Millington vs Cordova..

millingtonfan

Sometimes points allowed can be a little deceiving. All year long Millington's starters have hardly played at all in the second half. So when you have the second and third teams out there against the number ones of the other team then points are going to be allowed which makes it seem like it might have been a closer game. If I am not mistaken, Cordova was up 41-0 in that game vs Arlington.

On the other hand, the fact that Cordova struggled with Bolton speaks volumes. So does the win vs Overton (only 20-8). Cordova also gave up almost 200 yds rushing to Craigmont and Millington held them to 65. What does all this mean? Nothing. The saying goes...there are lies, darn lies and statistics. Throw everything out the window.

Last game of the regular season for the region championship?!! It just doesn't get much better than that. Cordova is trying to make a statement that they are for real. Millington is trying to do the same after people thought they would drop off after graduating 23 seniors. This ought to be a heck of a ball game. Everyone is invited to "Trick or Treat" at Cordova Friday night at 7 PM.

It will be a great game because of the atmosphere alone but don't forget two pretty good teams wanting a region championship. There is a lot of stats on all the thread about teams and matchups but at 7:00 friday night 11 green jersey's and 11 gold jersey's will line up across from each other and none of the stats will make one bit of difference and both teams will have to perform to get that championship. I am glad that the last game of the season has meaning and looks to be competitive. neither team needs an easy win heading into the playoffs so it should be good preparation for week 11 no matter what. I would not mind a onesided victory though, i'm sure cordova would take the same.

Go trojans

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

millingtonfan

Sometimes points allowed can be a little deceiving. All year long Millington's starters have hardly played at all in the second half. So when you have the second and third teams out there against the number ones of the other team then points are going to be allowed which makes it seem like it might have been a closer game. If I am not mistaken, Cordova was up 41-0 in that game vs Arlington.

On the other hand, the fact that Cordova struggled with Bolton speaks volumes. So does the win vs Overton (only 20-8). Cordova also gave up almost 200 yds rushing to Craigmont and Millington held them to 65. What does all this mean? Nothing. The saying goes...there are lies, darn lies and statistics. Throw everything out the window.

Last game of the regular season for the region championship?!! It just doesn't get much better than that. Cordova is trying to make a statement that they are for real. Millington is trying to do the same after people thought they would drop off after graduating 23 seniors. This ought to be a heck of a ball game. Everyone is invited to "Trick or Treat" at Cordova Friday night at 7 PM.

I hate I have to miss the game.I gottra take the kids to trick or treat. I should be a great game. Get Em Trojans

Ctrojan

Bring them to the game in their costume. I will buy them a bag of candy so they won't miss out and you won't either!!!!

Yeah I Wish I dont think my wife will go for that!Its the twins first halloween.Mom and Dad wii be there so I will check-up with them.It looks like we should be the game of the week if all the votes keep coming in!

Yeah I Wish I dont think my wife will go for that!Its the twins first halloween.Mom and Dad wii be there so I will check-up with them.It looks like we should be the game of the week if all the votes keep coming in!

Hey, just my thoughts, but why not hit the neighborhoods right around Cordova High School, Lost of nice houses, probably could @@@@ up in just a few houses then skip over to the games while the kids sit in the bleachers pig out on the candy.

Where are all the Cordova posters at? I would have thought they would be out in full force talking about this game.

What are the keys to the game? I want to hear from the Cordova fans on what they have to do to win this ball game.

As far as Millington goes, no turnovers (but you can say that about any game). Continue to do what you do best. On the year over 51 % of the running plays have gone for 5 yards or more. If that trend continues, it would be a long night for any team not just Cordova. On defense, bend but don't break. Keep the receivers in front of you and make sure tackles. Don't be a hero and try to make the spectacular play. Make the routine ones and everything will be fine. Get some pressure on the QB and make him throw the ball before he is ready.

For Cordova, I think they have to keep Millington off balance. They can't be too predictable on offense and they will definitely have to be able to run the ball to make the pass effective. On defense, they better make sure and tackle very well because if you miss a tackle on Tausean Holmes he will take it to the house and he might even do that if you don't miss a tackle. You will need to force a turnover and get some good field position out of it and capitalize as well.

