Henry County and Melrose

Red Dawn

Does anyone besides me find it rather strange that the last two times we have played at Melrose, they have had clock issues? Inquiring minds want to know. Regardless, this was a tremendous high school game between two great teams. Keep up the good work Patriots. Now go take care of Hillsboro.

Not only strange, but curiously ridiculous.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, its 10 in the morning the day after and I am still drained after that one! Way to go Patriots! That's the way to hang tough and fight it out under adverse conditions. The sign of a true champion. Though our first half performance was very sub-par, we were able to keep our composure and pull out the win. Second half showed a determined Big Red Defense. Once pressure was put on Toney, it became much harder for his receivers to "break free" for the downfield throws. Great game though. Now to respond to a few posters:

OMW - outstanding sportsmanship from you guys last night and the hospitality was incredible! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You guys have a great team minus one very important kicker!

TraderB - Last night was not the best of games for HC, particularly in the first half. But what spoke volumes to me is that it turned around in the second half. And you will have to admit that those were adverse conditions with no clock (that ran awful funny at the end of the game!). We'll see what the future holds.

huf - if you were not there you cannot speak for how poorly our offense executed plays in the first half. We have had 0 interceptions all year, I don't think any lost fumbles and only a few at all. But last night in the first five possessions we coughed it up 3 times. One of which may have been due to great defense, the other two just poor playing on our part and that HAS to be cleaned up this week.

All in all, it was an extremely exciting game that I feel privileged to have been a part of. My hats off to all of the Melrose players who gave it all and to the fans who specifically came up and congratulated the Patriots and said "Take care of Maryville for us!" So now its on to Nashville...

Roll Red ROLL!!!

I sat among the Melrose fans on our side. I asked them if the clock ever works, and they replied "This is the first time it aint worked this year." /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" SOMETHING could have and should have been done. Think about how many times you see officials screw up the clock when it is on the score board. In a game of this magnitude, SOMETHING should have been done.

RED WARRIOR, is there anything a coach can do in situations like this? Or is it pretty much you have to go along with whatever the officials want to do and deal with it? I am glad we won, talk about a controversy if Melrose had made the 2pt. conversion.

There is no option for a coach in a situation where the clock doesn't work. The officials keep it on the field. It appeared to me that one official was doing a good job of keeping the coaches informed. I just wish the fans would have known the time.

Actually, while this HC program had apparently been down for several years, this will be the third consecutive trip to the semi-finals. I don't think HC was looking ahead, I just think they finally played a "not so good" game, but still won. They had more turnovers last night than they have had in the last 7-8 games combined. Couple that, with facing a great defense, and great team speed, it says a lot that HC still won.

Understand, when a team shoots itself in the foot with turnovers it makes it harder to win, even if you are the best team.

We got business to take care of ourselves and Melrose is always tough. Good luck next week.

TraderB I always respect your opinion and I usually agree with you. I think a far greater problem for HC tonight was the time they allowed Toney to throw the ball. Even the best of DBs cant cover for as long as our guys were asked to cover. Now the trick flea flicker play just flat beat us. A couple of quick slants and a pass or two to #81 were problems but I would bet that Melrose did not throw for 200 yards tonight. I think our secondary had some problems tonight but not as grave as you describe. The time given to Toney was a bigger problem.

RealGame,

You have an excellent point there, RealGame.

The lack of an effective pass-rush creates a complex problem for the defense.

------------------------------------------------

HC is undefeated. The players and Coaching staff have done an excellent job, all year long. Most noticeably, they have never failed to get the job done. Never. That's a great sign!

Let's both hope that HC will continue this all-important trend.

---------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck vs Hillsboro. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sick 8 year old.....my wife said the way I was acting that I should have went ahead and gone to the game, sitting out in the cold in my car listening to it on the radio and all....lol

You missed out on a great game and some of the "85" players that now reside in memphis. Although they still were rootin for HC. HC's gonna have to kick it up a notch for next weeks game. Does anyone know how we stand on injuries? Heard #3 might have been hurt? We sure need to have everyone healthy for the fight we have ahead of us.

