Brentwood Academy vs. Ensworth

moose

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Ensworth is the favorite going into the game but BA will be a very tough opponent. Ensworth was very badly beaten in the previous two encounters, can they break BA's hold on them? How will Ensworth's game be changed by playing guys just as athletic?

I think they're in a position where they need to play back-to-back games on a level with the game they played against MBA. That's a tall order.

I think they're in a position where they need to play back-to-back games on a level with the game they played against MBA. That's a tall order.

I am sticking with my pick of BA from 3 weeks ago, but this should be a very interesting game.

Defensively, BA can do a better job of controlling the run than anyone Ensworth has faced.

If BA will keep pounding it on the ground on offense, they will push the Tigers down the field.

The question marks are:

1) Can EHS consistently drive through the air?

2) Will BA keep the ball out of the air for the most part?

3) Can Potter coach on the same plane with Bowers?

3 consecutive weeks of a real DII schedule wear the Tigers down. BA manages to salvage their season and goes to the Championship.

I am sticking with my pick of BA from 3 weeks ago, but this should be a very interesting game.

Defensively, BA can do a better job of controlling the run than anyone Ensworth has faced.

If BA will keep pounding it on the ground on offense, they will push the Tigers down the field.

The question marks are:

1) Can EHS consistently drive through the air?

2) Will BA keep the ball out of the air for the most part?

3) Can Potter coach on the same plane with Bowers?

3 consecutive weeks of a real DII schedule wear the TIgers down. BA manages to salvage their season and goes to the Championship.

This will be a huge challenge for both teams. Ensworth has not faced a defensive line like BA's all season, and BA has not faced a running game like Ensworth's all season. This game will be a battle that is won on the front lines. The team that can run the ball and stop the run the best will win the game. I am going to go with the tigers because of their big play ability in the running game.

EHS-28

BA-24

Thought these were nice compliments since McCallie has faced Ensworth, BA, and MBA this season

Ensworth gets up to speed

Tigers get rematch with BA next week

By Jeff Lockridge

THE TENNESSEAN

There was nail-biting in the Ensworth bleachers. Inside the locker room, Tiger players were irritated and anxious.

Then halftime ended, and all those first-round upset fears vanished.

Ensworth reached the end zone on its first four possessions of the second half and won its first home playoff game in school history 34-17 over McCallie on Friday in a Division II-AA quarterfinal.

Junior tailback Orleans Darkwa rushed for 252 yards and four touchdowns and senior quarterback Tavarres Jefferson ran for 163 yards and one score, helping Ensworth erase a 10-6 halftime deficit.

"We weren't executing well in the first half," Darkwa said. "We knew we had to come back out and ram it down their throat.

"Once we got that first touchdown (in the second half), everybody relaxed. But we had to get in there and do the same thing again."

Ensworth (11-0) hosts Brentwood Academy (7-4) in a state semifinal Friday.

BA routed Ensworth in the same round last year, 42-13.

McCallie (6-5) took Ensworth to double-overtime during the regular season before falling 37-36. This time a tiring defense and missed opportunities prevented the Blue Tornado from keeping it close.

"They looked like they knew what we were doing there at the end," McCallie defensive lineman R.J. Enderle said. "Early on we were reading their guards and I don't think they were ready for that. Then in the second half they started doing misdirection with their guards, and that screwed us all up.

"(Jefferson) is the best athlete in the league by far, and their offensive line was the best we've faced all season."

Ensworth needed three plays to score once it received the second-half kickoff. Darkwa broke a 52-yard run up the middle to make it 12-10.

McCallie had a chance to answer but was stopped on fourth-and-inches at the Ensworth 29 after quarterback Keenon Rush fumbled while pulling the handoff back from Joey Skogen.

The Tigers kept the momentum going with a seven-play, 71-yard drive, capped by a 22-yard run from Darkwa. Jefferson's two-point run made it 20-10.

"The difference was we tightened up," Ensworth lineman Will Netterville said. "We made a lot of mistakes, and we corrected a lot of those at halftime."

Jefferson's option pitch to Darkwa at the last possible moment produced a 37-yard score to put Ensworth up 27-10.

When Rush's fourth-down pass for John Burkus was broken up early in the fourth quarter, it was all but over.

"I don't think we had great energy when we started the game," Ensworth Coach Ricky Bowers said. "But we had good bounce-back."

Thought these were nice compliments since McCallie has faced Ensworth, BA, and MBA this season

Ensworth gets up to speed

Tigers get rematch with BA next week

By Jeff Lockridge

THE TENNESSEAN

There was nail-biting in the Ensworth bleachers. Inside the locker room, Tiger players were irritated and anxious.

