Wells fired as Blackman head football coach

CommonSenseMD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think coaching changes, hires, and fires should be on hold till after the playoffs. This time right now belongs to those teams and coaches that got it done and are playing for championships. The spotlight belongs on them.

I also don't think the TSSAA should be having reclassification meetings right now and individual awards should be on hold until after the playoffs. I've always thought the timing of the Mr Football awards was odd. That's just me...I think the total focus should be on those teams in the playoffs.

Agree 100%

A GOOD one, NOT from METRO, that does NOT run the WingT hopefully!

While Coach A is a VERY good person the TEAM has been steadily getting WORSE since he has gotten here.

This years team is the first that is purely his and they went 5-5 this year and did NOT make the playoffs for the first time since 1990.

While the Gold Ball is NOT expected every year, it IS expected that you will be in the playoffs at the VERY LEAST!

Hillsboro maybe satisfied with just 9 wins a year, but at Riverdale it does NOT cut it!

The present staff at hillsboro is 33-5 and thats eleven wins per year and a state runner up. I wouldn't say that Hillsboro is in no way satisfied. I'm sure the Burro's presently would be glad to schedule Riverdale. But realize everyone has to reload on occasion.

The present staff at hillsboro is 33-5 and thats eleven wins per year and a state runner up. I wouldn't say that Hillsboro is in no way satisfied. I'm sure the Burro's presently would be glad to schedule Riverdale. But realize everyone has to reload on occasion.

Tell that to Maryville! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

When you are used to going to the BIG dance 6 years in a row like R'dale did reloading is NOT the problem! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Take a little UNBIASED look at the 2004 team for R'dale and see what IS possible. 15-0 with '8' shutouts against opponents!

What is lacking now at R'dale is discipline and DEFENSE, NOT talent!

Good point TDC. There are 15 games possible, and until Rankin left, 15 games were also probable.

Is it possible that the landscape changing in Rutherford County has as much to do with Riverdale's performance(more schools, etc...) as coaching? Diluting the talent base can be a big issue - remember that ravenwood and brentwood were combined just 5 years ago. just a thought.

Is it possible that the landscape changing in Rutherford County has as much to do with Riverdale's performance(more schools, etc...) as coaching? Diluting the talent base can be a big issue - remember that ravenwood and brentwood were combined just 5 years ago. just a thought.

There is probably more to this than any of the other theories out there. Schools go throught cycles with kids. New middle schools open up and shift better kids to other zones as well. The time of one school dominating Rutherford County has probably come and gone.

There is probably more to this than any of the other theories out there. Schools go throught cycles with kids. New middle schools open up and shift better kids to other zones as well. The time of one school dominating Rutherford County has probably come and gone.

In theory this make sense but as someone who has coached at the middle school level in Rutherford county I can say that rutherford county probably has the most competitive middle school leagues in all of Tn there wil lbe cycles of down years for teams but this is better for the high schools the kids have to learn how to compete at an early age as opposed to all of the studs playing for one middle school and one high school and dominating everyone they face.

I believe it to be a factor, but a slight one at best. I cannot recall what year Blackman opened, but I know it was prior to Siegel's opening which was in 2002. Blackman took the majority of their students from the Riverdale zone, just as Siegel took the majority of their students from the Oakland zone. With that being said, Riverdale continued to dominate in football until this season, which is well beyond the opening of Blackman and/or Siegel. Riverdale baseball dominated the early part of this decade despite the prescence of Blackman and Siegel. Possibly the best argument for the opening of the new schools depleting the talent level can be made for the Oakland basketball team. However, in my opinion, they are still a dominant program as Coach King wins 20+ games a year and the biggest factor in many of those players attending Siegel was that they couldn't handle the discipline administered to be a part of Coach King's program.

The bottom line with domination is that when a program is winning, parents will do whatever is necessary to get their kids involved with that program. Along similar lines, many parents will do anything to place their child at a particular school based on academics or sometimes social status. I know many parents rent an apartment in the Siegel zone simply so their child can attend school there.

I think Brentwood/Ravenwood is a similar situation, but Brentwood is still a power in football due in large part to Coach Crawford, one of the best coaches in the state in my opinion.

Something I like to think about quite often is this: What if Murfreesboro had only one high school like in the old days? Can you imagine that DOMINATION in EVERY sport out there? Sure, a lot of kids wouldn't get to play and there can only be one head coach of each team and all of that politically correct stuff, but can you imagine the teams the Boro could produce?

Something I like to think about quite often is this: What if Murfreesboro had only one high school like in the old days? Can you imagine that DOMINATION in EVERY sport out there? Sure, a lot of kids wouldn't get to play and there can only be one head coach of each team and all of that politically correct stuff, but can you imagine the teams the Boro could produce?

You also have to keep that in mind for every other city that produces great football in this state.

I believe it to be a factor, but a slight one at best. I cannot recall what year Blackman opened, but I know it was prior to Siegel's opening which was in 2002. Blackman took the majority of their students from the Riverdale zone, just as Siegel took the majority of their students from the Oakland zone. With that being said, Riverdale continued to dominate in football until this season, which is well beyond the opening of Blackman and/or Siegel. Riverdale baseball dominated the early part of this decade despite the prescence of Blackman and Siegel. Possibly the best argument for the opening of the new schools depleting the talent level can be made for the Oakland basketball team. However, in my opinion, they are still a dominant program as Coach King wins 20+ games a year and the biggest factor in many of those players attending Siegel was that they couldn't handle the discipline administered to be a part of Coach King's program.

The bottom line with domination is that when a program is winning, parents will do whatever is necessary to get their kids involved with that program. Along similar lines, many parents will do anything to place their child at a particular school based on academics or sometimes social status. I know many parents rent an apartment in the Siegel zone simply so their child can attend school there.

I think Brentwood/Ravenwood is a similar situation, but Brentwood is still a power in football due in large part to Coach Crawford, one of the best coaches in the state in my opinion.

Can you imagine the cafeteria and bathroom lines? /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />