Springfield Jackets

B52Bomber

Everyone on here is quick to point fingers, when in 2006 just 2 years ago Springfield won that region posting a 9-1 record and went to the playoffs.. Coach Offutt is trying to the best with what he has. In 2006 he had a lot of talent and they won, in 2008 he didn't and they lost. Coaches are only as good as the players they coaching period. So you could bring Vince Lombardi back from the dead and coach Springfield and if they don't have the players to win they won't. I also agree with the ones that say that the coach needs more assistant coaches the more eyes you can have on the field the better.(as long as they are loyal to the head coach) I dont think Offut is doing anything different that he did in 2006 then he is doing now. So Springfield "FANS" better watch out before you lose a good coach.

I really dont care if I offended you but I dont have anything against Coach Offutt either. Also on his success in 2006 I give alot of that credit to Coach Arrington; the year b/4 he got there they were terrible, the year he was there they have an undefeated season, and the year after he left they were 1-9 and then they were 0-10 this year. Also dont talk like Springfiled does not have good talent year in year out b/c they do. That is 1 reason why people on these boards are so upset about the lack of success. Springfield never has alot of size but every year they have speed/quikness and guys that will hit you but they are not disciplined and like Offut or not that is on the ole ball coach. Another thing is the coaches he surrounds himself w/, those guys coaching there look like the 3 stooges. If you dont think Springfield has good players then you are not very familiar w/ the Springfield personel.....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When would you guys say this "downfall" started? After I graduated from JB I got to see SHS a couple of times when they played Pearl-Cohn with Baby Shaq and Co. The Jackets didn't win those games, but they didn't look terrible...and there was plenty of butts in the stands so I don't see the problem beginning there. They seem to make a run every now and then, but I only keep up with them through "The Times." Heck, this is the 1st thread I can remember seeing on coachT regarding The Jackets. That kind of says somthing to me. I got to know several SHS players during the 96-98 years, including the elder Wilson, and they all seemed committed to winning. They had a "want to" about them. Where did that go? My brother-in-law (Fisher) has one of those championship rings from '93. What did ya'll have then, other than a hoss at RB, that got you to the top? I'd like to know what coachT member AndyDufrane has to say.

Well referring to the question in bold; as a member of that team I can answer. Despite the fact that we had great athletes like always, we also had a very good coaching staff w/ players who over the past 3-4 years had been coached by guys by the names of Locke, Thomas, Bell, and Jones. As most know those guys have moved on to either to administrative positions or retired and coach in another state. In addition to that the coching staff in '93 had a really great offensive coach named Williams who has since moved about 10 minutes south and had alot of success as a head coach, also that had a fresh out of college coach (Mcdonald) who also has been around and definitely up to the task. Not to mention Coach Thomas was the head coach at the time. As far as players go we did have a Mr.Football winner that year but he won b/c of his versatiliy; he barely went over 1000 yards not b/c he was not a good RB but b/c we had a 2nd RB go over 1000 yards as well, not to mention a 3rd that had around 600. Defensively we were very fast and would really stick you. That really pretty much sums it.....

I agree was as good staff......but as always most moved on. What I am saying now is we are STILL hanging on to the remnants of that staff or those that slid in place of that staff. Times have changed.......ball has changed, expectaions and everything else remains. We need a someone who can come in with a fresh perspective and get it done.

Now is that time.........the perfect time. I am sure the powers that be......whoever that is.......understands and will be ready to make the changes needed. At least i HOPE so!!

Ok.....now talk about town is Coach Offutt has elected to stay on as head football coach. Congratulations to him......PLEASE go get us some assistants who have a clue as to what it takes to win! Our present staff is lacking to say the least! We need rough, tough, no nonsense football coaches who dont play favorites or chromosomes!

Ok.....now talk about town is Coach Offutt has elected to stay on as head football coach. Congratulations to him......PLEASE go get us some assistants who have a clue as to what it takes to win! Our present staff is lacking to say the least! We need rough, tough, no nonsense football coaches who dont play favorites or chromosomes!

I agree 100%; I know 1 of those types of coaches that was coaching on that staff a few years ago. He was told to lighten up w/ the players and not be so hard on them, the guy did not come back the next season. It is like I said b/4, I have nothing against Coach Offutt bt I really care about this football program and him electing to say really dissappoints me. I believe a change is needed for a turn around to occur and it starts w/ a change at head coach.....

