5A Playoffs

5A R1/R2 Playoff Predictions  

55 members have voted

1. 1. 5A R1/R2 Playoff Predictions

Dobyns-Bennett- Undefeated, easily the best team in this region right now. Top to bottom, very solid. Mobile QB, thunder and lightning pair of tailbacks, fast receivers, defense that flies to the ball. I'd be very suprised if they don't make some noise in the postseason this year.

Bearden- Knoxville area teams are pretty good as a whole with the exception of Karns (and they've just had some very bad luck, like science hill of last year). Bearden has a very good tailback, but key on him, and the QB is good enough to make some things happen. The defense is a talented group, and that tailback will be a starting corner for them too.

Science Hill- Much improved from last season, 7-2 with a chance to win the region provided they beat Dobyns-Bennett and Bearden loses this week. Their do it all QB is the main running option, plays FS, returns kicks, and even punts. A few injuries at WR, but a 6'6 jump baller remains. Very solid defense, the scheme is fun to watch, organized chaos.

Campbell County or Sevier County

CC is an option team who, when the offense works, can play with alot of teams. Their RB was leading the league with 981 yds and 14 TDs when they came to Johnson City to play us. Their QB is the coache's son, and he is fundamentally sound with the option, however when they played SH, only attempted 6 passes, and was 0-6, very one dimensional team. Can't play from behind with their offense. They tried and it didn't work. Defense is decent, but isn't the fastest group around. Vulnerable to outside plays, but they can usually hold their own inside the box.

SC is a pretty good team that specializes in throwing. Zac Flynn to Patrick Miller has been a common theme this season and it has worked well for them. The defense is a bit undersized, but they can all play. Miller will be at WR and in the secondary I believe. Hands down, he is their most athletic player, but key on him, and Zac Flynn will find somebody else. Pretty solid team, they scored 4 Tds in a row against us when we were killing them, and turned our blowout into a lucky win for science Hill.

Overall, region 2 is probably a better region top to bottom, but DB and Bearden are the most solid playoff teams coming out of Region 1. Likewise, I don't have enough info on region 2, so what should I expect come playoff time?

VERY GOOD ASSESSMENT!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen any of the Region 2 teams play but if history is any indicator then most years they are usually better at the top and deeper overall then Region 1.

Ooltewah - Campbell Co./Sevier Co.

More then likely this will be Campbell Co. as the Cougars should be able to exploit Karns weak run defense (even Sevier Co. ran all over them) and wrap up the final playoff spot. Doesn't really matter though because whoever plays here the Owls will totally dominate in a blowout. T$$AA cash grab game at its finest.

Farragut - Science Hill

DB should dispatch of the Toppers once again this Friday so that will drop SH into this slot. QB Kinley for the Toppers is a fine athlete who single handily destroyed us but I am assuming that the Ads will have a much better run defense then what we have so they should at least slow him down some and if they do SH will struggle. Farragut wins this one easily.

Bearden - Soddy Daisy

Above Ads and Toppers analogy can also apply here as this one falls on Soddy's run defense. Devrin Young is a very good RB for Bearden "but" if Daisy has any semblence of a rushing defence (again, unlike Sevier Co.) that at least can slow Young down some then they can win. Slow Young and SD has a good chance of beating Bearden because he is their offense (passing game wasn't very good the "few" attempts tried against Sevier Co.). Plus, if Soddy Daisy has a passing attack like others are saying then that can spell big trouble for Bearden also because they can definitley be had through the air. Should be the most competetive game of the first round.

McMinn - Kingsport DB

Oak Ridge has no shot tommorow night against the Ads so McMinn grabs the last spot. At first glance this should be Region 1's easiest chance for a victory, however, two things keep me from betting the house on the Tribe. DB's recent history of early exits (3 first round losses to a Region 2 fourth seed in the last 7 years I believe) and they haven't been nearly as impressive the last four weeks of the season (struggled at home to put away a very average Sevier Co. team). I am guessing that McMinn isn't quiet as strong as the previous 4th seeded teams have been so I will go with DB in this one (with a little trepidation) and predict that this will be Region 1's lone team to advance.

Farragut is in West Knoxville, about 5 miles down Kingston Pike from Bearden. To get there, take I-40 to Campbell Station Rd., take a left on Campbell Station Rd. Entrance is just before Kingston Pike on the left (about 1 or 2 miles from I40) (I believe you can see the light at Kingston Pike just before you see the school entrance).

Thanks thorough97, much appreciated /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thanks thorough97, much appreciated /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

YES . EXIT number 373 just in case you think you miss it or dont see signs. Take a left on campbell station pass through three lights then school will be on left there will be a small sign saying Farragut High School.

OK now that all the regular season has been played does everyone still feel the same as there earlier vote.

Looks like all of my original predictions are still in play. Only thing I will add is that there will be no Region 1 teams left in the playoffs after the second round.