HERITAGE MOUNTAINEERS FOOTBALL

scoot91

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stanton Stevens is now available! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Seriously, these are the obstacles Heritage Football faces:

1. Poor attitude and work ethic on the part of athletes.

2. Parents who involve themselves beyond their roles in the program.

3. Poor support by many staff at the high school. ("So, how bad are you gonna get beat tonight?" actual quotes reported by athletes).

4. Excluding the practice and playing fields, athletic facilities are fair to poor. The weight room is pitiful and the locker rooms are terrible.

5. Failure to assemble a winning football staff.

There are more, but these stick out. Any coach who goes to Heritage will have to have the ability to assemble his staff. He will have to be able to run the program, including firing athletes who continuiously screw up off the field. He will have to be a disciplinarian whose authority is respected by players and parents. He has to be willing to break eggs. It is a thick fog of a losing mentality that has to be cleared. I'm just not sure anyone at HHS has the guts to be hard on the kids, pushing them to be more than they are.

I must disagree with you on one point,(poor attitude and work ethic on part of athletes) THATS BULL!!! If the attitude and work ethic was that bad why did they go out week after week and get walked on and keep coming back? The other 4 I do agree with you on. Not starting any coach bashing, but very important strength and conditioning exercises were not done at all such as squats. We had so many knee injuries (acl &mcl) Everyone I have talked with has said that squats build the legs and knee's to prevent these injuries.Rewis was a good man,but overlooked a few critical points that really cost them. As scoot has said, it will take a great coach and staff to turn this program around but it can be done.The heritage kids have alot of pride in the school, now they need a coaching staff to take pride in them.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> HANG TOUGH MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I must disagree with you on one point,(poor attitude and work ethic on part of athletes) THATS BULL!!! If the attitude and work ethic was that bad why did they go out week after week and get walked on and keep coming back? The other 4 I do agree with you on. Not starting any coach bashing, but very important strength and conditioning exercises were not done at all such as squats. We had so many knee injuries (acl &mcl) Everyone I have talked with has said that squats build the legs and knee's to prevent these injuries.Rewis was a good man,but overlooked a few critical points that really cost them. As scoot has said, it will take a great coach and staff to turn this program around but it can be done.The heritage kids have alot of pride in the school, now they need a coaching staff to take pride in them.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> HANG TOUGH MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm sorry you feel that way about the attitude and work ethic. The fact is that it simply is very, very lacking. The few who do work cannot make up for the many that do not. But then, that goes back to coaching. Attitude reflects the values of the head coach and the assistant coaches. As I noted, it will take a totally new staff. Everyone will have to apply. There will be some people who are bitter and feel like they are getting screwed, but, hey, that's life. Anyone associated with HHS football should want the best for the athletes they are coaching. If that means stepping aside then there should be no hard feelings.

The saddest thing is that for the past ten years, no senior has a memory of a winning season. This last team walked off the field 1-9. That is what they will take with them and relive for the rest of their lives. Any coach that puts his ego and arrogance above welfare of the kids he coaches and the community he represents deserves neither sympathy nor respect.

Heritage can win. The kids are there to win. But as you and others have noted it will take a heck of a head coach and a staff of competent, enthusiastic, and knowledgable assistants to turn it around. I hope Chip Fuller can make the hard and right decisions.

Thanks for getting it back on track. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I was told the decision will be made soon. To answer the other ? about the names, Mike Pearson, & John McBreyer have been the only two for sure names I have heard. I ask one of the assistants last night at the freshman basketball game if he had heard anything and he said that it hadnt been discussed with any of last years coaches, so he is in the dark also. I think Chip is doing the right thing and taken his time, trying to get the perfect fit for the program. I think we all will be surprised when the cat is let out of the bag. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

McBrayer did not apply, really likes Seymour and is not looking to move, I talked to him last night about Oak Ridge.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the attitude and work ethic. The fact is that it simply is very, very lacking. The few who do work cannot make up for the many that do not. But then, that goes back to coaching. Attitude reflects the values of the head coach and the assistant coaches. As I noted, it will take a totally new staff. Everyone will have to apply. There will be some people who are bitter and feel like they are getting screwed, but, hey, that's life. Anyone associated with HHS football should want the best for the athletes they are coaching. If that means stepping aside then there should be no hard feelings.

