Who is the best coach in 1A?

Well, it's obvious by this thread that there are a few good coaches in 1A.

Tony Lambert at Oneida is doing a good job as is Brent Kilpatrick at Greenback. Shelton (I believe that is his name) from Cosby was mentioned as well as Comer at McKenzie. All are doing good jobs. The coaches at Jo Byrns and Cascade probably deserve more credit than they get outside of their areas also. And Creasy at Trousdale may be the second coming of Clint. Time will tell.

I am of course a little biased towards Vic Grider here in South Pittsburg though. Sure, he has been blessed with talent and has used that talent to win 2 gold footballs. But it hasn't always been talent rich under his watch. The 2000 season was horrible as the Pirates only won 2 games on the field after graduating every starter from the championship team the year before. But he (and his staff) took most of that same bunch of kids from 2000 and got them to the semifinals the very next season. Has he had teams underachieve? Sure, 2003 is probably the best example. If you coach long enough it is going to happen at some point. But he has had teams that overachieved as well. I think he is one of those coaches though that the old quote can apply to: "He can take his'n and beat your'n or he can take your'n and beat his'n."

I am going to chime in and agree with ol Sailor here. I was thinking the same thing, in 2001 Vic coached a very over achieveing team to the semifinals. That is when I realized that he really was a good coach. When you are blessed with talent almost every year, it is hard to actually see how good a coach you have, but South Pittsburg is very blessed to have Vic Grider as head coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to chime in and agree with ol Sailor here. I was thinking the same thing, in 2001 Vic coached a very over achieveing team to the semifinals. That is when I realized that he really was a good coach. When you are blessed with talent almost every year, it is hard to actually see how good a coach you have, but South Pittsburg is very blessed to have Vic Grider as head coach.

this coach is not the best in 1a but i think he has the best coaching staff along with himself...... and that would be coach RICK RICE at wayne county i mean we have had some nice teams down here and they are well coached team i wouldnt trade one of our coaches for anyone else in the state in 1a.

Seriously guys, talent will get you 9 or 10 games a year, but not as many State Championship teams/contenders as SP has had. It takes a lot of hard work (in middle school as well) and some very good coaches. I can't even imagine how many phone calls coach Grider takes from parents and "helpful" fans. He should be on the short list. It's not as easy as it looks.