You missed out on a great game and some of the "85" players that now reside in memphis. Although they still were rootin for HC. HC's gonna have to kick it up a notch for next weeks game. Does anyone know how we stand on injuries? Heard #3 might have been hurt? We sure need to have everyone healthy for the fight we have ahead of us.

Wow, I graduated that year.....you figured out my identity? Had buddy tell me that he heard from pretty reliable source that 3 did hurt his shoulder, but guess we gonna have to wait on PatsDoc.....where is she?!?! BTW, yes, I will be at the game next week with bells on.

Not only strange, but curiously ridiculous.

Totally inexcuseable!

---------------------------------------

Heck, it ain't like Mphs Athletic Officials did NOT know that a football game was going to be played that night--a PLAYOFF game, no less! Therefore, one would think that somebody would go out and test the darn scoreboard, well beforehand -- that morning, afternoon....something!

I concede the possibility that the scoreboard "failed" at the last minute (I seriously doubt it, though). Nevertheless, I suggest that the likely "fix" is something to which Athletic Officials have much experience. The lack of a "fix" last night -- it suggests a very sad state of affairs, IMO.

I would definately say that Melrose had the best defense we have seen all year as far as team speed and hard tackling. The game should have ended with the score 28-20 but as expected the clock just happened to slow down to a stop when Melrose needed to catch up. Just for the record, on the 4th and 10 play that Tramarcus came up hobbled on HC side, he only got 9 of those yards. If it had happened on the other side of the field I could not comment on this but it happened right in front of me. The ref made a terrible spot on the ball and Gaddis let him know about it. I do not think the Pats were outplayed last night. I think they showed tremendous fight and a never give up attitude. We fumbled the ball in our own endzone, threw an int. in the endzone, and the fourth TD for Melrose should not have even happened because our defense stopped them on downs. With all of this being said, I believe Melrose played a tremendous game and I believe Tramarcus is a true DI QB. He throws with great velocity and accuracy. I do think reguardless of the records, Melrose was the best team in Reg. 8 and it showed. Thanks for the dogfight Melrose! Now we have to focus on Hillsboro.

the drive you speak of a horrible spot and the drove where HC stopped them on downs are the same drive which ended in a HC interception took to the house, so karma worked out in that situation.

The best team played a subpar game and STILL won. We had three turnovers and beat Melrose AT MELROSE! We outgained Melrose and came from behind with two TDs in the fourth quarter at the fabled Orange Mound. Melrose did not outplay us even at our worst but they are to be commended for a good game. They are easily the best defense we have seen. Last year we fell behind by three TDs and won. This year we dropped the ball in our end zone and threw an interception going into their end zone and STILL WON!!! It was a great game to watch but while Melrose is to congratulated for never quitting at the end they did not outplay us. If they had they would have destroyed us because we had an off night.

HC did not outgain melrose, I saw the stats. Plus HC had more turnovers than melrose so melrose outplayed them. but I've yet to see a HC fan say hey Melrose had a heck of a team. the melrose players had nothing to with the clock or the officiating. so give them credit for fighting just as hard as HC and playing one of the best and most intense games i've ever seen in person. Both teams fought hard. both showed great tenacity and miles and miles of heart out there on the field. So I'll say great job melrose and great job HC. Hopefully HC can break through this year and win a state championship for west tennessee. great job!

sorry but the pick is not what won the game. the stop on the two point conversion is what won the game. but anyways there is no since in trying to cheapen the game talk with your bs. the fact is tonight we saw a whale of a game between two great teams. hopefully the HC fans can give some credit where credit is due. and that is that melrose outplayed the patriots. they've got a heck of team. but the big red won. so good luck to the patriots in nash city, this is the one you MUST win.

Heisman, no way did Melrose outplay HC, they are an excellent football game but turning the Patriots over 3 times in the first half and leading by only 7 is not outplaying anyone. It was agreat game and I was not trying to take away from that, the better team won in a struggle, Melrose is obivously a very good football team. In what aspect would you say that Melrose outplayed the Patriots, we turned it over more but we also scored more, each team had a defensive td, each team had 3 offensive tds, special teams go to the Patriots, Remember the fumble the endzone that was the play after a great defensive stand by the Patriots.