were trying to do at the end was force a turnover. I don't think it was a unsportsman like thing there. Sometimes you can cause a problem with handeling the snap when you do what they were doing. Crawford keep his cool and closed out the game. Good luck in the Farragut game. Its going to be rough going for all the Region 1 teams.

Yes, Derrick Steele is a Sophmore. Art told us all how great a player Steele was going to be and he was right. I think what the Science Hill players were trying to do at the end was force a turnover. I don't think it was a unsportsman like thing there. Sometimes you can cause a problem with handeling the snap when you do what they were doing. Crawford keep his cool and closed out the game. Good luck in the Farragut game. Its going to be rough going for all the Region 1 teams.

I remember Tennessee getting a turnover against Arkansas when it looked to be over for the Vols in 1998.Just a freak play,but it saved Tennessee's chance to win a national title that year.

Ok, now that I've taken time to think about it, that was a good strategy for us on defense at the end. Yes it is going to be very rough for region 1. With Campbell County getting in over Sevier, I think they will get WAXED at the big O, and that SH won't have enough for Farragut. That being said, I believe that Bearden and DB are region 1's best chance to go far. DB is from the tricities, they are the team that SH, South, and TN will have to go through in reclassification to become the best. I want my team to become the best, it's that simple. Now, all of that was an explanation for what I'm about to say. I can't believe I'm coming with this one, but here it goes:

Roll Tribe Roll. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

D. Steele saved the perfect regular season for DB last night no question about it. It was a hard night of football to watch for either side in this game as the coaching was horrible for both sides. I just dont know anymore what we're doing on offense. Way to many options and sweeps on a team that has way more team speed than DB. GC will never understand that throwin early in downs will make the iso plays with sensabough much for effective later in the game. Yes Ashlon was out, but that didnt mean we couldnt have more balance in the run and pass. Fake punt was imminent but #2 was still back 30 yards, db had #1 on the toppers #1 why? Kinley ran to his left the entire night and ate up the clock in the 2nd half, and DB had no answer for it defensively. But hey maybe we're still just not showing anything till the playoffs. I hope this wk in practice DB can work on some fundamental things, like tackling for one and start to get more focused.

Still nobody has answered my question. How much time was left on that play? Obviously, D-B wasn't in prevent so there must have been time for SH to get a first down then run some more plays?? The previous topper fan gave some good info and I thought the same thing from watching it on TV. Had the receiver made a play for the ball he would have at least drew the flag if not caught the pass. Regardless of what Jack says, I was pulling for D-B last night. I'll be pulling for them next week too. However, I see region 2 winning at least 3 of the 4.

Volman,

I believe there was 1:41 remaining in the game when D-B took over...the "Hill" was out of timeouts...Canepa is a running back and was not Steele's man or in Steele's immediate area of coverage on the play, Steele reacted to the eyes of the QB (Kinley) reacted and broke to the ball...due to the flight of the ball, he had time to get there and make the play...

Roll Tribe Roll

Still nobody has answered my question. How much time was left on that play? Obviously, D-B wasn't in prevent so there must have been time for SH to get a first down then run some more plays?? The previous topper fan gave some good info and I thought the same thing from watching it on TV. Had the receiver made a play for the ball he would have at least drew the flag if not caught the pass. Regardless of what Jack says, I was pulling for D-B last night. I'll be pulling for them next week too. However, I see region 2 winning at least 3 of the 4.

Skunk is on it. Pretty accurate, from what I saw, it was around that much time left.

D. Steele saved the perfect regular season for DB last night no question about it. It was a hard night of football to watch for either side in this game as the coaching was horrible for both sides. I just dont know anymore what we're doing on offense. Way to many options and sweeps on a team that has way more team speed than DB. GC will never understand that throwin early in downs will make the iso plays with sensabough much for effective later in the game. Yes Ashlon was out, but that didnt mean we couldnt have more balance in the run and pass. Fake punt was imminent but #2 was still back 30 yards, db had #1 on the toppers #1 why? Kinley ran to his left the entire night and ate up the clock in the 2nd half, and DB had no answer for it defensively. But hey maybe we're still just not showing anything till the playoffs. I hope this wk in practice DB can work on some fundamental things, like tackling for one and start to get more focused.

There are two things that you wrote about that I covered before this game.Passing early to open up everything and on defense,I said before that Chris needs to be on the field in the secondary.That would stop a lot of sweeps and runs that speed can deal with on the outside.He would be like a linebacker out there and bring the hammer