Vacancy at Portland High School

HCnPT

Is is my understanding that Portland High School football coach Mike Bever has resigned from his post with the Panthers. My sympathy goes out to Coach Bever and his staff. They are a fine group of men. However, when a coach leaves, another must enter. Does anyone have any thoughts on people of interest for this position? Does the position hold any appeal in coaching circles? My thoughts are that Portland was a 3A Powerhouse in recent years and they can be a competitive member of 5A football as well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is is my understanding that Portland High School football coach Mike Bever has resigned from his post with the Panthers. My sympathy goes out to Coach Bever and his staff. They are a fine group of men. However, when a coach leaves, another must enter. Does anyone have any thoughts on people of interest for this position? Does the position hold any appeal in coaching circles? My thoughts are that Portland was a 3A Powerhouse in recent years and they can be a competitive member of 5A football as well.

You honestly think that Portland can play 5a football with the kids tey got and the numbers they have as a school give me a break

You honestly think that Portland can play 5a football with the kids tey got and the numbers they have as a school give me a break

I don't think we'll be competitve in this 5A region, as it stands right now. The new coach would have to be someone that got everything out of every player, and walked the halls to make sure every bit of talent is out there ... and still may not have enough to compete in the region. Very unfortunate turn of events, to make the AAA cut, for all Portland sports, IMO. All the coaches need to be out recruiting Westmoreland and East Robertson areas to get families to move, if they haven't already.

Portland can more than compete they can win that region. Bring in a good coach that can teach techinique, have discipline, and get all out of their players. The coach will have to be a motivator and get all the talent that roams the halls to come out. I know for a fact that Portland has as much talent in the school that a Hendersonville or Beech has, but they need a coach/scheme that can make it work.

Portland can more than compete they can win that region. Bring in a good coach that can teach techinique, have discipline, and get all out of their players. The coach will have to be a motivator and get all the talent that roams the halls to come out. I know for a fact that Portland has as much talent in the school that a Hendersonville or Beech has, but they need a coach/scheme that can make it work.

PORTLAND HAS A GREAT FOOTBALL TRADITION.I THINK THEY NEED A COACH THAT WAS PLAYING IN THE MID TO LATE 90'S,SOMEONE LIKE A TIM HODGES,GEORGE CARROL OR EVEN MATT TAYLOR.I DONT KNOW WHAT THOSE GUYS HAVE GOING ON NOW A DAYS BUT THOSE GUYS THAT I REMEMBER LINING UP AGAINST WERE CHAMPIONS.THERE IS PLENTY OF TALENT WALKING THOSE HALLS JUST LIKE IN SPRINGFIELD.I HOPE SOMEBODY CAN STEP UP AND TAKE THE BURDEN OF THAT FOOTBALL TEAM AND MAKE PORTLAND A GREAT FOOTBALL PROGRAM AGAIN.

You have got to be joking Portland does not have talent walking the halls sorry its a fact and coach bever had the discipline you have got to have players to even get close to compete in the new region watch the basketball team their is no athletes on their or baseball they got just as much athletes on their bowling team as they do in any other sport and its not the kids fault. Portland is just in a cyle where there is not much to work with right now. It may get better then again it might not who knows what will happen.

It seems that I remember a few years back when Portland was still strong and then there was some type of division that came between the football and basketball programs. From what I heard the basketball players that played football gave it up and the football team lost a lot of talent. Was there anything to this?

I remember that as well. Who knows........but the district they have been put in is very challenging. Any chance of Coach Perry coming back to save the sinking ship?

All that happend when corey brewer quit football for basketball but he had a excuse obviously then everybody wanted to follow him now every little kid in portland thinks that they are the next corey brewer of course they are not going to be. Coach Perry coming back not a chance he is smarter than that.

Portland needs to talk to Jay Gore at Brentwood High. His resume includes:

Head Coach at East Robertson, Assistant Coach at BGA, Assistant Coach at David Lipscomb, Assistant Coach at Hillsboro, and now the line coach at Brentwood. He's been to the State Championship game on nearly every level.

Portland is a rural community that is competing in a district that has a lot of up in coming cities. In the cities that Portland plays, you can go to a good restaurant, to a wal-mart, buy shoes/clothes, or go to a movie. You can do none of that stuff in Portland. Why would anyone want to travel outside their city to do all that? The average income in Portland does not compete with any of the other cities, nor does the average price you can buy a house for. So what I am saying is that Portland is attracting a different type of family (athlete) than the other schools/cities are. And that combination has been the down fall of Portland since 2002. Not to mention anything about academics, which Portland is on the states probation list over there graduation rate. So I am saying who ever is looking into taking the Portland job you will need more than a few years to turn it around, but you have a principle and a town that wont give you the time or the support if you are not winning.