Greeneville moving down

FormerDevil

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might be tough for a year or two and then watch the decline. Case in point is Elizabethton. They used to compete with the big boys in region one but now they struggle to compete in the major boys sports at two A. You are only as good as the people you play and that is why the Tennessee men and women's basketball schedule so tough. Don't be afraid to play up!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Oh and I am a GHS grad and am not the least bit impressed with the move down by a bunch of coaches that have no history with the program and certainly no pride in it. They just want to win baby win!! Maybe Niswongerville will get themselves a state championship in something if they keep moving down!

I feel like as long as the coaching staff is allowed to continue coaching as they are now and include some tough teams in the schedule they will go far. The wrestling team for the past three years has gone to state championship (in Large School Div) as the smallest school there. I mean like 835 to 1450 being the next smallest. They have finished decent. But never a threat to win. Where in the small school div they have defeated most of the teams competing at state. Probably would have won or finished secound at the least. Where is the fairness in this. Just a couple of years ago a local girls soccer team advanced to the quarter final in state. Our girls had destroyed them twice. We need to continue with our same program. Don't cut the staff and budget because we are now playing where we should. You will see a increase of students taking part. And a growth in all sports. I may be wrong but I guess we will have to see.

I agree with some things on both sides of this.It just hurts some of us old guys pride a little to see the Devils play as the small school that we allways were.When there was just three classes,we didn't care or really even know how many students went to Jeff co. or Dobyns-Bennett. They could only put 11 out there at a time and it was man vs. man.

They might be tough for a year or two and then watch the decline. Case in point is Elizabethton. They used to compete with the big boys in region one but now they struggle to compete in the major boys sports at two A. You are only as good as the people you play and that is why the Tennessee men and women's basketball schedule so tough. Don't be afraid to play up!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Oh and I am a GHS grad and am not the least bit impressed with the move down by a bunch of coaches that have no history with the program and certainly no pride in it. They just want to win baby win!! Maybe Niswongerville will get themselves a state championship in something if they keep moving down!

I thought Betsy played 4A football in region 1.

The move down is not all about football. It effects all the sports teams as GHS, I quote FIG42 in that the Devils matmen could have brought home atleast two team state titles from 04'-08' if not four in the small school division. Playing up is admirable and comendable, but when you advance far enough and are eventually competeing against schools who double your size there is a point where you have to take a step back and make the sensible, and obvious choice for any school who has not had the success that we have had as a school, not just football. I listened to my peers gripe about "fooball gets all the attention...they get specail treatment, favortism, favortism, favortism" for four years. This move is selfess in regaurds to the football program, and cutting down our coaches is not going to achieve anything. Be supportive...I assure you that we will schedule a high level of competition for our out of conference games in order to keep our boys, and girls for that matter, fine tuned for when it really counts...the postseason. Iron sharpens iron...we will have no problem attracting great competition from around the area. Good programs with good coaches share this philosophy, if playing at a lower classification lowers your level of play then why is Alcoa the most formitable opponent to Maryville year in and year out? Keep the faith...nothing has ever gotten accomplished with a pestimistic attitude.

I thought Betsy played 4A football in region 1.

Elizabethton was one of the big boys years ago.DB,SH, TH,Besty and I think Erwin made up the big 5.Then came Greeneville and Morristown to make the big 7. Next year they will play 2A small or 3A during the playoffs.Greeneville will be 2A large or 4A during the playoffs.Greeneville has as good an offense as I've seen when it's clicking. Some people have told me that the young defensive line has grown up since I watched the Jeff co. game.That will spell trouble for a lot of teams up my way if thats the case.Go Devils and Roll Tribe

"a bunch of coaches that have no history with the program and certainly no pride it it". Are you kidding or just one of those uppety, arrogant Gvillians that can't stomach change or are you actually from S. Green and just can't stand to see Gville win? Can someone please tell me what Greeneville has to gain by continuing to play up? Yeah, I heard Texas was bored with the NCAA and is moving to the NFC Central division next year. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Guest PoppycockProfessor

WOW... never thought I would see this? Might as well give G-ville then football conference championship for the next 25 years!

No no no...

That would be unfair to the other teams. Be considerate.

/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It is difficult to let go of Tradition! I myself hate to see us lose the rival teams of the IMAC, but often as we look back at the changes we make, we see it was and is for our best. GHS can, and has, competed with the best of the larger schools for years, but it is difficult for GHS to make it as far in playoffs as the larger schools. Especially with the new TSSAA set up, it makes it even that much more difficult. Having been around the GCS for a long time, I know that the powers that be are interested in seeing all aspects of its programs, including athletics, improve whether playing in AA of AAA.

My heart is totally crushed. I think that the former players and coaches that have played against the best that East Tennessee has had to offer is now going to some places that they haven't been. You can point fingers at whomever, but when it comes down to it-just win baby is the main reason for the move. I have tried to justify the move but I just can't do it. I never once heard Fred Sorrells say one thing about winning a state championship. He taught many of kids how to play football and place moral values above all else. Wining was what happened when you prepared will and executed the game plan. What would men like Gene King, Joe O??™Dell, Mike Franklin and Jack Blair have to say about this? Just Ask Them.