Thoughts?

Where are all the Cordova posters at? I would have thought they would be out in full force talking about this game.

It would be nice to have the Cordova fans get on here and represent. Dialogue is always a good thing but alas ... they have been MIA all week. They don't have to just discuss this game either ... there is another thread that talks about games in Memphis. I would just like for the supporters of HS football in Memphis and the surrounding area give us some comments ... let's talk ... chew the fat ... discuss HS football in our city and area ... the good, bad, and ugly. OH well ... MarkH ... we will keep on plugging along and hopefully those other guys will warm up to us and we can have some great discussions and debates.

It would be nice to have the Cordova fans get on here and represent. Dialogue is always a good thing but alas ... they have been MIA all week. They don't have to just discuss this game either ... there is another thread that talks about games in Memphis. I would just like for the supporters of HS football in Memphis and the surrounding area give us some comments ... let's talk ... chew the fat ... discuss HS football in our city and area ... the good, bad, and ugly. OH well ... MarkH ... we will keep on plugging along and hopefully those other guys will warm up to us and we can have some great discussions and debates.

I do wish there were more people from Memphis that posted on this thing because it is fun to hear everybody's opinion. There are a lot of homers on here but people should be that way about their teams. As for Cordova I am going for them I don't think they will win but I am pulling for my buddy Coach Alsbrook. He was one of the first coach's around to start running the spread when he was the head coach at Kirby and I am spread guy so I enjoy his offense. THey better get that run defense tightened up because if they don't it will be a long night. THe CHiefs were able to run it pretty good against them.

What are the keys to the game? I want to hear from the Cordova fans on what they have to do to win this ball game.

As far as Millington goes, no turnovers (but you can say that about any game). Continue to do what you do best. On the year over 51 % of the running plays have gone for 5 yards or more. If that trend continues, it would be a long night for any team not just Cordova. On defense, bend but don't break. Keep the receivers in front of you and make sure tackles. Don't be a hero and try to make the spectacular play. Make the routine ones and everything will be fine. Get some pressure on the QB and make him throw the ball before he is ready.

For Cordova, I think they have to keep Millington off balance. They can't be too predictable on offense and they will definitely have to be able to run the ball to make the pass effective. On defense, they better make sure and tackle very well because if you miss a tackle on Tausean Holmes he will take it to the house and he might even do that if you don't miss a tackle. You will need to force a turnover and get some good field position out of it and capitalize as well.

I think both teams will come ready to play, there is alot at stake. I know there were alot of cordova fans talking as long as two weeks ago, about what they were going to do to Millington,IE ESCALADEDRIVER.In millington there is no talk, whatever happens friday I want our region to show well ,the following week.

Thoughts?

Yes, I would like our region to show well during the playoffs as well. It will all boil down to matchups. Craigmont vs Whitehaven in first round. Both teams have athletes but Whitehaven is much more consistent and has been for a number of years. If Craigmont could develop that consistency then they could give a lot of teams a run for their money.

Ridgeway has things moving in the right direction again. It was an absolute joke when they hired Joe Lee Dunn because everybody (and I do mean EVERYBODY) knew he was leaving the first chance he could. Rod Brown has done a good job so far and will continue to do so. Ridgeway always has athletes coming through the doors there and football will get back to the upper echelon of teams before too long.

Cordova does a good job on a yearly basis. They have to find a way to get over the hump. They had some explosive players there with the Crawford's and need to have someone similar to that (playmaker on offense) to get them past the first round of the playoffs. Their defense is usually pretty good. They might be a little undersized at times but they will rise up and hit you regardless of how big (or not so big) they are.

Plus you have to factor in the experience factor. Paul Cox, Charlie White and Tim Haney have all been around for a long time. (Haney being the young one of the bunch...you can thank me later Tim...lol) Sometimes if you haven't been there before, it makes a difference. All of those guys made errors when they were younger and in the playoffs for the first time and they have made adjustments over the years to not make those mistakes again. Sometimes you just have to go through growing pains-as a coach and as a team.