Top 10 College Wrestlers

cbg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not at all i was just correcting where someone misspoke about his career......someone else would know better than me but i think its roughly 40 competing schools in d2 with 8 becoming all americans.....so i am def not trying to compare .....the level of wrestling is not comparable nor is the number of schools....that being said i take nothing away from anyone who is a d2 all american cause i never even came close...anyway my point was just to correct that previous mistake---Steven

Lowe should definitely be a 3 or 4 because the guy was a 4x AA. I also think that Keller should be a little higher because of multiple AA.

How do you place anyone higher than Harlow & Leen? Simpson was a qualifier his plebe season, All-American as both a Sophmore & Junior (while wrestling up a weight classification) and finished in 2nd place to Espo of Okie St. his senior season. All of this was done at the USMA & without the benefit of a redshirt season. Marable finished 3rd last season and is ranked #1 this season, so how could Keller or Lowe be ranked higher than what they are? What top D1 AA did Lowe defeat?

How do you place anyone higher than Harlow & Leen? Simpson was a qualifier his plebe season, All-American as both a Sophmore & Junior (while wrestling up a weight classification) and finished in 2nd place to Espo of Okie St. his senior season. All of this was done at the USMA & without the benefit of a redshirt season. Marable finished 3rd last season and is ranked #1 this season, so how could Keller or Lowe be ranked higher than what they are? What top D1 AA did Lowe defeat?

Couldn't agree more so far cbg.

Harlow and Leen are definitely tops. I know Harlow won a title but not sure about AA finishes (just don't know his total history). Leen might be able to edge him out there, especially considering he has another year left.

Right now Simpson has to be ahead of Marable with the runner-up finish and 3x AA beating a 3rd place, single AA. Marable could however climb above that with two more seasons to go. Interesting question would be, lets says Marable finishes 3rd all 3 years: Does his consistently high place beat Simpson one runner-up and 2 lower AA finishes?

If memory serves (no time to check right now) Keller was a multiple time AA so he could make argument to be ahead of Marable right now. If he was only a 1x AA then Marable stays ahead.

While I certainly wouldn't degrade a lower division champ or AA as they are still much better than I ever was, they would need some pretty strong credentials to unseat a multiple time DI AA. Lowe does have the multiple championships but before I would move him ahead of a multiple AA in DI I would need to check Lowe's record against DI athletes to get a better feel for it.

Couldn't agree more so far cbg.

Harlow and Leen are definitely tops. I know Harlow won a title but not sure about AA finishes (just don't know his total history). Leen might be able to edge him out there, especially considering he has another year left.

Right now Simpson has to be ahead of Marable with the runner-up finish and 3x AA beating a 3rd place, single AA. Marable could however climb above that with two more seasons to go. Interesting question would be, lets says Marable finishes 3rd all 3 years: Does his consistently high place beat Simpson one runner-up and 2 lower AA finishes?

If memory serves (no time to check right now) Keller was a multiple time AA so he could make argument to be ahead of Marable right now. If he was only a 1x AA then Marable stays ahead.

While I certainly wouldn't degrade a lower division champ or AA as they are still much better than I ever was, they would need some pretty strong credentials to unseat a multiple time DI AA. Lowe does have the multiple championships but before I would move him ahead of a multiple AA in DI I would need to check Lowe's record against DI athletes to get a better feel for it.

ghouse,

One thing to remember is that some of these guys benefited from having a redshirt season. Leen, Marable, Langford (did he not receive a 6th year due to military service?) and Keller have all had some type of redshirt season. I am not sure how Leen did it with the Ivy League rules but he was not on the Cornell roster one season. While Philip Simpson did very well at the USMA I would like to look into a crystal ball and see how he would have done if he could have redshirted and been at a school like Iowa, Penn State, Lehigh, Cornell, etc... Very rigid academics, school military requirements, no redshirt season combined with elite level college wrestling would reduce most anyones chances to win the NCAA D1 individual national championship.

1. Bill Harlow

2. Jordan Leen

3. Philip Simpson

4. Waylon Lowe

5. Randy Batten

6. Matt Keller

7. Nick Marable

8. Cody Cleveland

9. Raymond Dunning

10. Heath Eslinger

The first 3 enough said. All were at least DI national finalists in their careers. Lowe is 4 because the guy was a 3 time champion and OW. Regardless of Division, this is a tremendous feat. Randy Batten was also a 3 time champion. Not sure if he was an OW so the nod goes to Lowe. Keller was a two time DI AA. Marable and Cleveland are both single time DI AA's at this point so they fall in at 7 & 8. Dunning is a two time DII AA with some significant DI wins. Eslinger, if I am not mistaken, is the career leader in wins at UTC. With all the great TN wrestlers that have been at UTC this is noteworthy enough to merit the 10 spot.

I am not sure where he was from but I know Turner Jackson was a mult DII champion. Is he a native Tennessean?