The saddest thing is that for the past ten years, no senior has a memory of a winning season. This last team walked off the field 1-9. That is what they will take with them and relive for the rest of their lives. Any coach that puts his ego and arrogance above welfare of the kids he coaches and the community he represents deserves neither sympathy nor respect.

Heritage can win. The kids are there to win. But as you and others have noted it will take a heck of a head coach and a staff of competent, enthusiastic, and knowledgable assistants to turn it around. I hope Chip Fuller can make the hard and right decisions.

I took it you were saying lack of work ethic from the entire team, sorry /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> And yes I agree that a few couldnt carry the whole team, I think most all had the heart but were never given the chance to prove it.(there were a few slackers that just wanted to wear a jersey) Playing all your fast guys and all the big guys on both sides of the ball for the entire game is just a recipe for disaster.But all that as well goes back to a coaching staff that can get the other guys in the school wanting to come out and bust heads.

McBrayer did not apply, really likes Seymour and is not looking to move, I talked to him last night about Oak Ridge.

Thanks for the update. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I was at the Basketball game last night and didn't notice anybody there out of the ordinary. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thanks for the update. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I was at the Basketball game last night and didn't notice anybody there out of the ordinary. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I have heard that none of the assistants are coming back. Were they tied to Rewis? You can have Bobby Bowden as your head coach but you better have some good assistants. Even GQ will tell you that.

I have heard that none of the assistants are coming back. Were they tied to Rewis? You can have Bobby Bowden as your head coach but you better have some good assistants. Even GQ will tell you that.

Just as graduation can help a program, retirement will help HHS. The problem for any new coach coming into HHS is that there a few teaching positions open. There are some young men in the school system that would be an asset to any program, but getting them interested in coaching at HHS (other opportunities are available with better programs) is another matter. The next head coach needs to know quality coaches when he sees them and then let the do their job. Rewis was a micro manager. A successful head coach needs to know how to coach coaches.

HHS has had ONE winning season since 1997. (Source HHS Football Record since 1997) They are 27 - 93. That's a .225 winning percentage. That is a tremendous amount of baggage. It will take a crusader, someone who really believes he can win here and instill that belief in the student body, community, and the players. It can be done. It has been done. The question is does HHS community want it bad enough to do something about it?

I can name a couple that should return.... The Freshman coach (Leatherwood) for sure needs to be involved, he's a class act and the kids love playing for him. He has a good knowledge of football and a great motivator. Jed West, & Nelson should also return, both are good coachs and get a lot from the kids. I would hate to se any of them go. It all will boil down to the new head man and what he wants to do. The Heritage commnity will have to support his decision and move forward or they will be in the same shape as they are now. All I can say is it's time for a turn around, whatever it takes.

I can name a couple that should return.... The Freshman coach (Leatherwood) for sure needs to be involved, he's a class act and the kids love playing for him. He has a good knowledge of football and a great motivator. Jed West, & Nelson should also return, both are good coachs and get a lot from the kids. I would hate to se any of them go. It all will boil down to the new head man and what he wants to do. The Heritage commnity will have to support his decision and move forward or they will be in the same shape as they are now. All I can say is it's time for a turn around, whatever it takes.

I heard Leatherwood was looking to go to William Blount. Any truth to that? Also have heard that John Young has been to a lot of Maryville practices. He was even seen there the week before they went to state. More recruiting by GQ?

I heard Leatherwood was looking to go to William Blount. Any truth to that? Also have heard that John Young has been to a lot of Maryville practices. He was even seen there the week before they went to state. More recruiting by GQ?

I think Leatherwood will stay at Heritage and as for Young going to Maryville, not so sure about that. Who no's?