Air Horns

BlueDevilPride

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to let you know that in the 1st quarter DeKalb was told to stop, they just didn't have an announcer to tell them, it came from sidelines. DeKalb quit until WH continued to blow theirs after they were warned by their announcer at half time, so some fans took it upon themselves to keep on going like the WH side. At that point there would have been no way they could have penalized either side without tssaa getting major complaints. I think the ref's lack of consistency was the issue... it came down to the train horn imo.

Did not realize that.

Shep - My name is Shep...and I am a noise maker.

Group of fellow noise makers - Hello, Shep.

Shep - I have proudly taken the fence for 12 years now. Cowbell in one hand. Airhorn in the other. I recieved a warning once from a ref for blowing a horn at "an inopportune time" while the visitors were on offense. I proudly responded to the ref that I was a one man band. No different than what some entire marching bands do.

Group of fellow noise makers - Tell us more Shep.

Shep - I firmly believe that we, huggers of the fence, have a duty to cheer on our team by any means of making noise necessary. There is a 12th man on every level of the game. We are the 12th man. If there is a parent out there that has any dream of their kid playing on Saturdays (no matter how big of a pipe dream it might be - let's take playing at Neyland for example), it is our job to prepare them for playing with noise. It's part of the game. This is not golf, tennis, bowling, or 9 ball. A FOOTBALL team expects noise, and feeds off of noise. We should give them noise. As much noise as possible. If you have a team, or single player, that has jumped off sides "because of a horn," you are mistaken. The horn did not cause them to jump, flinch, or move in any way. It was poor discipline and/or poor coaching. If you are truly preparing you kid for the future (even one that may include said pipe dream of them playing at a loud stadium on Saturday), prepare them for the whole future. The real future. Not one without noise at a FOOTBALL game.

Shep - My name is Shep...and I am a noise maker.

Group of fellow noise makers - Hello, Shep.

Shep - I have proudly taken the fence for 12 years now. Cowbell in one hand. Airhorn in the other. I recieved a warning once from a ref for blowing a horn at "an inopportune time" while the visitors were on offense. I proudly responded to the ref that I was a one man band. No different than what some entire marching bands do.

Group of fellow noise makers - Tell us more Shep.

Shep - I firmly believe that we, huggers of the fence, have a duty to cheer on our team by any means of making noise necessary. There is a 12th man on every level of the game. We are the 12th man. If there is a parent out there that has any dream of their kid playing on Saturdays (no matter how big of a pipe dream it might be - let's take playing at Neyland for example), it is our job to prepare them for playing with noise. It's part of the game. This is not golf, tennis, bowling, or 9 ball. A FOOTBALL team expects noise, and feeds off of noise. We should give them noise. As much noise as possible. If you have a team, or single player, that has jumped off sides "because of a horn," you are mistaken. The horn did not cause them to jump, flinch, or move in any way. It was poor discipline and/or poor coaching. If you are truly preparing you kid for the future (even one that may include said pipe dream of them playing at a loud stadium on Saturday), prepare them for the whole future. The real future. Not one without noise at a FOOTBALL game.

Shep you are not right /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I can agree that noise, IF you have enough of it, can disrupt the offensive side of the ball. Outside of that, I fail to see how making noise when my team has the ball has any benefit. Once the play starts, there's not a player among the 22 on the field that's thinking about the sound coming from his mom's bottle of rocks.

Dang man, it's been a while. As far as "once the play starts," I agree with you. It's the whole "before and after" the play that players feed on.

Shep - I firmly believe that we, huggers of the fence, have a duty to cheer on our team by any means of making noise necessary. There is a 12th man on every level of the game. We are the 12th man. This is not golf, tennis, bowling, or 9 ball. A FOOTBALL team expects noise, and feeds off of noise. We should give them noise. As much noise as possible. If you have a team, or single player, that has jumped off sides "because of a horn," you are mistaken.

I can agree that noise, IF you have enough of it, can disrupt the offensive side of the ball. Outside of that, I fail to see how making noise when my team has the ball has any benefit. Once the play starts, there's not a player among the 22 on the field that's thinking about the sound coming from his mom's bottle of rocks.

And players standing on the sideline... don't turn around to the fans and motion for the fans to get loud.

And players standing on the sideline... don't turn around to the fans and motion for the fans to get loud.

airhorns.... Some guy at the FCS games has an airhorn. Guy just loves to blow it for too long at every chance he gets. It's very loud and annoying. He sits on one end of the bleachers and there is usually not too many people sitting around him or in front of him.

They made him stop blowing it at the South Pitt game last Friday and most of the crowd on the FCS side started cheering. He got the idea from Gordonsville. for some reason we decided that we needed to copy Gordonsville.

It's about as obnoxious as Trousdale's band playing the entire time the opposing team is on offence. I've heard a lot of people say they think it's against the rules to do that. Whether it is or not, I don't know. But it is Bush league and shows a lack of class. IMO

The refs aren't consistent on enforcing the rule either.

You could also include the bands that continually play when they're not supposed to.

Problem is not one for the refs, it's for the home administration to deal with. There's nothing in the rule book, or in any directive from TSSAA, regarding bands or fans with noisemakers.

i thought you were aloud to have artificial noise makers, as long as its an OUTDOOR event. because they're used in soccer all the time(air horns) and wouldnt that knock out the use of cowbells too?

Oooooooooh Noooooo, you don't! Cowbells are exempt. Any substitute teacher that doesn't like them can simply find another substitute teaching job elsewhere, OR GO HOME!!!!! WE DON'T CARE WHICH! (And you know who you are, Missy!)