Brentwood Academy vs. Ensworth

moose

I have to agree...the team was emotional, played very hard, and Coach Potter has tweaked the offense a great deal. He ran a lot of the winged t and option like he did at McCallie, and he was able to get several playmakers involved in the offense. The Defense was again very good, just BA's best showing.

I think Coach Potter is winning over the team after some extremely tough losses, followed by some VERY demanding practices and challenges. Many have commented on BA teams of recent years not playing with the same intensity of years past, and I think that is true. There has been a gradual slide that is hard to explain, but I think Ralph has definitely got his finger on what has ailed this program and he is doing the right things to bring back that edge and intangibles that BA was known for.

I don't see BA (or any team) returning to the dominance they once had, the schedules and competition are just too tough year in and year out, but I see BA's reputation of playing hard, smart, and tough returning. I think as of late they are known for talent that has underachieved--I predict in the years to come they will be known for their toughness, discipline, and execution...and if they can continue to have some talent (they will), wow...

I would think that a big part of the challenge of coaching high school kids is that each year everything is new. You have a new group of seniors, new leadership on the team, and new chemistry. The coaches have to figure out how to motivate each group. You have kids who suddenly make an impact you never expected, and kids you were counting on hit teenage crazy. It is a really tough job, and I applaud those coaches that do it well.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote Kwoodroof: Odd...none of the Ensworth supporters have offered congrats to BA, or wished them good luck next week. Hmmmmm....

Perhaps not this site, but quite a few did in person.

The game was quality entertainment, and to a person every fan and player I encountered had only positive comments about the referees, the players on both teams and their coaches. The EHS team had played and won 11 games, giving it their all, and by last night the sidelines, as one parent put it, looked like a MASH unit. It didn't help that both of EHS's "star" backs were injured in the first half, Tavarres with an ankle sprain and Orleans with a possible concussion. In wet weather the game was a great effort on both sides, and for the most part great fun to watch. BA absolutely brought their "A" game and kept it up for four quarters, and for that they earned a big win.

I believe many serious fans have moved on from this site, possibly because of the number of unsupervised middle schoolers with internet access. Which is too bad, as the informed posters truly contribute to the marketplace of ideas and can make football season more fun for the dedicated spectator. BA's players, coaches and parents deserve sincere congratulations and carry with them many best wishes to Murfreesboro.

To quote Kwoodroof: Odd...none of the Ensworth supporters have offered congrats to BA, or wished them good luck next week. Hmmmmm....

The game was quality entertainment, and to a person every fan and player I encountered had only positive comments about the referees, the players on both teams and their coaches. eans The EHS team had played and won 11 games, giving it their all, and by last night the sidelines, as one parent put it, looked like a MASH unit. It didn't help that both of EHS's "star" backs were injured in the first half, Tavarres with an ankle sprain and Orlwith a possible concussion. In wet weather the game was a great effort on both sides, and for the most part great fun to watch. BA absolutely brought their "A" game and kept it up for four quarters, and for that they earned a big win.

I believe many serious fans have moved on from this site, possibly because of the number of unsupervised middle schoolers with internet access. Which is too bad, as the informed posters truly contribute to the marketplace of ideas and can make football season more fun for the dedicated spectator. BA's players, coaches and parents deserve sincere congratulations and carry with them many best wishes to Murfreesboro.

I have nothing but good things to say to Ensworth but i do wonder about three things. Why was Darkwa allowed to return after a clear concussion?Why would you not want to be able to say that "we were put out by the eventual winners"?Do you not realize that we walked in quite a bit banged up ?Our starting tailback never touched the ball.That was our back up Sophomore tailback that you saw and even he got injured last night.

The game was quality entertainment, and to a person every fan and player I encountered had only positive comments about the referees, the players on both teams and their coaches. The EHS team had played and won 11 games, giving it their all, and by last night the sidelines, as one parent put it, looked like a MASH unit. It didn't help that both of EHS's "star" backs were injured in the first half, Tavarres with an ankle sprain and Orleans with a possible concussion. In wet weather the game was a great effort on both sides, and for the most part great fun to watch. BA absolutely brought their "A" game and kept it up for four quarters, and for that they earned a big win.

