Oak Ridge Football

coach1076

Funny... that story didn't get posted online.

I didn't see that online either but if he did say that he was being politically correct. What's he gonna say? Yeah we stink and so does our coach? Come on, Mullins ain't the prob here.

Oh, and I heard the same rumor but I have yet to confirm it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was Mullin's fault, I just relayed what he said in the paper.

But as a loyal fan of over 35 years, I would expect him to say something like this, "The football season didn't go as well as any of us would have liked. Now that it's over, we will certainly evaluate all aspects of the football program and look at making the changes necessary to get back to the level of play the town of Oak Ridge is accustomed to."

I didn't say it was Mullin's fault, I just relayed what he said in the paper.

But as a loyal fan of over 35 years, I would expect him to say something like this, "The football season didn't go as well as any of us would have liked. Now that it's over, we will certainly evaluate all aspects of the football program and look at making the changes necessary to get back to the level of play the town of Oak Ridge is accustomed to."

That would be a leading statement though. I hope we hear soon.

I talked to a person recently who is in a position to know what the status of Stevens is and he said nothing has been decided yet. Some people have already made up their mind (Mullins most likely) but they're still talking about it. If they don't fire Stevens, I expect he will be forced to clean house with his staff and bring in all new guys. I actually would be satisfied with that happening...Stanton is a good person I think, he has just made terrible choices with his staff. If he can get some proven high school coaches around him to help him out who won't just do the bare minimum required, then I think the team has a chance to be better next year. Switching to a more traditional offensive scheme like the Wing-T would also be very beneficial to that team.

Stevens won't even show up for the weekly radio show or take calls from the community. When is the last time he took questions from the media? He has no respect from the players, parents, fellow teachers, students or community. Heck, when 150 fans show up for a home game you know you've hit bottom. It's time to Buck Up and move on.

Ram Dad

Any truth to the rumor that a former OR coach may leave Middle Tennessee and make his way back home to take over the program?

I dont know the situation, but as an outsider from the things that I have read it looks like the offense is the major problem. Who is the OC? & who is this smith guy that resigned, an assisstant coach the OC maybe? I would think that the OC should step down if he is the problem. But, sometimes a change has to be made at the top. I dont know it is all very hard choices to make. Maybe they just need a new strength coach as someone earlier stated that they are not strong up front & not very well conditioned.

Many things to be considered, but one things for sure if they are firing Stevens they should do it soon so they can begin a search quickly. If they are keeping him then he should prob make some changes or additions to the staff. If he is still there Oak Ridge needs to back him & that team 100% & see how next year goes.

Good luck

Stevens was the offensive coordinator. He's changed the scheme every year which is a big part of the problem. The players haven't been able to get comfortable in one scheme.

Well the answer may be for Stevens to bring in an OC with proven success maybe even someone that has been a head coach somewhere. Then Stevens can concentrate more on the overall responsibilities of a head coach & be equally involved on both sides of the ball. This will also allow him to get the man calling the offensive plays up top in the box where he can truly see everything the defense is giving them.

I dont know the situation, but as an outsider from the things that I have read it looks like the offense is the major problem. Who is the OC? & who is this smith guy that resigned, an assisstant coach the OC maybe? I would think that the OC should step down if he is the problem. But, sometimes a change has to be made at the top. I dont know it is all very hard choices to make. Maybe they just need a new strength coach as someone earlier stated that they are not strong up front & not very well conditioned.

Many things to be considered, but one things for sure if they are firing Stevens they should do it soon so they can begin a search quickly. If they are keeping him then he should prob make some changes or additions to the staff. If he is still there Oak Ridge needs to back him & that team 100% & see how next year goes.

Good luck

You think that is a hot rumor, I just heard that Stanton Stevens entered a Randy Jackson (from American Idol) look a like contest last weekend, I also heard Bailey is really upset about it.

I'm not bashing the coach by any means, just stating my opinion. I don't think the zone spread offensive scheme fit with these particular players. To run the zone spread affectively there are two things you absolutely have to have for it to work. One is lineman with good agility that can run AND get their hands on the defender out in space. This group was huge but not quick or agile. I think they would have done better with a more traditional scheme where they could come of the ball and know who they were supposed to block man on man or know who to double team.

The other thing you absolutely have to have is excellent receivers and depth at receiver. Our best receiver was removed from the team, the second best was moved to tailback and that left us a first year senior basketball player and another basketball player with little to no experience as a starter. These two are terrific kids, they just didn't have the experience to be difference makers. They were sort of thrown into the starting role and it just didn't work out.

This is just the way I see the offensive troubles this particular season. So, I just don't think the scheme fit this group of players. But I also understand that if you decide to change your scheme you have to go for it 100% and stick with it, and that's what they tried to do. It just didn't work out for this group. I just hope this next group understands how hard you have to work to be good. My 2 cents