GreenBank Ladies Classic

tricitiessportsfan

I understand all of the close games SCHS has lost. Mo. West is a good team, but imo Wilson Central is a much better team. I think that Taylor Hall from West is a good player, but not in the same class as Jasmine Harrell of Wilson Central. Also, I think that WC is a much better coached team that Mo. West. I know that SCHS has had some nice late season runs in the past few years and this comment is taking nothing away from that. The main questions that I had were the lack of effort that I saw from the players and change in the coaching style of Burkey. Enough said on my part.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Central is the biggest team I have seen so far in Tennessee. They have a large number of people on their team AND they are also a tall-beefy team. I think the next biggest team is DB. We play DB today and I think it will be a struggle for us-MW. We are not large, Hall is our biggest player, with the next biggest starter being Smith at 138 LBS. We will have to run them to death to win.

CockeCounty could have given WC a better game. They were obviously tight and they fouled Iashia Hassell so many times it was stupid. Their was no need for all of the over the backs she got. Not smart playing on their part.

I agree that (older) Hassel is better than Hall--she is better than Dickson. That will be a GAME.

Isn't Wilson Central one of those "basketball schools" like Livingston Acadamy and McMinn Central and Maryville in football that everybody who thinks their kids have talent moves to so they can get a college scholarship?

As to the coaching, it is easy to be a "good coach" with all of that talent and size sitting on the bench. For a local team (with a MUCH lower population draw) which is not a "basketball school," MW, Cocke Co, and Greeneville have done extrememly well.

Also, South Greene wins my vote for the scrappiest team in the tourney so far. I have to say, they don't mind running the fast break down and giving a chuck and getting the foul. I don't think I have ever seen so many obviously deliberate fouls. I assume that that is for intimidation?

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yesterday, Shelbyville played perhaps the best team, and one of, if not The best player, in the

tournament, and lost by nineteen. Before that, they split with now, 11-and-two Riverdale.

The other three losses - to nine-and-two McGavock by three; to undefeated Mt. Juliet by

two; and to Wilson Central by three - were obviously all winnable games. So, Shelbyville is

eight points from ten-and-two.

Not a very tall team, but you know much better than me, about their late-season runs.

I will not use this venue to give a scouting report on SC. I, too, was dismayed by the way SC lost to Morristown W. Coach Burkey and his staff work diligently to prepare the team for the opposition. Maybe it was just one of those games, where MW wanted to prove something. After all Coach Burkey has coached against MW before since his days at OR and Greeneville. Maybe it was just an off day for the Eaglettes. Previous scores against quality teams show that SC can perform at a high level. The best teams sometimes don't show up and play their best. Coach Burkey will reevaluate the situation and make the necessary decisions. Hats off to MW they have a fine team and should do well in their district and region with the capapbility of making it to Murfreesboro. SC has the same opportunity, with the girls on the same page, they too can go a long way on the tournament trail. Greeneville is the best girls tournament in the State without a doubt. The teams are really competitive, the fans are knowledgeable and dedicated, and the administrators are first class in how they run the tournament. No wonder so many coaches want to bring their teams to this venue during the holidays. It is first class all the way.

Wilson Central is the biggest team I have seen so far in Tennessee. They have a large number of people on their team AND they are also a tall-beefy team. I think the next biggest team is DB. We play DB today and I think it will be a struggle for us-MW. We are not large, Hall is our biggest player, with the next biggest starter being Smith at 138 LBS. We will have to run them to death to win.

CockeCounty could have given WC a better game. They were obviously tight and they fouled Iashia Hassell so many times it was stupid. Their was no need for all of the over the backs she got. Not smart playing on their part.

I agree that (older) Hassel is better than Hall--she is better than Dickson. That will be a GAME.

Isn't Wilson Central one of those "basketball schools" like Livingston Acadamy and McMinn Central and Maryville in football that everybody who thinks their kids have talent moves to so they can get a college scholarship?

As to the coaching, it is easy to be a "good coach" with all of that talent and size sitting on the bench. For a local team (with a MUCH lower population draw) which is not a "basketball school," MW, Cocke Co, and Greeneville have done extrememly well.

Also, South Greene wins my vote for the scrappiest team in the tourney so far. I have to say, they don't mind running the fast break down and giving a chuck and getting the foul. I don't think I have ever seen so many obviously deliberate fouls. I assume that that is for intimidation?

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

After seeing the games on Sat. I would have to agree that WC does look like the team to beat especially if they continue to shoot the three well and Hassell continues to dominate inside. Being familiar with middle TN girls basketball, I was unaware that Bethany Wright was now at WC. She was at siegel High in Murfreesbsoro last year right? Can someone shed any light on this transfer?

So Nutty-buddy, how's the officiating.....I'm in sunny Mexico and not sure who's picking up the Bean Barn lunch. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Calling South Greene scrappy is putting it very politically correct and nicely. We have been down this road before. I'll just say they are very physical and get pretty colorful with their language and their facial expressions. I do not think it intimidates good teams, but it certainly gets opposing fans pretty riled up.

Nut,

While perhaps not the same level, don't you think you may be discounting the demonstrated abilities of MW and Greenville to draw talent to their programs as well?

Well, I suppose it could be taken that way, but I have followed lots of girls over the years and I have watched girls move from county to county, from East TN to Middle TN, from West to Middle TN because they think middle TN has the best to offer their kid. I know you have been to the Boroh and MT Juliet, and all of the places in between and their population draw plus the kid move in draw is incredable (sp?).

Case in point is the post above about some girl's move from siegel to WC.

I think that East TN does a GREAT job with what they have and the moderate to modest ability that they have to draw local talent, but the ability of the middle TN schools to draw talent is greater than ours.

AND I am very proud of all of our East TN teams. I want us to wax the floor with the rest of the state--ha ha.

Actually, I am very impressed with South Greene at the moment. They are a great AA school. Well coached in their thuggy way.

Barb,

I think the officiating is pretty good except for this short, very round, ref. He calls the weirdest calls--he can't possibly see some of them because he is too short and standing behind the girls.

I have noticed that they are calling a lot of over the backs and reach ins so the girls need to keep their hands to themselves.

Hate I had to miss tonight's GHS / Maryville game. I thought the Lady Devils would have had this well in hand and then I heard something on the radio about Kelley not playing which would probably account for a loss of 10-12 points. Anyone know the story there? Injury or othewise? Heard the tail-end of the game on the radio on my way back into town. We've been travelling all through Christmas and am out of the loop... had hoped to come back to a MW - GHS rematch. Update please.

The officiating that I saw at the games on Saturday was okay except for the fact that 3-4 of the guys were completly out of shape and could not get up and down the floor. Not in position to make many of the calls that they made and some they did not make, which is better than making a call and guessing when they can't get down the floor. The same guys that called in this tournament 20 years ago are still trying to run the floor and they just cannot do it. It would serve the tournament better if the chairman or committee or whoever runs the tourney would insist on officials that are experienced and in shape, even if they have to go to the college ranks and get officials. I think that everyone would enjoy the tournament more with some officials on the floor that can move with the game. It is time to ask Lon Thornton and his crew of beer drinkers to move on to retirement.

Calling South Greene scrappy is putting it very politically correct and nicely. We have been down this road before. I'll just say they are very physical and get pretty colorful with their language and their facial expressions. I do not think it intimidates good teams, but it certainly gets opposing fans pretty riled up.

You just do not like South Greene and I have watched them play every game this week as well as all the others and they play very hard and I think EVERY team has a few of those players that use ugly words. Don't be a hater. God Bless