You've pegged it quite well. There are some classy adult posters from EHS (EHS Parent comes to mind, i enjoy his perspective). The children have made it a lot less fun; between them and the recruiting crowd, there's almost nobody from BA left.

The MASH unit comment is very relevant. That's going to be Ensworth's achilles heel for all time.

You've pegged it quite well. There are some classy adult posters from EHS (EHS Parent comes to mind, i enjoy his perspective). The children have made it a lot less fun; between them and the recruiting crowd, there's almost nobody from BA left.

The MASH unit comment is very relevant. That's going to be Ensworth's achilles heel for all time.

Just as relevant as Victor Caro,Josh Tate and the rest of the B.A. mash unit.

You know, it's a shame. I was excited about the game last night and looking forward to getting some good perspectives from people that were at the game. I appreciate the few good posts about the game, but there have only been a few . . .

You know, it's a shame. I was excited about the game last night and looking forward to getting some good perspectives from people that were at the game. I appreciate the few good posts about the game, but there have only been a few . . .

I agree with both parts of this post. It was a very well played, exciting game. BA was clearly the better team for the first 28 minutes or so, and then, led by an amazingly gutsy performance by Tavarres Jefferson, Ensworth was the better team for the last 20 minutes or so--- so the score turned out about right. BA dominated the line of scrimmage thru the first half, but Ensworth seemed to make some adjustments, or maybe just started playing better on the line midway thru the third quarter. The great big holes for BA's backs weren't there anymore, they stopped gaining 3 yards after contact on every carry and they had to punt on their last 3 possessions (having scored on their first four), and Ensworth's backs got some running room. Giving Tavarres room to run, even hobbled with a bad ankle, is dangerous, as shown by his 60 yard TD run when practically every BA defender had a shot at him and he scored even though he looked like he had to drag his bad leg the last 20 yards. I'm not sure what Darkwa's problem was , but I got a pretty good, close look at him walking off the field at half time and he looked fine, so I wasn't surprised he got back in the game in the 2d half. He played well, gained more than 100 yards, and looked fine after the game. BA has some outstanding linemen--- it wouldn't surprise me if 3 of them wind up in the SEC. When they needed a big stop on 4th and 1 with a minute to go and Ensworth driving, they got it (by 3 inches, which was a good as a mile), and that was the ball game. Cody Nelson played a very solid, pretty much error free game at QB, and their backs ran very hard and were explosive-- especially Caro. I had a hard time believing they'd lost four games. If they show up and play like that next week, MUS will have a real fight on their hands--- it sounds like the MBA score was a little deceiving, given the turn overs etc. BA made very few mistakes on Friday, and if they can repeat that performance, I think they've got a great shot at keeping the gold ball in Middle Tennessee. Congratulations to the Eagles on a solid performance and a great win, and good luck in the Championship Game. KW, I hope that helps. And kids, you really don't impress anybody when you talk like jerks-- I'll guarantee you that none of the players on either team would talk that way-- they've all got too much respect for the way they all knocked the fool out of each other for 48 minutes last night-- you could learn a lesson from that. End of old guy speech.

I have nothing but good things to say to Ensworth but i do wonder about three things. Why was Darkwa allowed to return after a clear concussion?Why would you not want to be able to say that "we were put out by the eventual winners"?Do you not realize that we walked in quite a bit banged up ?Our starting tailback never touched the ball.That was our back up Sophomore tailback that you saw and even he got injured last night.

Darkwa was taken out of his cleats on the kickoff return, he tried to get up and fell face down.

He was out like a KO' d boxer. I was really suprised to see him back the second half.

I don't want to second guess the EHS staff BUT.....should he have been in there the second half?

I know it's the playoff, blah blah blah, but we are talking about your brain being rattled in your skull if he had a concussion. I hope he is OK, between him and BA's #28/#32 they will be the best backs in Tenneessee next year.

Congrats to EHS, great year.

BA will need to PLAY all 4 quarters against MUS not just 2 or 3.

It will have to be a complete game with no let down 3rd or 4th quarter or MUS will take home the Gold Ball.

BA's secondary will need to work extra this week to prepare for the best passing QB they will see all year.

Good luck BA.