Then halftime ended, and all those first-round upset fears vanished.

Ensworth reached the end zone on its first four possessions of the second half and won its first home playoff game in school history 34-17 over McCallie on Friday in a Division II-AA quarterfinal.

Junior tailback Orleans Darkwa rushed for 252 yards and four touchdowns and senior quarterback Tavarres Jefferson ran for 163 yards and one score, helping Ensworth erase a 10-6 halftime deficit.

"We weren't executing well in the first half," Darkwa said. "We knew we had to come back out and ram it down their throat.

"Once we got that first touchdown (in the second half), everybody relaxed. But we had to get in there and do the same thing again."

Ensworth (11-0) hosts Brentwood Academy (7-4) in a state semifinal Friday.

BA routed Ensworth in the same round last year, 42-13.

McCallie (6-5) took Ensworth to double-overtime during the regular season before falling 37-36. This time a tiring defense and missed opportunities prevented the Blue Tornado from keeping it close.

"They looked like they knew what we were doing there at the end," McCallie defensive lineman R.J. Enderle said. "Early on we were reading their guards and I don't think they were ready for that. Then in the second half they started doing misdirection with their guards, and that screwed us all up.

"(Jefferson) is the best athlete in the league by far, and their offensive line was the best we've faced all season."

Ensworth needed three plays to score once it received the second-half kickoff. Darkwa broke a 52-yard run up the middle to make it 12-10.

McCallie had a chance to answer but was stopped on fourth-and-inches at the Ensworth 29 after quarterback Keenon Rush fumbled while pulling the handoff back from Joey Skogen.

The Tigers kept the momentum going with a seven-play, 71-yard drive, capped by a 22-yard run from Darkwa. Jefferson's two-point run made it 20-10.

"The difference was we tightened up," Ensworth lineman Will Netterville said. "We made a lot of mistakes, and we corrected a lot of those at halftime."

Jefferson's option pitch to Darkwa at the last possible moment produced a 37-yard score to put Ensworth up 27-10.

When Rush's fourth-down pass for John Burkus was broken up early in the fourth quarter, it was all but over.

"I don't think we had great energy when we started the game," Ensworth Coach Ricky Bowers said. "But we had good bounce-back."

Im going with BA. Not only has Ensworth not faced a line like BA's, but they havn't faced a run game like it either. Ensworth will not have as many big plays because of BA's speed. I think BA will come to win and they will. BA's D is only week in the seconday, and Ensworth can't pass. I think an injusry free MBA d line would ahve been a good test for Ensworth, but they didn't get that.

as much as i dont like admitting this, BA will win this game. ensworths inability to throw the ball and create a balanced offense will hurt them. BA's d-line is extremely good, probably the most effective part of the team. yes, ensworth can run the ball with jefferson and darkwa but i'd be very surprised if BA's d-line isn't able to slow them down or stop them all together.

BA-28

Ens.-14

I think to win, BA has got to play without mistakes . . . something that they really haven't been able to do this year. If they can hold onto the ball, not throw the pic, eliminate the stupid penalties and make the extra points they should win.

Of course, as I read back on this post, Any team that does those things usually wins . . .

Here is a summary of BA's opponents to date:

Aug. 22 Independence W 27-14

Aug. 29 at Ravenwood L 21-22

Sep. 5 McCallie W 17-3

Sep. 11 Smyrna W 21-10

Sep. 19 at Baylor W 42-21

Sep. 26 at Prattville, AL L 0-26

Oct. 3 at Pope John Paul II W 43-3

Oct. 10 MBA L 7-13

Oct. 17 BGA W 28-6

Oct. 31 at Father Ryan L 23-27

Nov. 7 at Briarcrest Christian W 40-6

Independence 5A 4-6

Ravenwood 5A 6-5 Up-and-down team with wins vs 10-1 5A Brentwood High.

McCallie II-AA 6-5 with 4 of the 5 losses coming from Ensworth, BA or MBA. Other loss was to 10-1 5A Franklin 36-35.

Smyrna 5A 7-4

Baylor II-AA 5-5

Prattville AL 9-1. Only loss was to Cincinnati St. X 15-10 in game #1.

JPII II-AA 3-7

MBA II-AA 10-1

BGA II-AA 8-3 Lost to Brentwood Academy 28-3, Lost to Ensworth 28-14, Lost to MUS 49-21

Ryan II-AA 5-5 Another up and-down team. Beat BA, lost to BGA 7-3, lost to McCallie 21-0, lost to Ensworth 38-25 (despite leading with 2 mins left).

Briarcrest II-AA 7-4 Lost to MUS 48-7 and to BGA 35-21