Yeah, I'd say so! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> If you're at JB Friday, I'd like to meet you. Good luck to SHS in getting what ya'll need to turn the program around.

Well Shep that would be cool but as much as it pains me I have to work that night and it has been made mandatory so if I miss/call out I could lose my job. If you guys do win and make it to the burro though I believe I will be able to make out there and it would be a pleasure to meet you then.....

Wow.......now JB is recruiting on coacht.........that is a hoot!. Nevertheless........if the right hire is made, I would think that the stage of 5A football, thousands at home games, and a gold ball that has ALREADY been won at Springfield, would be more than enough to keep the kids home. I say again, the right hire is CRITICAL at this point, assuming of course that there actually is an opening. We need at least 6 coaches full time, a proven Head Coach, a committment by the administration towards becoming good again......and a little time...........IT COULD BE HUGE!!

Congrats to the Red Devils! What, what a job Coach Atkins has done up there with limited resourses. No one thought 5 or 10 years ago that JB would EVER challenge for a Championship, but that just goes to show you what the right man at the right place at the right time can get done if given time!!. Congrats again!

I THINK COACH OFFUT IS A SOLID COACH. I AGREE SPRINGFIELD NEEDS TO BUILD A CORE OF LOYAL ASSISTANTS. IF JOHN IS STAYING GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD SEND YOU A CORE OF QUALITY ASSISTANT COACHES.

EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT HOW GOOD SPRINGFIELD IS ATHLETICALLY AND SHOULD BE DOING BETTER. I AM GOING TO SAY THIS--PARENTS MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS ARE AT CONDITIONING WORKOUTS AND IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO PLAY--MAKE SURE HE PLAYS HIS FRESHMAN YEAR. HE MISSES THE CONDITIONING, PLAYING IN JV GAMES, AND LEARNING THE SYSTEM ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. SURE MOST FRESHMAN WILL NOT GET TO PLAY IMMEDIEATELY, BUT THAT IS A PROBLEM WE ALL AT TIMES WANT SOMETHING NOW. MAKE YOUR CHILD KNOWS THEY HAVE TO EARN THE RIGHT TO PLAY. THIS COULD ACTUALLY HELP HIM LEARN A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON. (PS IT MAY SEEM DISMAL RIGHT NOW, BUT WHEN IT IS DARKEST--THE LIGHT IS BOUND TO SHINE--THE TURN AROUND MAY BE SOONER THAN LATER)

EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT HOW GOOD SPRINGFIELD IS ATHLETICALLY AND SHOULD BE DOING BETTER. I AM GOING TO SAY THIS--PARENTS MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS ARE AT CONDITIONING WORKOUTS AND IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO PLAY--MAKE SURE HE PLAYS HIS FRESHMAN YEAR. HE MISSES THE CONDITIONING, PLAYING IN JV GAMES, AND LEARNING THE SYSTEM ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. SURE MOST FRESHMAN WILL NOT GET TO PLAY IMMEDIEATELY, BUT THAT IS A PROBLEM WE ALL AT TIMES WANT SOMETHING NOW. MAKE YOUR CHILD KNOWS THEY HAVE TO EARN THE RIGHT TO PLAY. THIS COULD ACTUALLY HELP HIM LEARN A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON.

Good point. Conditioning is a huge indicator of what a team is going to be able to do and what the team attitude is. I noticed this a few years ago when the county lift-a-thon would take place. Greenbrier was fortunate enough at the time to be in their strong years and would win the lift-a-thon with a strong showing. The surprising thing was that Springfield would finish toward the bottom. There's no way that a school the size of Springfield should have finished below A and AA schools. If you're not going to pay your dues in the weight room you're not going to have a successful team. That's where it all begins. The parents need to encourage it and the players need to dedicate themselves to it.

I could not agree more. We need a weight room guy who understands that in todays time, you have no chance AT ALL without the time spent lifting. Also, I dont know if this is a problem or not, but the 2 and 3 sport athletes MUST have workouts in the offseason of football even though it is the game season for basketball or baseball. I dont know if there is a "coaches working together" problem at Springfield.......but if it is it must be fixed for ANY sport to have ANY chance of peak perfomance.